Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5  [ show all ]
InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
Re: What is the most morally disgusting profession? [Re: Krishna]
    #4459661 - 07/27/05 10:20 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Pay attention. You might learn a thing or two about why planned economies fail.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleKrishna
कृष्ण,LOL
 User Gallery

Loc: oakland
Re: What is the most morally disgusting profession? [Re: Silversoul]
    #4459665 - 07/27/05 10:22 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

hehehe i'm not supporting a planned economy - dammit! i'm for a 'market' economy in most senses, just a market economy without a monopoly of power/capital - a market economy between equally empowered parties, you might call it...

regardless, i'm looking forward to it for the time being...

--------------------

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Re: What is the most morally disgusting profession? [Re: Cowgold]
    #4459718 - 07/27/05 10:35 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I don't think being a consumer is necessarily evil. There's a lot of rhetoric spewed out these days about the evils of consuming, and how horrible everyone in corporations is.

But I think picking enemies is pretty evil too.

Deciding that corporations and consuming are simply bad is straight up dogmatic hate more than anything else.

It's like everyone on the planet needs to have an enemy that they can blame for what's wrong with things. Some people hate Bush, some hate terrorists, some hate consumers, some hate corporations, some hate blacks, some hate jews.

The presidents of the corporations definitely aren't the ones to blame. They only have control to the point that they get to decide what to do to make a profit. If they aren't liked, or they don't succeed, out they go. They may be at the top of the ladder, but they're just people. People who don't like to see suffering or destruction anymore than you do.

Ever see the documentary "The Corporation"? It's excellent, it's about the behaviour of corporations. There's one part where a group of protestors are on the front lawn of the CEO of Shell, hollering about murder and greed. He and his wife came out with tea and biscuits and actually sat down with them and talked about things. He was a nice old man who was bothered by poverty, and disturbed by the imbalance in the world, just like the protesters were, and just like them, he felt somewhat helpless, and confused as to how to deal with it.

It's very easy to get disturbed by the problems and suffering in the world, and our first instinct is to want to find out who's responsible, and bring them to justice. But what if the problems in the world aren't caused by anyone in particular? What if the slow and gradual ebb and flow of the world's economy has, over time, put some people in a position of wealth and power, while others suffer at the bottom? And while it may seem that those at the top have the ability to do something, what if in reality, they can't? What if any attempt to change things would almost instantly result in their being replaced because they aren't turning a profit?

There aren't all that many people out there who are seriously bad. There's a few, some of them are running small time scams, and there are people in big places who are slimy as well, but it doesn't mean they all are. Lots of people in high positions in corporations that are causing lots of problems are really nice people with the best possible intentions.

It's not like there's more unfairness now than there was at any time in the past. In fact, the idea of even caring about such unfairness is relatively new. Looking through history, it's pretty difficult to find any period of time when things were better than they are now.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

OfflineDigs
Stranger
Male

Loc: aca
Re: What is the most morally disgusting profession? [Re: goobler]
    #4459762 - 07/27/05 10:51 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

goobler said:
how do you like playing it?(poker online)

The variance is a bitch, but it's a lot of fun.  I've played 140 hours this month and I'm up $7k.  Today I'm down $350 in under an hour of play :smile:

Invisiblegoobler
Reanimated
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: What is the most morally disgusting profession? [Re: Digs]
    #4459765 - 07/27/05 10:53 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I don't think I'd have the patience

OfflineDigs
Stranger
Male

#4459769 - 07/27/05 10:54 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Ya, I just love playing the game, it's just another video game for me.

I'd be playing if there wasn't $ involved (although not nearly as much) :smile:

Invisiblegoobler
Reanimated
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #4459776 - 07/27/05 10:59 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

are there betting limits?

OfflineDigs
Stranger
Male

#4459783 - 07/27/05 11:03 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Yea, they have all diffrent types of games.

The site I play on has Hold-em, No Limit Holdem, Omaha, Omaha 8 or better, 7 card stud and stud 8 or better.

They have cash games and tournaments of all of them.

I play 5/10 limit holdem (first 2 rounds of betting are in $5 increments, last 2 are in $10 increments)

All the no limit games have max buyins. They range from $25 buyin to $2000.

Invisiblegoobler
Reanimated
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #4459792 - 07/27/05 11:05 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I may have to try it out

InvisibleCowgold
Bullshit

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: .
Re: What is the most morally disgusting profession? Lobbyists [Re: goobler]
    #4459819 - 07/27/05 11:17 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Lobbyists undermine our system of government, they take our vote away, The american voting booth isn't at a voting booth at all. It's at your local gas station, McDonalds, Grocery Store... You vote when you spend your money.

I find it somewhat interesting...

--------------------
"You might not be aware of this, but there are a lot of dickheads on the Internet." - D. Wong

OfflineAvatarofAtavism
Stranger

Loc: canada
Re: What is the most morally disgusting profession? Lobbyists [Re: Cowgold]
    #4461512 - 07/27/05 07:59 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

A parasite is a natural role, so too is the scammer. So long as you are happy in that role. Benthic Bravado..

--------------------
Do not despair, said the mystery. You will always have a friend in me. Untill the day you break my code. Then I will be gone, and you are free...
to manifest another.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals