Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblemagicbastard
I'm a teapot

blewitts
    #4460737 - 07/27/05 04:10 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

when ever I find mushrooms that I think are bluwitts(sp?) all of the field id checks out but I can never get any of them to drop any spores. are there any poisnes look alikes? and ever find any growing on pig shit and hay?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisible@cro
new name
 User Gallery

Loc: The PNW
Re: blewitts [Re: magicbastard]
    #4460926 - 07/27/05 05:09 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

You're never going to find a blewitt in July on dung.
They are a winter mushroom, for the most part, and are mycorrhizal. They grow in the forest.

--------------------

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: blewitts [Re: magicbastard]
    #4460929 - 07/27/05 05:09 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

The primary lookalikes for blewits are Cortinarius species, which will produce rusty brown spore prints. Although I am unaware of any poisonings from those similar Cortinarius species they should not be eaten.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Invisiblemagicbastard
I'm a teapot

Re: blewitts [Re: @cro]
    #4464866 - 07/28/05 02:14 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

@cro said:
You're never going to find a blewitt in July on dung.
They are a winter mushroom, for the most part, and are mycorrhizal. They grow in the forest.

yeah I know, its just that year ago I found purple mushrooms resembleing blewitts but the cap thind out to the edges instead of being rounded off. Now that I think about it they grew in hay next to a pig pen that reaked of pig shit.

InvisibleBi0TeK
elephant man

Loc: Yorkshire Moors, Great Br...
    #4465075 - 07/28/05 03:15 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

@cro said:
and are mycorrhizal. They grow in the forest.

They aren't mycorrhizal, you can grow them on leaf litter and grass clippings in your garden.

--------------------

--------------------
PROMOTE BACTERIA. THEY'RE THE ONLY CULTURE SOME PEOPLE HAVE.

Invisible@cro
new name
 User Gallery

Loc: The PNW
Re: blewitts [Re: Bi0TeK]
    #4465296 - 07/28/05 04:25 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

They can be mycorrhizal. If you find a patch under a tree it is common to find them fruiting there year after year. Many mushrooms can be both mycorrhizal and/or saprobic.

http://bcmushrooms.forrex.org/ntfp/pages/clitocnuda/clitocnuda_syn.html
This mushroom fruits on the ground from August to January depending on the year and is usually more abundant in cooler weather. It can be either saprophytic or mycorrhizal. This mushroom has previously been thought have a saprophytic habit, but is now known to form ectomycorrhizae with trees and is common in many different habitats. Blewits are found in troops or scattered in coniferous and deciduous forests as well as in grasses, meadows, gardens, sawdust, and compost piles. This mushroom probably exists throughout the B.C., but has commonly been collected in the south coast, south interior and Vancouver Island.

--------------------

InvisibleBi0TeK
elephant man

Loc: Yorkshire Moors, Great Br...
    #4465458 - 07/28/05 05:05 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

@cro said:
They can be mycorrhizal.  If you find a patch under a tree it is common to find them fruiting there year after year.

Lepista nuda or Clitocybe nuda (whatever you want to call it  :crazy:) grows in leaf litter under every tree in the woods here in the UK, they're common as muck!

A local mycologist friend of mine cloned some from our local woods and now has a nice patch every year in his garden.

Saprophytic or mycorrhizal? Who cares, I'm not keen on them anyway!  :grin:

--------------------

--------------------
PROMOTE BACTERIA. THEY'RE THE ONLY CULTURE SOME PEOPLE HAVE.

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Trusted Identifier
    #4466103 - 07/28/05 07:51 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

they can be found in a wide range of habitat, as long as there is ample decaying plant matter. i find them in wood-chip mulch, conifer needle litter, leaf-mould, garden compost, lawn clippings, etc. they readily exploit a vast array of lignin rich substrates.

magicbastard: have you been trying to print them on white paper5?

try printing them on something dark.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract