Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineAdamist
ℚṲℰϟ✞ЇѺℵ ℛ∃Åʟḯ†У
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bloomington, IN
Re: Congress to repeal presidential term limits to allow Bush to seek third term.. [Re: Smallworlds]
    #4461879 - 07/27/05 09:41 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

They'll attempt to get another Bush in there somehow, either Jeb or Barbera... :borfase: :hellfire:

--------------------
:heartpump: { { { ṧ◎ηḯ¢ αʟ¢ℌ℮мƴ } } } :heartpump:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleAdden
I'm a teapot
Loc: Flag
Re: Congress to repeal presidential term limits to allow Bush to seek third term.. [Re: Smallworlds]
    #4463925 - 07/28/05 09:40 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Kid: Hey, who left all this garbage on the steps of Congress?

Amendment: I'm not garbage.

(starts singing)

I'm an amendment-to-be, yes an amendment-to-be,
And I'm hoping that they'll ratify me.

There's a lot of flag-burners,
Who have got too much freedom,
I want to make it legal
For policemen to beat'em.

'Cause there's limits to our liberties,
At least I hope and pray that there are,
'Cause those liberal freaks go too far.

(spoken)
Kid: But why can't we just make a law against flag-burning?
Amendment: Because that law would be unconstitutional.
But if we changed the Constitution...
Kid: Then we could make all sorts of crazy laws!
Amendment: Now you're catching on!
Kid: What if people say you're not good enough to be in the
Constitution?

(sings)

Amendment: Then I'll crush all opposition to me,
And I'll make Ted Kennedy pay.
If he fights back, I'll say that he's gay.

(spoken)
Congressman: Good news, Amendment! They ratified ya!
You're in the US Constitution!
Amendment: Oh yeah!

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Congress to repeal presidential term limits to allow Bush to seek third term.. [Re: Adden]
    #4464088 - 07/28/05 10:20 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Everyone continues to overlook the fact that this is a Democrat-sponsored bill.

OfflineAdamist
ℚṲℰϟ✞ЇѺℵ ℛ∃Åʟḯ†У
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bloomington, IN
Re: Congress to repeal presidential term limits to allow Bush to seek third term.. [Re: Adden]
    #4464107 - 07/28/05 10:27 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Dude that quote in your sig is awesome.  :rofl:

--------------------
:heartpump: { { { ṧ◎ηḯ¢ αʟ¢ℌ℮мƴ } } } :heartpump:

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Congress to repeal presidential term limits to allow Bush to seek third term.. [Re: Redstorm]
    #4464458 - 07/28/05 12:23 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

> Everyone continues to overlook the fact that this is a Democrat-sponsored bill.

It is an idiot sponsored bill... if anything, they should be trying to put term limits on members of congress, not taking away term limits from the office of president.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineSycronica
Seeker
Loc: Inside my head
Re: Congress to repeal presidential term limits to allow Bush to seek third term.. [Re: Seuss]
    #4464476 - 07/28/05 12:27 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Either one of 2 things will happen imo.

1) There will be another terror attack on our soil and the media will say, "we can't be without our wartime president to fight the terror." So another attack will unite the majority behind bush again for another term. (seeming more far fetched now than a year ago, but still possible)

2) They will put a certain female democrat in office, then enact the draft so the country gets pissed at democrats to ensure a repub pres in 08. (shwatsinigger maybe? who knows)

--------------------
Think for yourself. Question authority.

Forgiveness is the ultimate sacrifice.

You can fool some people sometimes, but you can't fool all the people all the time.

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Congress to repeal presidential term limits to allow Bush to seek third term.. [Re: Sycronica]
    #4464565 - 07/28/05 12:57 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

"Put" a Female Democrat in office? You know people vote for that type of thing, correct?

Offlineleery11
I Tell You What!

Re: Congress to repeal presidential term limits to allow Bush to seek third term.. [Re: StrandedVoyager]
    #4465073 - 07/28/05 03:14 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

PhatWhitey420 said:
So you're telling me that with the paranoid left and all the watch groups that a monumental change of this size would go by unnoticed and unchallenged? No one would suddenly wonder why Bush is running for a third term? Everyone would merrily wander along despite all the hatred towards Bush in this country? Suddenly it's all kosher?

What nursery rhyme book is that from?

it would all work perfectly if the left didn't exist anymore. Think about that. Man blows up *insert thing here* .... SHOCKING HORRIFYING NEWS... this man... wasn't arab... and he wasn't foreign... he was a WHITE PERSON.... and.... a LIBERAL.

The rallying cry for the elimination of civil rights will be heard, and the victims of the "war on terror" would no longer be arabs. Gradual things would happen, most Americans wouldn't notice or wouldn't care.... if swept into place with the right level of fear (i.e. nuclear attack) people would probably turn their own children in if the govenrment convinced them that they were the spawns of Satan.

Don't underestimate the power of the media to totally reinforce the otherwise absurd in times of severe crisis. If Germany did it, any society can do it.... and America can do it, our residents aren't bright or politically savvy.

The more free a nation thinks it is via indoctrination, the more likely it is to never listen to people that say "we are losing our rights." The mantra WE ARE FREE, WE ARE PROUD, WE ARE THE BEST NATION ON EARTH will deafen evidence to the contrary, as it has been securely drilled in the head of every child that has ever attented public schools.

Keep in mind if people knew the truth about how harmless marijuana is, they would RIOT and murder and assassinate to get innocent people out of jail and free MILLIONS from persecution... but our mini-concentration camps (a.k.a. prisons) are in place, and 15 million or so Americans are targets for persecution, but the public consensus is that it is not only okay to jail peaceful citizens for unjust reasons, but that WE HAVE TO FOR FEAR OF THE SAFETY OF OUR FAMILIES AND CHILDREN.

think about it, if the war on drugs can be swayed into place... something that i'd think any educated and well reasoned person would find ominously horrific... totally naziesque.... and the complete polar opposite of everything that a free nation stands for..... then the government can do anything.

They are winning. Whether they will try to go totally gestapo is hard to say, because sadly the politicians are just as indoctrinated as the people that they represent..... there may be no large conspiracy, no illumanati setting it all up....it may just be us predicting the predictability of mass paranoia and how it affects powerful countries.

i'm almost convinced that though they are not a sovereign hidden society... the religious right is much in the same way acting as the demonized hypothetical illumanti is seen.... since they seem to be the glue that makes anything Bush does tolerable... they seem to be the voices of censorship and oppression, they favor all the things that destroy us, the patriot act, the war on drugs, censorship of free speech... destroying public radio, you name it.... but they think they are helping us stay "moral" and sadly, America is so immoral that they have a good argument, even if their cause is absurd and misguided.

and people like me sound like complete nutjobs and won't be listened to.

--------- bottom line.... the left has been numerous times called a threat to the very existence of civilized society, and this rhetoric has in some minor degrees been rallied by the medias and the politicians.

If the "left" real or imagined were some way "involved" with terrorism... there would be no more left.... either they would be eliminated, or persecuted, or just scared into silence. I'd imagine many would flee the country. Look at the way the news works, shoot first and ask questions later.... sure if they arrest the wrong guy the media says "OOPs... London arrested an innocent person...... now lets hear from a political expert why it is LEGAL and necessary for governments to be allowed to do just that."

no one remembers the innocent people that get lost in the system, but they always remember the Osama bin Ladens, the Jews... the Goldstein's.... in our case, the terrorists. The left is such an abstract term that it could conceivably be misused to weave a portrait synominous with "terror" in the unsuspecting public's eye.

"one life is a tragedy, a million is a statistic" to be argued over and dehumanized. We can then squabble and say "oh it's not 5000 innocent people that we accidentally arrested, it's maybe 200, and we're working on getting them out" the news is so in line with 1984 complete with story-retractions and modifcations that it's just ... funny.

it's like the news agencies set up a story, then the government doesn't like it and sends them the "correct version" it was media fact that they knew the London attack was coming moments before it struck, but if you listen to the news now, that is not even remotely focused upon or mentioned again.

Anyone watching CNN or whatever that day would have even heard it, but if you mention it to people now it's almost completely down the memory hole and you are ignored as loony.

it's fucked up.... does anyone follow me here?

--------------------
I am the MacDaddy of Heimlich County, I play it Straight Up Yo!

....I embrace my desire to feel the rhythm, to feel connected enough to step aside and weep like a widow, to feel inspired, to fathom the power, to witness the beauty, to bathe in the fountain, to swing on the spiral of our divinity and still be a human......
Om Namah Shivaya, I tell you What!

Edited by leery11 (07/28/05 03:20 PM)

OfflineSycronica
Seeker
Re: Congress to repeal presidential term limits to allow Bush to seek third term.. [Re: Redstorm]
    #4469067 - 07/29/05 01:04 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Redstorm said:
"Put" a Female Democrat in office? You know people vote for that type of thing, correct?

Is that like when gore won the popular vote but bush was put in office anyway?

--------------------

You can fool some people sometimes, but you can't fool all the people all the time.

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
Re: Congress to repeal presidential term limits to allow Bush to seek third term.. [Re: Sycronica]
    #4469185 - 07/29/05 01:27 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah... damn that pesky Electoral College mechanism anyway.

Phred

--------------------

OfflineSycronica
Seeker
Re: Congress to repeal presidential term limits to allow Bush to seek third term.. [Re: Phred]
    #4469243 - 07/29/05 01:40 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Phred said:
Yeah... damn that pesky Electoral College mechanism anyway.

Damn them indeed. It is one of the main things that need to be abolished.

--------------------

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #4469319 - 07/29/05 01:51 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

It works fine. We don't need a system of popular votes.

OfflineSycronica
Seeker
    #4469338 - 07/29/05 01:54 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Redstorm said:
It works fine. We don't need a system of popular votes.

Yeah, why should we let the people choose their own leaders? That would make it....democratic.

--------------------

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #4469420 - 07/29/05 02:06 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

We DO choose our own leaders.

OfflineSycronica
Seeker
    #4473321 - 07/30/05 11:09 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Long as you feel better for telling yourself that.

--------------------

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #4473403 - 07/30/05 11:37 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Way to dodge trying to prove anything with that snide comment.

We vote. The majority wins the electoral college vote, which then is put towards the candidates total electoral votes.

How is that not choosing your own leader?

OfflineSycronica
Seeker
    #4473413 - 07/30/05 11:40 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Because the electoral college does not *have* to vote the way their state voted. They choose their president, we just vote for show. (only referring to the pres elections)

Not to mention the fact that they choose who is on the ballads for us. And the canidate with the most commercials usually wins. So it's 99% dependant on how much money they have backing them. So he who controlls the money, controlls the commercials you see and thereby controlls what you think of the canidates they choose.

--------------------

Edited by Sycronica (07/30/05 11:44 AM)

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #4473443 - 07/30/05 12:02 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

While I agree with you on the rest of what you said, do you understand what would happen if an electoral vote was casted for the wrong candidate? Imagine the FL scandal, but 10x worse. The media would have a field-day with it.

I do agree with you about the money thing. It is absolutely absurd how wealthy one has to be to even have a remote chance of getting into any somewhat-important political office. It makes me sick to realize that if i wanted to run for senator, I'd have to have a few million dollars to even stand a chance.

OfflineSycronica
Seeker
    #4473581 - 07/30/05 01:10 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

While I agree with you on the rest of what you said, do you understand what would happen if an electoral vote was casted for the wrong candidate? Imagine the FL scandal, but 10x worse. The media would have a field-day with it.

If gore won the popular vote, but lost in the electoral college, doesn't that mean that some person in the electoral college voted against the will of his or her state?

--------------------

Offlinenightkrawler
explorer
Male

Loc: new england
    #4473582 - 07/30/05 01:10 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

absolutely not...

impossible.

--------------------

Not all who wander are lost - J.R.R. Tolkien

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale