Home | Community | Message Board

SoulSpeciosa Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery Arcade Champion: BMX Tricks
Consumerism conditioning #2: chapstick
    #4463189 - 07/28/05 04:20 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I fucking hate chapstick. its use begets use, in other words it has an addictive quality, but biologically.
I see people who use chapstick all the time, and they constantly need it, winter or summer time, no matter what. It is like drinking coffee, if you do it for long enough, and then stop, you will have physiological adverse side-effects.
You are conditioning your body (lips) to recognize that you dont need any protective oils on your lips, and should jsut go spend its efforts elswhere.
If you start using chapstick, you will forever use chapstick, until we find some national problem and create "chapstick anonymous" for those of you who have trouble shaking the addiction of chapstick.... thanks for using up my future tax dollars...

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineTheCow
Stranger

Re: Consumerism conditioning #2: chapstick [Re: SneezingPenis]
    #4463302 - 07/28/05 04:57 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Bullshit.  My lips have always been extremely dry.  I used to never use chapstick, up until I was about 15.  I started using blistex every day and my lips have improved.  :whatever:

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
    #4463586 - 07/28/05 08:08 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Actually, that's a myth too. I was reading about it, its addictive qualities are entirely psychological, stopping its use wont dry out your lips or anything, itll just feel like it does if you're used to it.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
    #4463589 - 07/28/05 08:14 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

PS. There's already "chapstick anonymous", and those groups are private, not government funded.

Methinks its a lucky man who has the luxury to complain about laundry and lip balm.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
    #4463907 - 07/28/05 11:36 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

How about people who are addicted to chapstick...that is hilarious. Anyone ever see the first part of the movie "Napoleon Dynamite" where the main character tries to get his brother to come get him at school because he forgot his chapstick? In all seriousness, though, I was on a military operation while in the Army and we were on the Big Island of Hawaii (Hawaii) in the lava fields where it was very windy. Thay gave us chapstick and told us to use it...I didn't for a few days and my lips got chapped and cracked and bled. I started using it but I was too late. My lips eventually dried up and peeled off. It hurt like a bitch. I looked really fucked up for about 2 months after that.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

OfflineBlueCoyote
Beyond
Male User Gallery

Loc: Between
    #4464247 - 07/28/05 01:13 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Put this for nose-spray, and it is true :wink:

--------------------
Though lovers be lost love shall not  And death shall have no dominion
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men."Martin Luther King, Jr.
'Acceptance is the absolute key - at that moment you gain freedom and you gain power and you gain courage'

OfflineVulture
Pursuer ofWisdom
 User Gallery

Loc: SC
Re: Consumerism conditioning #2: chapstick [Re: BlueCoyote]
    #4464433 - 07/28/05 02:18 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

my ex was like napolean dynamite when it came to her chapstick.

huge nerd lol. but when she was in high school and she forgot it she would have to call and somehow get it or she would leave and go home.

i think she has overcome the addiciton tho.

--------------------
Work like you dont need the money.

Love like you never been hurt.

Dance like nobody is watching.

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#4464471 - 07/28/05 02:26 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

"Put this for nose-spray, and it is true"

Fuck that shit. I was addicted to fucking nosespray for 3 years. That shit is worse than heroin. Things are bad when you would strangle your mother for a bottle of nosespray. That has got to be the funniest and most pathetic thing I have done.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

Edited by Huehuecoyotl (07/28/05 02:32 PM)

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
Re: Consumerism conditioning #2: chapstick [Re: Phluck]
    #4464608 - 07/28/05 03:10 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Phluck said:
Actually, that's a myth too. I was reading about it, its addictive qualities are entirely psychological, stopping its use wont dry out your lips or anything, itll just feel like it does if you're used to it.

It is still a physical and mental crutch. I think chapstick should be considered a scheduled drug. I make all my girlfriends remove lipstick and chapstick before i will even kiss them. Something about oils that I have a great aversion to.
Our bodies are highly adaptable to climate. Sure for the first few months of being in Hawaii some peoples lips will crack, but your body will grow accustomed to the climate. Im sure not every single native hawaian goes around slopping on chapstick every 6 hours.
In applying chapstick, you have created false conditions so that your body never has to adapt. Just like children who were highly coddled in a highly disinfected home have way more allergies and a very weak immune system.
I grew up on the mississippi gulf coast, and spent all day outside getting scrapes, ingesting unwashed and dirty various things. I have a remarkable digestive system and immune system. I can count on one hand the times I have been sick, as well as having not one allergy and have won some money on a few occasions rubbing poison ivy on myself (which i have no adverse reactions to, and yes, i constantly hear the bullshit that comes with the Poison Ivy myth).
Just remember, what doesnt kill you only makes you stronger, and coddling your body and mind will leave it much more susceptible.

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#4464675 - 07/28/05 03:26 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

"Sure for the first few months of being in Hawaii some peoples lips will crack, but your body will grow accustomed to the climate. Im sure not every single native hawaian goes around slopping on chapstick every 6 hours."

This was not normal Hawaii. No Hawaiians live there. It is quite uninhabited. 35 degrees at night....95 degrees durng the day...constant wind. Without some protection you would go lipless as I did. We were on the lower slopes of Mauna Loa. Look at the image...this ain't palm trees and sand. This was our training area.

--------------------

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
Re: Consumerism conditioning #2: chapstick [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #4464729 - 07/28/05 03:44 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

so are you saying that your body, no matter what, wouldnt have been able to adapt?

OfflineBlueCoyote
Beyond
Male User Gallery

#4464877 - 07/28/05 04:15 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Huehuecoyotl said:
"Put this for nose-spray, and it is true"

Fuck that shit. I was addicted to fucking nosespray for 3 years. That shit is worse than heroin. Things are bad when you would strangle your mother for a bottle of nosespray. That has got to be the funniest and most pathetic thing I have done.

A friend of mine (yes, this time, really :wink:) had some wild addiction to that stuff and told me his problems, and how hard it was for him, to get off it. It seems there also come some kind of psychologic aspects to play. Even, the strongening symptoms, if he leaves the spray away, were dominant, but perhaps much psychosomatics, too ?
Perhaps theres some relation to chapstick ?
Most of, because, I think, if you defeat the symptoms, or force your body to 'be' somehow (oily lips, unswollen nose), and then if you leave the treat, your body can not re-act fast enough, because he got 'used to' the 'forced condition'. hat results in dry lips, swollen nose. That could also leave place for psychologic interpretations.

--------------------
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men."Martin Luther King, Jr.
'Acceptance is the absolute key - at that moment you gain freedom and you gain power and you gain courage'

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#4464928 - 07/28/05 04:25 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I could have suffered through it(which I did)...but my point was chapstik isn't a total scam...it can help. I have to say, though, that I haven't used chapstik since then.

--------------------

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#4464938 - 07/28/05 04:29 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Chapstik addiction may be psychological, but nose spray has a physical component. It shrinks mucous membranes and produces less snot. After your addicted your natural antihistamines quit working so to have an unblocked breathing passage you need nosespray. It only takes 24 hours to break the addiction, but it is 24 hours of hell. Getting off booze was almost easier.

--------------------

OfflineBlueCoyote
Beyond
Male User Gallery

#4464963 - 07/28/05 04:35 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Yes, but what if chapstick-addiction is somehow similar in a physical way, as I described it, and you know it, like nosespray ?
To stay in your words, perhaps after addicted, your natural lip-oil-producers quit working, so to have a smoothy nonsplissing lips, you need chapsick ?
:wink:

--------------------

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#4464979 - 07/28/05 04:46 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Weird but not impossible.

--------------------

OfflineBlueCoyote
Beyond
Male User Gallery

#4465229 - 07/28/05 06:00 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Hey psilocyb, I will be your advocat on this consumers conditioning series :smile:

--------------------

OfflineTheCow
Stranger

#4465255 - 07/28/05 06:08 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Edit: Eh.

Edited by TheCow (07/28/05 06:09 PM)

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
Re: Consumerism conditioning #2: chapstick [Re: TheCow]
    #4465284 - 07/28/05 06:20 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

my first advocate...

next we tackle why dog food is shaped like bones, chicken and fish...

OfflineBlueCoyote
Beyond
Male User Gallery

#4465325 - 07/28/05 06:34 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

:thumbup:

(hmm..or what about conditioning on ever bigger and more expesive cars to express their material superiority about others ? Same with watches :wink: But mostly, those conditioning relate somwhere with the corruptiveness of our politicans. So you better take the lead, I will fill the blanks :smile:)

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology