Home | Community | Message Board

The Spore Depot
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineBobo
Tongue
 User Gallery

Loc: Next to Kitty (Yahweh)
I tore the fungus gnats a new bumhole
    #4458021 - 07/27/05 01:14 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

So, this was done in the interest of science and mycology.  Had some poo casings (4) 2 smaller, 2 medium size.  These things are at the end of their productive life, but I wanted to test a new treatment I picked up for fungus gnats, as they had picked my terrarium for their VIP party lounge and I wanted to 86 the lil' mofos. 
  I had one stickytape unraveling trap in the terrarium.  And after seeing a couple of gnats appear, they started getting stuck all over the trap and when misting the casings, I would see many of the adults squrim and hide from my misting water.
    So, I figured, what's an easy test for these little SOBs?  Spent (not totally, a couple of pins/fruits but it's pathetic--last gasp) casings with plenty of mycelium under the casing layer and lots of moist substrate for them to live in. 
    I found this "dust" of bacillus thuringiensis for vegetables.  It was not labeled for fungus gnats, and it was not the substrain of this species indicated for controlling fungus gnats.  It was really for chewing caterpillars, etc.  It's called "Dipel 150 Dust."  Five bucks for a pound.
    So I figured what the hell.
    Anyway, the values for treating soil are absurd (too low for me to apply to a casing) so I took a tea-straining teaspoon (one of those latch-and-strain teaspoons) and put it down in the container the bacillus dust and clipped it shut against the side of the conainer (while still inside) then brought it out and shook it over my casings.  There was a layer of this dust that sort of looked like a fine, white snow. 
    I applied this once, then a couple of days later again, then about a week later again.  I applied it 3 or 4 times, and, as the bacillus thuringiensis propagated and interfered with the life cycle of the fungus gnats, the adult population began to wane.  Over the course of around a month, I've gone from gnat-body-littered stickytape traps changed once a week or so, to, no visible adult gnats in the terrarium. 
  It appears this particular product, though it takes a few weeks, will effectively disrupt and wipe out the fungus gnat life cycles on casings. 

Just wanted to add this experience, as I HATE these little bastards.  :smile:  I would guess this bacterium would be even more effective if you purchase a substrain of it specifically engineered to combat fungus gnats. 

All right, hope this helps someone.  :sun:

--------------------
OneMoreRobot3021 said:
the pub mods are a cancer on our society as a whole.
pantsboy said:
Do kittens contain mescaline?  Because they should.

My GF & ME :heart:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineKalix
'Head

Re: I tore the fungus gnats a new bumhole [Re: Bobo]
    #4458194 - 07/27/05 01:56 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Did it wipe out the fungus also?? Did you get a flush after using the BT?

--------------------

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: The Shotgun of Sweet Reason

OfflineBobo
Tongue
 User Gallery

Loc: Next to Kitty (Yahweh)
Re: I tore the fungus gnats a new bumhole [Re: Kalix]
    #4458388 - 07/27/05 02:45 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I'm getting a last, lame flush (like # 4 or 5).  I wasn't using these casings for fruiting--I was using them as a thunderdome staging ground against the fungus gnats.  :wink: 

The next experiment will come when I try more casings and use it as a preventative measure.  I honestly can't see, though, why non-fruiting of a casing would somehow dissuade fungus gnats from propagating in this environment--that seems to be extraneous--this was a perfect little haven for them. 

Dunno, though.  This is my first go with this treatment.  :smile:

--------------------
OneMoreRobot3021 said:
the pub mods are a cancer on our society as a whole.
pantsboy said:
Do kittens contain mescaline?  Because they should.

My GF & ME :heart:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum