Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Agar, Malt Extract, Paul Stamets, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineJeremy_Davis
Mycelial NetworkAdministrator
Male User Gallery

Loc: Florida
Creating a genetic memory?
    #4468248 - 07/29/05 10:38 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Hello Everyone!
I'm interested to know if anyone has ever tried this. I read somewhere that it is possible to use your fruiting substrate in your agar and LC to create a genetic memory of the substrate in the mycelial data banks, optimizing the growth potential of the strain and matching substrate. I'm interested in using a locally available compost from a dairy farm to grow pink oysters on. At $5/1500lbs. it's just More cost effective than wheat straw, available at $11/a bale (about 50lbs). So I'm interested in using a sterile filtrate (made by making a "compost tea" by boiling 1 cup compost per gallon of water, then filtering it through a succession of micron screens), and adding the filtrate to hydrate my agar before sterilizing and pouring plates. Then I'm wondering if I need to start from spores to optimize the genetic recognition, transfer a few times to isolate rhizomorphic growth (while using the compost-agar plates for transfer to increase genetic recognition), or if I can use transfers from MEA plates, use tissue culture, etc. Once the rhizo growth is non-sectoring on the plates, I'll transfer it to LC using an Eberbach blender to a solution of the compost tea filtrate, and 1 tsp karo/cup filtrate tea. ( I know dark colors are hard to see contams, but I check the culture in agar before expanding anyway)
Here's the tricky part and the heart of my question. Once it grows out for 4-10 days, I'd like to try to inoculate it directly into the pasteurized compost (fruiting substrate), removing the necessity for grain spawn. Stamets seems to hint that this is possible in GGMM, but I'm interested in finding someone who's tried this and gear their experiences. This would be great, as it would remove the cost and necessity for using grains to spawn to bulk composts. Thanks in advance for your time and help,
Jeremy Davis

--------------------
Jeremy Davis
Educational Concerns for Hunger Organization, Inc.
Check out the ECHO mushroom blog page to see our lab, growing facility, and more-www.echotech.org/greta

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinexburn
V card
Re: Creating a genetic memory? [Re: Jeremy_Davis]
    #4473094 - 07/30/05 09:25 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

JUst a thought when you make your LC go with a Malt/dex combo or somehting not at all compost related. On the agar you already isolated a gentic that is hopefully and probably geared for the compost. I have read multiple times and from Stamets i believe that this can lower the chances for senscens (lol) anyways. Just a thought.

--------------------
Check out the official MushroomWiki at http://www.mushroomwiki.com. Stop by and contribute.

Offlinemattymonkey
Feel Like aStranger...
 User Gallery

Re: Creating a genetic memory? [Re: Jeremy_Davis]
    #4476583 - 07/31/05 09:29 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

sounds like an interesting idea jeremy, growing oysters on compost..

i have added powdered straw to my agar before for oysters, the same straw i was going to use for fruiting, but didnt setup side by side comparrisons to see if it helped..

im not sure but i think starting edible strains from spores is a good amount of work.. id try it w/ a isolate first, just introducing it to an compost laden agar so that it does have that memory as it goes down the line.. i think you only need to add it at one part during the process for it to have the memory..

skipping the grain stage would be a really great deal.. im not sure totally if its possible, but perhaps in spawn bags, with a mix of grain and compost, maybe 50/50, that would give it adequate consistency to work out.. i think its worth a try, in many different ratios, and even compost by itself.. you may be able to use just pasteurized compost in spawn bags that are sealed w/ a filter patch, but i would use a large amount of LC per bag, like 150ml worth..
its all worth a try.. gl

--------------------
"listening for the secret.. searching for the sound.."

OfflineJeremy_Davis
Mycelial NetworkAdministrator
Male User Gallery

Loc: Florida
Re: Creating a genetic memory? [Re: mattymonkey]
    #4478101 - 07/31/05 08:07 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I jst read a post in the grow log forum of someone using a direct liquid to substrate technique. It didn't use the fruiting sub in the LC, but used 50/50 WBS/buffalo manure, and successfully fruited, so this seems definitely possible. What about using a 50-50 verm/ compost mix to inject LC? The post I'm referencing also said that the grower used 140ml LC. Thanks! Did you get my cultures?
The reishi is a local Florida isolate I cloned from tissue, it will fruit at very high temps (even 90F +)
Enjoy,
JD

--------------------
Jeremy Davis
Educational Concerns for Hunger Organization, Inc.
Check out the ECHO mushroom blog page to see our lab, growing facility, and more-www.echotech.org/greta

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Agar, Malt Extract, Paul Stamets, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms