Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Autoclave, Brown Rice Flour, Rye Grain, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
need help with SPAWN
    #446099 - 11/03/01 10:51 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

ive had some success so far using half pint brf cakes so far, both for fruiing and for apawn, but im tired of fucking with all the llittle jars. i want to move on to either RYE GRAIN or BIRD SEED in quart jars. im wondering what the differences are between the two. if there are any advantages, and most importanlty, how to achieve proper moisure levels, i tried rye grain in sterilized bags usuing polyfill for a filter, but it showed no signs of growth. someone please help me out. id especially like to hear some imput form people who have used both subrates. thanks you. -me

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Loc: Beyond the sun
Re: need help with SPAWN [Re: ProfNutbutter]
    #446417 - 11/04/01 09:39 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Prof, my camel has only worked with bird seed and never with rye grain, but here is my two cents, gotten from absorbing my camel's experience and from lurking on these boards.

Rye is harder to work with than bird seed, in the sense that it does contaminate more easily. Bird seed, you don't prepare it or anything, you just PC it and you have no probs with it.

Nutritionwise, I understand they are approximately equal - put it this way, the birdseed won't disappoint either you or your mushrooms. It is a good substrate to grow on, colonizes quickly and the mushrooms love it. You can buy huge bags of it in any discount or pet store. So as far as my camel is concerned, unless he wants to vary just for the sake of varying, there is nothing to recommend against using birdseed.

---- Cantara

[green]Shroomism, please don't delete this thread![/green]

Loc: Germany
Re: need help with SPAWN [Re: ProfNutbutter]
    #446457 - 11/04/01 10:51 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Hi Prof,

I use rye, and it only has a bad reputation. It is cheap, probably cheaper than bird seed (I pay about 2 USD for 1 kg for organically grown rye!), and you don't have to prepare it much differently than bird seed. You only have to put it into water (ratio 1:1.2, water:rye) for 2 or 3 hours and autoclave it.

If you used rye once and there was no sign of growth, it is most probably because it was still too warm when you inoculated it. Especailly when you autoclave big amounts, you have to wait until the temperature in the rye is at 121 C (this can take a while), and also before inoculation that it cools down to room temp (may take many hours). Of course this is also valid for any kind of seed.

In your place I would just try both out, and decide by yourself which fits you better, because there will always be people who say the one is better than the other one and so on...

"For all the time spent in that room
The doll's house, darkness, old perfume
And fairy stories held me high on
Clouds of sunlight floating by.", Pink Floyd '67

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Autoclave, Brown Rice Flour, Rye Grain, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology