Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleGijith
Daisy Chain Eater

Loc: New York
Windows Vista
    #4439275 - 07/22/05 05:33 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/default.mspx

Kind of a lame name. I used to be critical of Microsoft. I almost switched to a Mac... But the more I looked at what Microsoft is doing with Windows, especially with their embedded and mobile versions, I resubmitted my allegience to the empire. I find the exploration simply too fascinating to miss out on.

I don't really know much about what this new incarnation will bring. I'm guessing it will be fairly similar to Tiger. What do you guys think?

--------------------
what's with neocons and the word 'ilk'?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleParanoidAndroid
Dude
 User Gallery

Re: Windows Vista [Re: Gijith]
    #4440597 - 07/22/05 10:44 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I think I have a new slogan for the PR guys at M.S.....

"Windows Vista - A new way to see blue"
As in BSOD.  Ha!
I'm sure Windows Vista will be even more "User Friendly"
(Translation: More shit ya don't need)
Obviously not a fan of Microsoft  :grin:

OfflineTheCow
Stranger

Re: Windows Vista [Re: ParanoidAndroid]
    #4440609 - 07/22/05 10:48 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Is that a 64 bit only OS? I was going to buy a laptop, but was wondering if I should wait to get a good 64 bit processor.

InvisibleKrishna
कृष्ण,LOL
 User Gallery

Loc: oakland
Re: Windows Vista [Re: TheCow]
    #4441790 - 07/23/05 05:26 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

i would assume it wouldn't be 64-bit only... that would be very dumb, as very few programs today actually use the 'power' of 64-bits...

as the Android said, "I'm sure Windows Vista will be even more "User Friendly" (Translation: More shit ya don't need)" :yesnod:

no thanks, i'll stick to Debian!

--------------------

Invisiblenewuser1492
Re: Windows Vista [Re: Krishna]
    #4442156 - 07/23/05 10:05 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

http://operalover.tntluoma.com/8/cnet_half_of_all_companies_still_using_windows_2000

Quote:

Windows XP use surged to 38 percent by the first quarter of this year, up from 6.6 percent in the third quarter of 2003. However, the popularity of Windows 2000 has remained high, with the venerable operating system still in use in 48 percent of business PCs during the first quarter of 2005, down just four percentage points from the third quarter of 2003.

I'm using MEPIS which is a derivative of Debian but most businesses I've seen are using XP Pro or 2000. I don't see how M$ is going to push their new version of Windows to existing customers. I mean what can XP Pro or even XP Pro 64 really not do for you? I don't think individuals let along businesses will be willing to pay the upgrade price for a product that is marginally if at all better than what they currently have. Especially when XP Pro is relatively stable.

Invisiblecortex
[ H ] ψ = [ E ] ψ
Male User Gallery

Loc: Gedankenexperiment
Re: Windows Vista [Re: newuser1492]
    #4448878 - 07/24/05 10:58 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Especially when XP Pro is relatively stable.

relative to... what?

:p

--------------------

Signature (up to 750 characters).

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #4449685 - 07/25/05 06:30 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

> I don't see how M$ is going to push their new version of Windows to existing customers.

The same way they did in the past... by releasing 'patches' that kill what little stability exists in the older products forcing users to upgrade...

> I'm guessing it will be fairly similar to Tiger.

The mantra at Micro$oft has been "make it work like a mac" for a long, long time.

> if I should wait to get a good 64 bit processor

Why do you need 64-bits? There are good reasons, but if you don't have one, then it is a waste of money. One reason to go with 64-bits is based on memory. If you are using more than 4GB of physical memory in your machine, then 64-bits is a good upgrade plan. Most people I know don't have 4GB (or more) in their desktop computers. Are you serving a large database with more than 2G of data in it? If so, then 64-bit is probably a good upgrade path. Are you running CFD (computational fluid dynamics) or any other large number intensive applications? If so, then 64-bits might help you out, depending upon how big the numbers are and what types of numbers they are. Most of the areas that 64-bits really help out in have already been back ported into the 32-bit chips using MMX (what a joke), SSE, SSE2, and 3dnow.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Offlineprefloppro
Last Call
    #4449962 - 07/25/05 10:00 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Krishna said:
i would assume it wouldn't be 64-bit only... that would be very dumb, as very few programs today actually use the 'power' of 64-bits...

as the Android said, "I'm sure Windows Vista will be even more "User Friendly" (Translation: More shit ya don't need)" :yesnod:

no thanks, i'll stick to Debian!

10 years ago people where saying why in the hell would anyone need more than 512 bytes of memory.  64 bit processors are the next step, soon everyone will have them, its just a matter of time.  One good note is the 64bit version of windows is backwards compatible, it will run most 32 bit programs with ease.

OfflineSeussA

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Windows Vista [Re: prefloppro]
    #4450287 - 07/25/05 11:41 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

> 10 years ago people where saying why in the hell would anyone need more than 512 bytes of memory.

Perhaps you mean 50 years ago... ten years ago I was upgrading my machine to 16Meg... even 20 years ago I had 64K in my machine, much more than 512 bytes.

I would certainly like to see a 32-bit chip use those extra transistors for optimizations rather than see a 64-bit chip run at the same speed. As I pointed out in my previous post, there are very few applications that benefit from a 64-bit cpu.

You are correct, this is the direction things are going to go... however, the reason they are going this direction is not because of need, but because of marketing gimmicks.

--------------------

InvisibleGijith
Daisy Chain Eater

Re: Windows Vista [Re: Seuss]
    #4459197 - 07/27/05 07:25 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Seuss, you're big on Apple, right?

Why won't they make a cell phone???

One of the big reasons I stick with Windows is that I love how I can have the same OS on my pc, phone, tv, and hopefully car in the next few years... As Microsoft continues to expand Windows into all sorts of electronics, it will become even more powerful and dominant.

I love to root for Steve Jobs, but I don't know why he holds back on stuff like this.

--------------------

Invisibleivi
 User Gallery

#4459242 - 07/27/05 07:51 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I'm wearing a Windows Vista baseball cap at the moment :lol:

--------------------

OfflineSeussA

Folding@home Statistics
    #4459403 - 07/27/05 08:50 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

> Seuss, you're big on Apple, right?

Not really... I am most at home using Sys-V Unix. I hated Apple until OS-X came out, but the company has really come a long ways since the days of my dislike. I would like to throttle a few of the design engineers at Apple... or at least force them to work in an Apple repair center for a few months before letting them go back to their design offices. Especially the people that designed the iBooks...

> As Microsoft continues to expand Windows into all sorts of electronics, it will become even more powerful and dominant.

> I'm wearing a Windows Vista baseball cap at the moment

One of the "best" gifts microsoft ever gave me was a coffie mug with "Windows NT" written on it in gold lettering... there is also a nice golden rim around the top of the mug. It looks really nice until you decide to heat up some water in the microwave... at which point it destroys the microwave. Typical microsoft.

Sad, but true.

--------------------

Offlinedrtyfrnk
PresidentialCandidate 2008
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Ontario, Canada
    #4459804 - 07/27/05 11:10 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Gijith said:and hopefully car in the next few years...

So your saying you want your car to BSOD every few minutes?  :tongue:

--------------------
It's Krang, Bitch!  :krang:

InvisibleParanoidAndroid
Dude
 User Gallery

#4459898 - 07/27/05 11:55 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Gijith said:
Seuss, you're big on Apple, right?

Why won't they make a cell phone???

One of the big reasons I stick with Windows is that I love how I can have the same OS on my pc, phone, tv, and hopefully car in the next few years... As Microsoft continues to expand Windows into all sorts of electronics, it will become even more powerful and dominant.

I love to root for Steve Jobs, but I don't know why he holds back on stuff like this.

Well Gijith, Windows isn't the only OS that you can have on all those devices... just look at the more stable (and free...in many ways) alternative....Linux.
Granted it takes some learning, (you could start off with Mandriva - which is targeted to new linux users) you will definitely see the irony in your statement "As Microsoft continues to expand Windows into all sorts of electronics, it will become even more powerful and dominant.
"

http://tuxmobil.org/phones_linux.html
http://www.mythtv.org/
And I know for sure that I have read a few times about linux being used in the on-board computers in cars.

InvisibleKrishna
कृष्ण,LOL
 User Gallery

#4459945 - 07/27/05 12:15 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

i certainly wouldn't trust any important system (ie any system that has peoples lives relying upon it) to M$...

*nix all the way!

--------------------

OfflineDF2K
Me.
Male User Gallery

Loc: The land before time
Re: Windows Vista [Re: drtyfrnk]
    #4459977 - 07/27/05 12:24 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

BSOD is only with win98 and the like, XP is built on NT, i have never gotten BSOD with an NT based kernel

OfflineProsgeopax
Jaded, yethopeful?

Loc: Appearing at a mall near ...
    #4460116 - 07/27/05 01:05 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Krishna said:
i certainly wouldn't trust any important system (ie any system that has peoples lives relying upon it) to M$...

*nix all the way!

I program mid-range computers for a living. The weakest parts of any information system (OS wise) I've ever encountered have always been Microsloth products. Quality usually takes a back seat to familiarity and up front costs for most organizations and most people. I bolded 'up front costs,' because MS products require much more babysitting and software add-on to keep them viable and half-way secure.

--------------------
Money doesn't grow on trees, but deficits do grow under Bushes.

You can accept, reject, or examine and test any new idea that comes to you. The wise man chooses the third way.
- Tom Willhite

Disclaimer: I reserve the right to change my opinions should I become aware of additional facts, the falsification of information or different perspectives. Articles written by others which I post may not necessarily reflect my opinions in part or in whole, my opinions may be in direct opposition, the topic may be one on which I have yet to formulate an opinion or have doubts about, an article may be posted solely with the intent to stimulate discussion or contemplation.

Offlinedrtyfrnk
PresidentialCandidate 2008
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: Windows Vista [Re: DF2K]
    #4460122 - 07/27/05 01:08 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

DF2K said:
BSOD is only with win98 and the like, XP is built on NT, i have never gotten BSOD with an NT based kernel

You haven't?

I have. a few times.

--------------------
It's Krang, Bitch!  :krang:

InvisibleGijith
Daisy Chain Eater

#4460896 - 07/27/05 04:59 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I've never had any stability issues with XP. I've never paid for any Microsoft product (aside from the price I absorbed with my phone).

Why is my statement ironic? Where's the irony in stating that power and dominance increase with expansion into new markets?

Ah, the Linux pusher. I would be very rich if I had a dime for every time someone took it upon themselves to 'introduce' poor me to Linux. I love technology, but, at the end of the day, it's a tool to help me through life. As far as operating systems go, Linux doesn't offer enough for dumb/casual users (me) to make up for the headaches it would give us. This isn't knocking it. I'm sure that for people who do technical things, it's vastly superior and very easy to use. But that's just not me... So far, I haven't encountered any real reason to switch from the user friendliness of Mac OS or Windows. Yes yes yes, very ignorant. I don't care. Why should I?

A Linux OS (I forget which one) is actualy used quite a bit at my job for a program that helps to model and predict glacial movement. I think that's awesome and I applaud the people at the lab for using an alternative to Microsoft. I'm no friend of the boys in Redmond. But until Linux can make my life easier, or Mac OS can expand out a little bit, I'll keep stealing Windows.

On a related note, I have a friend that just graduated culinary school. I saw him about 4 weeks ago. He glared at me with disgust as I spent 2 minutes microwaving a dinner of Boca burgers and instant rice. He went on lecture me on my terrible food. But the food tastes great to me, it doesn't interfere with my busy life, and I'll probably live a lot longer than my newly minted chef friend.

--------------------

InvisibleKrishna
कृष्ण,LOL
 User Gallery

#4463631 - 07/28/05 07:02 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

really, though, linux can be made to be very user-friendly. with a 'package manager' type system, or an apt-get type system like debian has, installing new utilities is as easy as searching for them and clicking 'install' - it'll do everything else for you. there are many installation walk-throughs that make installing the OS nearly as easy as installing windows, and if you're running Gnome or KDE or whatever, for the end-user it is the same. that being said, you will most probably have more problems when installing hardware - and if something goes wrong, it'll be more complex (for somebody who doesn't know *nix) to fix it. really, if you can get somebody to set up your system for you, then i don't see why everybody wouldn't switch to *nix - the benefits greatly outweigh the little bit of extra learning it'll take. but, ok, a lot of people don't care to learn, they just want to check their email/use msn-messenger/etc. to them i say "phooey", as well as "it would be just as easy to do that with a linux-box!"

:shrug: i guess i'm just a die-hard open source person...

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale