Home | Community | Message Board

Azarius
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinepharmacyte
Stranger

Loc: solus ipsus
*** initializing colonization tips please? ***
    #4462814 - 07/28/05 02:56 AM (12 years, 25 days ago)

hello there, computer user.  thanks for perusing my post.  im glad youre here because i have a concern.  dig in!>>>

day 9 of incubation: half of jars are showing nice colonization, half show nada, zip, etc.  jars were prepared using pf tek w/ 50/50 rye flour/barley powder, .5 pint jars still sealed w/ tape on holes.  thermometer shows temp. spiking @ 92F, which couldnt have been for long; median temp @ 86F.  kept in darkened area with heating pad on very low setting only during nights below 80F.

are half of my cakes not showing any growth because of potential drying?  lack of gas exchange?  should i open the lids a bit on the stragglers?  should i on the ones showing growth?  perhaps barley/rye is difficult to colonize?  a couple of jars are about halfway there, tho... i was very conscious of spore distribution when inoculating and the syringe was freshly purchased... advice, por favor?

>>>well i hope that you remembered to blink whilst reading my no doubt fascinating post.  i certainly shouldnt be going around hurting people's eyes with my devastating entertainment. :whatever:

thanks for any & all help.

<<pharmy>>

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflinemyCo_psyCo
a mycologist inthe making
Male User Gallery

Loc: own private hell
Re: *** initializing colonization tips please? *** [Re: pharmacyte]
    #4463336 - 07/28/05 05:10 AM (12 years, 25 days ago)

well if you have a verm layer on the top take the tape off other that the only thing i can see rong i the 92 temp keep it in the 80's

--------------------

InvisibleFreedomFight
Strange

Re: *** initializing colonization tips please? *** [Re: myCo_psyCo]
    #4463753 - 07/28/05 10:41 AM (12 years, 25 days ago)

Try to keep your mean temp a little lower than 86. The growth of the myco will produce the extra heat needed ot bring the cakes to the optimal temp. Spiking above 90 for a few minutes is not going to kill your cakes but it will slow growth.

As for your problem I would say to remember to shake your syringe before you inject. I remember that all my initial problems (slow colonization and no colonization on the bottom inch of cake) were due to unregulated high temps and contams. Hope this helps a little.

How many CCs did you use per jar?

--------------------
I do not grow anything illegal.
I do not sell anything.
I am, however, a very curious individual.
I also try to be helpful.

Offlinepharmacyte
Stranger

Loc: solus ipsus
Re: *** initializing colonization tips please? *** [Re: FreedomFight]
    #4471896 - 07/30/05 12:49 AM (12 years, 23 days ago)

i used about 11cc for 10 jars. (!) i shook the syringe frequently, but perhaps i still unevenly distributed the spores. thats the only conclusion i can reach, which sucks cuz there's nothing i can do to fix that.

what if i inoculated the 5 remaining jars with a different strain? is there anything that would make inoculating jars that have already been in incubation for 2 weeks unwise?

also, if they start showing growth, should i let the colonized jars sit invitro, waiting for the others to catch up & complete growth? is there a maximum # of days jars should be left unbirthed?

thanks,

<<pharmypants>>

OfflinePhoenix99
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: *** initializing colonization tips please? *** [Re: FreedomFight]
    #4476469 - 07/31/05 07:02 AM (12 years, 22 days ago)

Quote:

FreedomFight said:
no colonization on the bottom inch of cake

How's that? I'm on my first try and the only part of the jar colonizing is its bottom.
I inoculated them with 0.5cc each, except one where it sucked 2.5cc in and am keeping them at 32*C (55*F). A week went by and onlt the bottom colonized. Today I shook them reaslly well and the water in them was white. I guess thet's good. I'm gonna leave for ten days now and I haoe I'll let them fruit when I come back.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation