Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineMagicalMystery
turn off yourmind

Loc: Here, there and everywher...
Starting in-depth, comprehensive Martial Arts program
    #4459241 - 07/27/05 07:50 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I have been interested in all forms of martial arts for my entire life. I've taken karate for three years but that was in my younger days. I'm going to be taking Kenpo (wooden stick fighting, used for sword fighting), Karate (Tai Kwon Do, with a more Japanese influence than, for e.g, Korean) and possibly the style of martial arts that Bruce Lee "founded". I'm getting back into yoga with my instructor to increase my flexibilty and I'm going back to the weight room 4 times a week. I'm really looking forward to this. I enjoy all aspects of martial arts, from the consciousness experience and self-awareness to the ability to shatter concrete blocks with my hands.

Do any of you take any martial art or have any recommendations?

--------------------

"Men trained in arms from their infancy, and animated by the love of liberty, will afford neither a cheap or easy conquest."
From the Declaration of the Continental Congress

"We can have peace and security only as long as we band together to preserve that most priceless possession, our inheritance of European blood."
Charles A. Lindbergh,"Aviation, Geography, and Race", Reader's Digest, Nov. 1939

"We must secure the existance of our people and a future for White children."
David Lane

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinebarfightlard
tales of theinexpressible
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canoodia
Re: Starting in-depth, comprehensive Martial Arts program [Re: MagicalMystery]
    #4459262 - 07/27/05 07:57 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Wow sounds lile your getting really serious with this. If you keep all of it your going to be in awesome shape and have great conditioning! I've always thought muih tai(don'y know the spelling) was a great type of martial art. Your doing the right thing taking yoga too because flexability is key with any martial art. Maybe start meditating too.

good luck with everything.

--------------------

"What business is it of yours what I do, read, buy, see, say, think, who I fuck, what I take into my body - as long as I do not harm another human being on this planet?" - Bill Hicks

Invisiblenewuser1492
    #4459369 - 07/27/05 08:37 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

What are your goals? If it's to learn some flashy style or learn kata's and shit then go for those tmas. However if you want to learn how to really fight go for jiu-jitsu and muay thai kickboxing.

OfflineLuke
thought

Loc: the Well
    #4459372 - 07/27/05 08:38 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I recently joined martial arts. Its a mixed style. But it will rise the dark energy out of you.

I do yoga on my own time. Once in awhile. Its pretty interesting.

Try both and do as much as you can  :thumbup:.

OfflineMagicalMystery
turn off yourmind

Loc: Here, there and everywher...
Re: Starting in-depth, comprehensive Martial Arts program [Re: newuser1492]
    #4459452 - 07/27/05 09:06 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

All aspect of martial arts / self defense appeal to me. The ability to defend myself, the kata are a form of meditation, I enjoy all of it.

--------------------

"Men trained in arms from their infancy, and animated by the love of liberty, will afford neither a cheap or easy conquest."
From the Declaration of the Continental Congress

"We can have peace and security only as long as we band together to preserve that most priceless possession, our inheritance of European blood."
Charles A. Lindbergh,"Aviation, Geography, and Race", Reader's Digest, Nov. 1939

"We must secure the existance of our people and a future for White children."
David Lane

Invisibleorechron
LIVEWRONG
 User Gallery

Loc: Fallout Zone
    #4459891 - 07/27/05 11:49 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

That sounds a bit too rigorous to me to be starting all at once. Granted I have no idea what your abilities are but I would be extremely wary of stress injuries with such a sink or swim approach. I would suggest that you abandon the weightlifting regimen for at least a few months until you have gained enough strength and balance from the ma's and yoga alone.

Enthusiasm is wonderful but injuries are a bitch.

--------------------
Live by the foma that make you brave, and kind, and healthy, and happy.

Invisiblebadchad
Mad Scientist

Re: Starting in-depth, comprehensive Martial Arts program [Re: newuser1492]
    #4460353 - 07/27/05 02:14 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

cb9fl said:
What are your goals? If it's to learn some flashy style or learn kata's and shit then go for those tmas. However if you want to learn how to really fight go for jiu-jitsu and muay thai kickboxing.

Agreed, Brazilian Jiu-jitsu has proven itself to be the more dominant style of fighting; (UFC's 1,2 and 3 anyone?). Seems to me that in the many street fights I've witnessed theres a bunch of tough guy talking, sometime takes a swing (usually missing) and then it's grappling from there on out. Add a little bit of muay thai for striking and you're set (Personally, I'd prefer boxing but thats my personal taste).

--------------------
...the whole experience is (and is as) a profound piece of knowledge.  It is an indellible experience; it is forever known.  I have known myself in a way I doubt I would have ever occurred except as it did.

Smith, P.  Bull. Menninger Clinic (1959) 23:20-27; p. 27.

...most subjects find the experience valuable, some find it frightening, and many say that is it uniquely lovely.

Osmond, H.  Annals, NY Acad Science (1957) 66:418-434; p.436

OfflineThe_Hobbit
Bilbo Baggins
 User Gallery

Loc: The Shire
Re: Starting in-depth, comprehensive Martial Arts program [Re: badchad]
    #4464233 - 07/28/05 11:08 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

--------------------
Smoking my hobbit leaf...
Please keep in mind that I am just a human being. Please read my posts carefully and interpret their meaning for yourself.

OfflineDF2K
Me.
Male User Gallery

Loc: The land before time
Re: Starting in-depth, comprehensive Martial Arts program [Re: The_Hobbit]
    #4464715 - 07/28/05 01:39 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

jeet kune do, is the martial arts bruce lee *invented*

Jump to top Pages: 1

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order