Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
Thinking about going into a spiritual retreat...need some advice.
    #4466296 - 07/28/05 08:50 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Hello,

WEll, recently I've been thinking about leaving "real life" for awhile and going on a spiritual retreat of some sort.

What's weird is that as soon as I wrote the above sentence I got this incredible rush of deja-vu, as though I had written that before.

I've never actually been away from people I love. TWICE I tried to go camping alone for a week and came back on the very next day.

There's just so much going on inside me right now...you know what I mean? And I think I'd like time away from everything to think about it. Away from pot, my writing, my cats, my friends and even my husband. I want some time alone, to think, to have a period of time for "just me."

I want a time where I can think about what I believe, and maybe have someone who "knows" there to guide me, like a teacher.

The thing is, I don't know where to start. I was thinking about looking for spiritual retreats around Texas I could attend. But I wouldn't even know what "type" of spiritual retreat (in our fragmented world, everything has to have a "type") to go to.

Any advice?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblegoobler
Reanimated
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Thinking about going into a spiritual retreat...need some advice. [Re: MOTH]
    #4466298 - 07/28/05 08:52 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

didnt you just say a few days ago you wanted to get a job????

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
Re: Thinking about going into a spiritual retreat...need some advice. [Re: MOTH]
    #4466322 - 07/28/05 08:58 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

It was pretty hard to be alone with yourself huh? :grin:

I suggest doing just that. Find a retreat that just will allow you to be alone. I've heard of them. You get a small hut or house, and there is no place to go. They just drop of food to you once or twice a day. You sit with whatever comes up and you have to go through the DTs/ withdrawal from distracting yourself.(scary stuff :grin:)  This would be great and you wouldn't have to worry about someone trying to convert you to anything. :heart: :mushroom2:

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

OfflineDreamer987
The VerbalHerman Munster
Female

Loc: Texas
    #4466328 - 07/28/05 08:59 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Just having some time to yourself to clear your head might be what you need.
Mabey if you saved up some money, you could take a vacation, and chill on a beach, go camping, or rent a cabin somewher.

--------------------

InvisibleAliceDee
-L S D-
Male
Re: Thinking about going into a spiritual retreat...need some advice. [Re: goobler]
    #4466332 - 07/28/05 09:00 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

go on some kind of road trip.... this winter im gonna go to colorado and try to go to every ski resort there is while living out of my truck.... snowboarding everyday, all day will be very spiritual for me... being around nature with absolute quiteness... and getting huge addrenaline rushes going 20 ft into the air.... all i gotta do is find out how i can shower during this... so i might have check into some hotels... or hopefully meet some cool boarders and sleep on their couches aslong i buy some beer for the night...

Invisiblegoobler
Reanimated
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Thinking about going into a spiritual retreat...need some advice. [Re: Dreamer987]
    #4466334 - 07/28/05 09:00 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

life is its own retreat

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
    #4466343 - 07/28/05 09:01 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

You could find a drum gathering

--------------------

InvisibleTYL3R
I'm a teapot User Gallery

#4466345 - 07/28/05 09:02 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

isolation tank session ?

OfflineBobo
Tongue
 User Gallery

Loc: Next to Kitty (Yahweh)
Re: Thinking about going into a spiritual retreat...need some advice. [Re: AliceDee]
    #4466346 - 07/28/05 09:02 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

AliceDee said:
go on some kind of road trip.... this winter im gonna go to colorado and try to go to every ski resort there is while living out of my truck.... snowboarding everyday, all day will be very spiritual for me...  being around nature with absolute quiteness...  and getting huge addrenaline rushes going 20 ft into the air....  all i gotta do is find out how i can shower during this... so i might have check into some hotels... or hopefully meet some cool boarders and sleep on their couches aslong i buy some beer for the night...

Yeah.  Just get out and hike or camp for awhile.  That'll give you plenty of time to think.  Doesn't sound like you need a spiritual "teacher," maybe just some extended quiet time. 

And bring a radio along so you can listen to NPR.  :wink:

--------------------
OneMoreRobot3021 said:
the pub mods are a cancer on our society as a whole.
pantsboy said:
Do kittens contain mescaline?  Because they should.

My GF & ME :heart:

Invisiblegoobler
Reanimated
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Thinking about going into a spiritual retreat...need some advice. [Re: Shroomism]
    #4466350 - 07/28/05 09:02 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

you NEED to make some music

you are sliding away

:headbanger:

InvisibleHELLA_TIGHT
Madge the Smoking Vag
Female User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Afghanistan Flag
Re: Thinking about going into a spiritual retreat...need some advice. [Re: Bobo]
    #4466364 - 07/28/05 09:05 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I want to go camping soon. I think I need to get some LSD or mushrooms and go camp by myself. I need to clear the crust from my 3rd eye :rockon:

--------------------

OfflineBobo
Tongue
 User Gallery

Loc: Next to Kitty (Yahweh)
Re: Thinking about going into a spiritual retreat...need some advice. [Re: HELLA_TIGHT]
    #4466406 - 07/28/05 09:12 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Avoid poison ivy.  Pick a big dirt circle so you can roll around when your ego flies off into the lake.  :smirk:

--------------------
OneMoreRobot3021 said:
the pub mods are a cancer on our society as a whole.
pantsboy said:
Do kittens contain mescaline?  Because they should.

My GF & ME :heart:

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Re: Thinking about going into a spiritual retreat...need some advice. [Re: goobler]
    #4466423 - 07/28/05 09:16 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

goobler said:
didnt you just say a few days ago you wanted to get a job????

Yes. But I have more time to get a job then I thought, so I'm going to do what I feel like doing instead.

It would be nice to do the retreat before getting shackled down in a job. That way I'd be totally clear headed.

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Re: Thinking about going into a spiritual retreat...need some advice. [Re: Icelander]
    #4466444 - 07/28/05 09:20 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Icelander said:
It was pretty hard to be alone with yourself huh? :grin:

I suggest doing just that. Find a retreat that just will allow you to be alone. I've heard of them. You get a small hut or house, and there is no place to go. They just drop of food to you once or twice a day. You sit with whatever comes up and you have to go through the DTs/ withdrawal from distracting yourself.(scary stuff :grin:)  This would be great and you wouldn't have to worry about someone trying to convert you to anything. :heart: :mushroom2:

That's a really good idea.

Invisiblegoobler
Reanimated
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #4466460 - 07/28/05 09:23 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

very nice that your husband provides all this

what does he think?

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

#4466491 - 07/28/05 09:28 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I haven't talked to him about it yet because I wanted to make sure it's what I really want to do first before I bring it up. My husband has been so good to me. I know I've been fortunate to have him support me while I dabble around trying to figure out what I want to do. He'll miss me like crazy. I'll miss him too...we've never really been away from one another for a long time. Only once, when he went to Europe for 2 months and that was when we first got together almost 4 years ago. Missing him will be the hardest part if I do this retreat.

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Loc: Passing Cloud
    #4466535 - 07/28/05 09:37 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

IVe been thinking the same thing, thinking about leaving here sometime in august, and just going somewhere alone, somewhere where i can be in nature and just rest and contemplate on my own. I would imagine, thinking of a place that best "rings" with you, a place where you can go and "meditate" and really let go of things for a while.

Whats with Texas? This place drives me nuts!!

InvisibleHeavyToilet
The Heaviest OfThem All
Male

Loc: British Columbia
    #4466560 - 07/28/05 09:42 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I've wanted to go to this Buddhist temple, where you can undergo a sort of meditation retreat.

Basically you meditate for 10 hours, for 10 days. The whole time you do not speak to anyone. The temple is located on top of a mountain on an island that is a ferry ride away from Vancouver Island (or so I've heard). It's free, but you must make a donation. Supposedly the temple has been offering this for decades as well.

I think it would be a real test of the mind.

Probably a little too far away for you but I thought I'd share anyways...

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Re: Thinking about going into a spiritual retreat...need some advice. [Re: HeavyToilet]
    #4466611 - 07/28/05 09:53 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Wow, that sounds like an incredible challenge. I do know there's a huge Buddhist temple somewhere around Austin...I'll check them out and see if they offer anything like that.

Wherever I go, I want to be gone for at least 7 days.

Invisiblegoobler
Reanimated
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #4466643 - 07/28/05 09:58 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

what if your husband wanted to do this?

what would you say?

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies