Home | Community | Message Board

Shroom Supply
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleVeritas
 User Gallery
Right Livelihood
    #4464683 - 07/28/05 03:28 PM (12 years, 24 days ago)

I've been giving this concept a lot of thought lately, as I am very dissatisfied with my job. I know that my responsibilities at work do not call upon the qualities I value in myself. Each day drags on, I notice each minute ticking by, and force my attention back to the tasks I find increasingly boring and meaningless.

I did not take this job for any reason other than the paycheck (which is enough to cover the basics, but not to get out of debt or accumulate ANY savings.) The work is uninteresting to me, and has always been so. I am not burnt out, just feeling the same way I have always felt.

What is increasing my discontent is the REST of my life! Strange as it may sound, the more wonderful my life away from work gets, the more unhappy I am at work. I want more time for the activities and people I enjoy!

I hold myself back from pursuing self-employment, telling myself that I cannot risk it. I have to be the grown-up, I have two kids to support, bills to pay, student loans to re-pay, etc...

The work I love to do, I do for free all the time. My bliss is in encouraging others, sharing what I have learned, showing them love and acceptance. My dream "job" is Life Coaching/Writing/Teaching. There are no Help Wanted ads for this position, so the only person who can hire me IS me.

My sense is that this is blocking my growth, and that I need to muster up the energy to move forward.

Has anyone else confronted this issue? Does your work add or detract from your spirituality/growth? How have you dealt with this issue?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleredtailedhawk
Explorer of the Mystery
 User Gallery

Loc: The Old Continent
Re: Right Livelihood [Re: Veritas]
    #4465809 - 07/28/05 08:45 PM (12 years, 23 days ago)

I was seriously dissatisfied at my previous job and fostered the same anxieties before I decided to quit. Looking back, my only regret is that I didn't do it months (years?) earlier! I am self-employed at the moment and although my financial situation has taken a beating I only wished I did it long time ago. I can't afford to buy as many things as I did before but that doesn't matter; I have all the time under the sun, I sleep until noon and work at night and only for a few hours a day, I go for a swim each day or take long walk in the woods, I can read book for a few days and then work a few, my clients are much more human and light-spirited than the ones I used to work with, etc. I never knew this was possible. I also thought work equals suffering. And man did I suffer.

So, reading your post Veritas I can identify 100% and I truly hope you will start to move into the direction of your dreams before you grow more and more dissatisfied and depressed and one day you just won't care anymore.

The process of reinventing a career is not done overnight, but over many months and years of experimenting; learning and implementing different options you learn about on the way. But it can be fun and exciting!

This is what I suggest you do:

Keep your existing job for a while and go really frugal. Start saving money every possible way you can. There's a lot of good advice on this topic out there; do a Google search on "frugal living" and "voluntary simplicity" to find out more. Make a budget and stick to it. You will need to support yourself and your family for many months once you quit your job and before your business takes hold. Your savings will be your safety net.

Identify, find and contact life coaches, writers and other potentially like-minded people and ask them how they made it, what problems have they encountered on the way, what would they suggest in your situation (free of charge). Be honest and friendly. Most likely they will identify with you and give you some helpful advice and also break some of the illusion you may harbour about this job. 

While you keep going to your existing job, saving money and building a network of contacts, start experimenting with various options for building your business, using advice given by the people you have contacted and maybe even enrol to Life Coach school and get a diploma/certificate. During that time, you may open a web site and start coaching people over the email for free or for a very small fee, to gain some first hand experience.

Once you'll have a few months worth of expenses saved, certificate made, and a small base of loyal clients established you can quit your boring job and start building something you truly love.

A highly recommend Herminia Ibarra's book below, even if you decide to shun all the rest.

Good luck!  :heart: :thumbup: 

Sites:

http://www.anxietyculture.com

http://www.whywork.org

http://www.girlatplay.com

Books:

Working Identity: Unconventional Strategies for Reinventing Your Career by Herminia Ibarra

Live the Life You Love: In Ten Easy Step-By Step Lessons by Barbara Sher

Your Money or Your Life: Transforming Your Relationship With Money and Achieving Financial Independence by Joe Dominguez, Vicki Robin

--------------------

"Who are you who live in all these many forms? You're death that captures all. You too are the source of all that's gonna be born. You're glory, mercy, peace, truth. You give calm a spirit, understanding, courage, the contented heart."

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
Re: Right Livelihood [Re: redtailedhawk]
    #4465923 - 07/28/05 09:11 PM (12 years, 23 days ago)

Great post, Great advice! :thumbup: :heart:

Edited by Icelander (07/28/05 09:11 PM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology