Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery Arcade Champion: BMX Tricks
Consumerism conditioning #1
    #4460079 - 07/27/05 02:50 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Hey, its laundry day....and what does that mean? oh, you have worn everything you have ONCE already....so, everything MUST be dirty.

Now, I am no hippy, but washing your clothes after ever use is kind of ridiculous. My clothes dont stink after one use, unless i have been sweating all day. Underwear, i can understand, because no matter how cold it is in a room, have balls will sweat.
Tide, Downy, Snuggles, and the copious amounts of other detergents, dryer sheets, and bleach manufacturers, have through advertising, convinced and conditioned the majority of America to believe that 1 usage of clothing = dirty.
Now, if you make a stain on your clothing, most people wish to remove it by washing, that is understandable....
Many times, I will wear the same clothes back to back days, even though I take a shower in between, yet people still make that snarling face and ask "werent you wearing that yesterday?"
There is nothing un-hygenic (word?) about wearing your clothes two days in a row.
Now eventually, your bodily oils will eventually deem the shirt or pants "dirty" or "stinky", which then washing is needed, but not this once usage shit.
Laundry cycles put a lot of wear and tear on your clothing, not to mention fading and whatnot. This cycle creates more consumerism through "i need new clothes, mine are all faded, but im not going to throw them out, it will just be my work shirt".... so now, you go buy more clothes, but throw none out, and eventually laundry day gets bigger and bigger, you need more bleach and detergent just to damage those clothes, so you wont throw them away and buy new ones.

more to come....

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Re: Consumerism conditioning #1 [Re: SneezingPenis]
    #4460119 - 07/27/05 03:06 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I don't buy this, I think people probably created this social norm on their own. Why? Because I've never seen any laundry advertising that said anything about how often you're supposed to clean your clothes.

I think you're quite right, in most cases it's fine to wear something more than once before cleaning it, but I don't see any evidence that the reason people think otherwise is due to advertising.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

Invisiblemoog
Stranger

#4460128 - 07/27/05 03:10 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

this is true.  :thumbup:

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery Arcade Champion: BMX Tricks
Re: Consumerism conditioning #1 [Re: moog]
    #4460400 - 07/27/05 04:27 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

you know, you are right about the advertising, in a way. I dont think any company would come right out and say "you need to wash your clothes every usage, buy Downy", but more like "keeping your clothes Downy fresh" with pictures of nice happy families hugging their freshly dried towels. Once that perfumed smell of "Freshness" is gone, we deem them dirty.
Perfume used to be exclusivly just bottles of smell-nice. Now the perfume companies have foudn there is a much bigger market making toilet paper scents, manufacturing smells to give an implied, but false sense of freshness, cleanliness, or newness.
It is as if we have grown to dislike our natural scents, and when a shirt smells like "you" and no longer has that field of flowers summertime fresh douche smell.

But , lets as well, discuss why we as a society would bring about this conditioning upon ourselves if my conspiracy theory is in fact just a product of me being high...

but now I want to ask....why did this conditioning come about? or why did we create this?

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
    #4460536 - 07/27/05 05:01 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I don't think all social norms have really clear cut reasons behind them, it's simply based on perceptions. The fact that someone advises people to wash their underwear daily could be enough to create this idea.

"Well, I'm supposed to change these daily, must be the same with my pants..."

Or a few neurotic people who had this opinion that passed it onto others.

I'm not sure that people use scents more often now than say, 100 years ago, we certainly use different ones, but I don't think that having scented items is something all that new.

I'm not entirely sure that it's all that bad either. Trying not to smell too much like "yourself" may seem a little abnormal, but I don't see it as a big problem.

I think perfumes have improved quite a bit over the years... the perfumes that old ladies wear are the ones that they wore back when they were young, and they tend to smell like baby powder. As long as perfume's smell is subtle, I think it can be really nice.

It's certainly a lot different from the way we lived before civilization, and there are some people who seem to feel that anything frivolous or that serves no purpose other than aesthetic is somehow immoral, but I disagree.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

InvisibleVeritas
 User Gallery
    #4460615 - 07/27/05 05:27 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

why did this conditioning come about? or why did we create this?

My best guess is that this dislike of our natural smell, and the idea that our bodies are dirty whether we sweat or not, goes along with the general rejection of the body.

Civilized humans (especially females) generally believe that their bodies are animalistic and need to be hidden, shaved, deodorized, surgically perfected, bleached, tanned, powdered, lifted, separated, girdled, etc...etc...

Offlinemantra
the universe
Loc: No 3rd Dimension Location
Re: Consumerism conditioning #1 [Re: Veritas]
    #4461016 - 07/27/05 07:32 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Veritas said:
Quote:

why did this conditioning come about? or why did we create this?

My best guess is that this dislike of our natural smell, and the idea that our bodies are dirty whether we sweat or not, goes along with the general rejection of the body.

Civilized humans (especially females) generally believe that their bodies are animalistic and need to be hidden, shaved, deodorized, surgically perfected, bleached, tanned, powdered, lifted, separated, girdled, etc...etc...

your words are eloquent

--------------------
The creative principle unifies the inner and external worlds. It does not depend on time or space, is ever still and yet in motion; thereby it creates all things, and is therefore called 'the creative and the absolute'; its ebb and its flow extend to infinity. -Tao Te Ching

OfflineBlueCoyote
Beyond
Male User Gallery

Loc: Between
    #4461024 - 07/27/05 07:34 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Yes, I am with you on this. The more often you wash your clothes the better it is for the industry. Somewhere I did read, they also dispose some of their waste inside their washingpowder. It also speeds up destruction of nature with the waste and pollution of clean water. In poorer countries also the pollution of nature.
This all speeds up seperation of man from nature, which is all of the benefit of the industry and the corrupt politicians.
Ah, yes, and all the chemistry also speeds up the developement of allergies (for example) in humans, too. Very beneficial for the medic industry...another large corruption-post in politics.

--------------------
Though lovers be lost love shall not  And death shall have no dominion
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men."Martin Luther King, Jr.
'Acceptance is the absolute key - at that moment you gain freedom and you gain power and you gain courage'

Offlinefreddurgan
Techgnostic
Male

Re: Consumerism conditioning #1 [Re: Phluck]
    #4461035 - 07/27/05 07:36 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Phluck said:
I don't buy this, I think people probably created this social norm on their own. Why? Because I've never seen any laundry advertising that said anything about how often you're supposed to clean your clothes.

I think you're quite right, in most cases it's fine to wear something more than once before cleaning it, but I don't see any evidence that the reason people think otherwise is due to advertising.

I agree. You can wear things more than once, but the detergent industry really has no input here. I've never seen anything to convince me that they feel this way.

--------------------
Ishmael
http://www.ishmael.org

Ron Paul 2008!
http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

InvisibleArp
roving mycophagist
 User Gallery

Loc: in a van by the river
Re: Consumerism conditioning #1 [Re: freddurgan]
    #4461100 - 07/27/05 07:56 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Just because there is ball sweat in your underpants doesnt mean they are no good to use!

You get used to the smell and unless you are dating who cares?

Lol :smile:

OfflineMJF
Human Being
 User Gallery

Loc: Between 15 and 45 degrees...
Re: Consumerism conditioning #1 [Re: Arp]
    #4465152 - 07/28/05 05:40 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Arp said:
Just because there is ball sweat in your underpants doesnt mean they are no good to use!

You get used to the smell and unless you are dating who cares?

Lol :smile:

:argh:
thats nasty
:lol:

Edited by MJF (07/28/05 05:43 PM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology