Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store - Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> The Pub

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Terrence McKenna

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineMXNR
Did the Mushroom choose you?
Male

Loc: MARS
Terence McKenna talks about Panspermia?
    #4468338 - 07/29/05 11:25 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Hey All,

Has anyone here ever heard of "PanSpermia" ? I can across and interview with Terence McKenna with High Times where he mentions this idea. It has spurred a bit of research on my part and I've found some interesting info. For example the man who came up with the theory of PanSpermia was Francis Crick, the man who discovered the structure of DNA. I still don't know what to think. Anyway, I thought I would share this crazy idea and see is any Shroomers have any feedback. Here are a few links relevant:

1) Wikipedia entry- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panspermia

2) McKenna Interview (the panspermia part is near the top, the fifth thing McKenna says)- http://users.lycaeum.org/~sputnik/mckenna/ hightime.html

3) Discussing Crick's Theory- http://www.pathlights.com/ce_encyclopedia/20hist11.htm

Also, a quick Google search for Panspermia, strong panspermia, crick will yield you much.

Let me just say this though, something this research has got me thinking. Okay, DNA serves as a memory storage device for life. It (nearly) stops life from mutating in random directions and focuses a creature towards what works based on its ancestor's surviving in the past. Okay, my question is this, why is it that in the history of the planet earth (at least) there is only one such chemical/memory storage device, DNA? Why did not a few chemical storage devices come about to serve the same purpose? Look at flight. Bats, Birds, Bugs, and fish all evolved this ability (I know the fish are arguable) COMPLETELY INDEPENDENTLY. This happened because clearly there was an advantage for creatures (of all branches of life) to enter the sky and it happened. Obviously the ability to "learn" in an evolutionary sense is a HUGE advantage for life. Before chemical/memory life must have been much like a replicating molecule, making exact copies or random variations with no memory of it, no ability to grow more complex. So the essential question is this, are we to believe that chemical memory evolved only once, in the form of DNA? I mean, why aren't there equivalents, like FDS or SNA that serve the same function? One would almost expect to perform a test on some creature on this planet and find that it uses a different trait-storage/chemical memory system completely.

What do you guys think?

--------------------
Master: Everyday change your clothes and eat your food and you will become enlightened.

Pupil: Master, I do not understand...

Master: If you don't understand, eat your food and change your clothes.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Terrence McKenna

Community >> The Pub