Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Science and Technology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Scales

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineTheCheat
son of the lamb

Loc: Maillardville, Coquitlam,...
Military to use Energy Weapons? Soon.
    #4456305 - 07/26/05 06:05 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050710/ap_on_sc/directed_energy_weapons_2

Description: ARLINGTON, Va. - For years, the U.S. military has explored a new kind of firepower that is instantaneous, precise and virtually inexhaustible: beams of electromagnetic energy. "Directed-energy" pulses can be throttled up or down depending on the situation, much like the phasers on "Star Trek" could be set to kill or merely stun.

Such weapons are now nearing fruition. But logistical issues have delayed their battlefield debut ? even as soldiers in
Iraq encounter tense urban situations in which the nonlethal capabilities of directed energy could be put to the test.

"It's a great technology with enormous potential, but I think the environment's not strong for it," said James Jay Carafano, a senior fellow at the conservative Heritage Foundation who blames the military and Congress for not spending enough on getting directed energy to the front. "The tragedy is that I think it's exactly the right time for this."

The hallmark of all directed-energy weapons is that the target ? whether a human or a mechanical object ? has no chance to avoid the shot because it moves at the speed of light. At some frequencies, it can penetrate walls.

Since the ammunition is merely light or radio waves, directed-energy weapons are limited only by the supply of electricity. And they don't involve chemicals or projectiles that can be inaccurate, accidentally cause injury or violate international treaties.

"When you're dealing with people whose full intent is to die, you can't give people a choice of whether to comply," said George Gibbs, a systems engineer for the Marine Expeditionary Rifle Squad Program who oversees directed-energy projects. "What I'm looking for is a way to shoot everybody, and they're all OK."

Almost as diverse as the electromagnetic spectrum itself, directed-energy weapons span a wide range of incarnations.

Among the simplest forms are inexpensive, handheld lasers that fill people's field of vision, inducing a temporary blindness to ensure they stop at a checkpoint, for example. Some of these already are used in Iraq.

Other radio-frequency weapons in development can sabotage the electronics of land mines, shoulder-fired missiles or automobiles ? a prospect that interests police departments in addition to the military.

A separate branch of directed-energy research involves bigger, badder beams: lasers that could obliterate targets tens of miles away from ships or planes. Such a strike would be so surgical that, as some designers put it at a recent conference here, the military could plausibly deny responsibility.

The flexibility of directed-energy weapons could be vital as wide-scale, force-on-force conflict becomes increasingly rare, many experts say. But the technology has been slowed by such practical concerns as how to shrink beam-firing antennas and power supplies.

Military officials also say more needs to be done to assure the international community that directed-energy weapons set to stun rather than kill will not harm noncombatants.

Such issues recently led the
Pentagon to delay its Project Sheriff, a plan to outfit vehicles in Iraq with a combination of lethal and nonlethal weaponry ? including a highly touted microwave-energy blaster that makes targets feel as if their skin is on fire. Sheriff has been pushed at least to 2006.

"It was best to step back and make sure we understand where we can go with it," said David Law, science and technology chief for the Joint Non-Lethal Weapons Directorate.

The directed-energy component in the project is the Active Denial System, developed by Air Force researchers and built by Raytheon Co. It produces a millimeter-wavelength burst of energy that penetrates 1/64 of an inch into a person's skin, agitating water molecules to produce heat. The sensation is certain to get people to halt whatever they are doing.

Military investigators say decades of research have shown that the effect ends the moment a person is out of the beam, and no lasting damage is done as long as the stream does not exceed a certain duration. How long? That answer is classified, but it apparently is in the realm of seconds, not minutes. The range of the beam also is secret, though it is said to be further than small arms fire, so an attacker could be repelled before he could pull a trigger.

--------------------
?Religion is science, politics is Hollywood, and 50 cent is more influential than Dali Lama; welcome to the future?
-Fontaine

"Blessed are the peacemakers." Matthew 5:9

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleEgo Death
Justadropofwaterinanendlesssea
 User Gallery

Loc: The War Machine
Re: Military to use Energy Weapons? Soon. [Re: TheCheat]
    #4464151 - 07/28/05 12:42 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

THATS SOME EXCELLENT STUFF :thumbup:

We should start working out the logistics for such a stun device!

Invisibledownforpot
Stranger
Male
Re: Military to use Energy Weapons? Soon. [Re: Ego Death]
    #4464677 - 07/28/05 03:26 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Aren't we already going to have those microwave things on humvies next year?

--------------------

http://www.myspace.com/4th25

"And I don't care if he was handcuffed
Then shot in his head
All I know is dead bodies
Can't fuck with me again"

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Military to use Energy Weapons? Soon. [Re: downforpot]
    #4465018 - 07/28/05 05:00 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

This has been over a handful of times in PAL and other forums. From my reading, these things will never work. They can not penetrate much further than the skin, and thats if a person is standing still letting the microwave hit them. Not only that, but the aiming is pinpoint, so it will not be very practical.

Invisibledownforpot
Stranger
Male
Re: Military to use Energy Weapons? Soon. [Re: Redstorm]
    #4466387 - 07/28/05 11:08 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

It doesn't have to be pinpoint. We can microwave a whole fucking block...

--------------------

Then shot in his head

OfflineRandolph_Carter
НơĻ?ĢΉō

Loc: Shroomery B-list.
    #4466781 - 07/29/05 12:35 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I've got an article from a year or three back that had a picture of a towed anti-artillery laser array, supposedly capable of detonating anything from an incoming artillery round to a just-launched or on-approach ICBM.
Stated that they would be deployed by 2008.

Betcha any real field deployment drives gas prices thru the roof....cuz these ideas are gonna take some ENERGY.

Makes me really curious as to what is being planned for use as a power source 20 years down the road.....especially if they manage to get that rail gun they've been showing on the Military Channel wedged into a tank....cuz they were talking fucking TERAWATTS per shot with that bitch.

--------------------
"..all those molecules thrashing their kinky little tails, hot for destiny and the street."  Gibson

Nuke baby seals for Jesus!

(This has been a +1 production.)

Invisibledownforpot
Stranger
Male
Re: Military to use Energy Weapons? Soon. [Re: Randolph_Carter]
    #4467594 - 07/29/05 03:38 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Don't worry, we're humans, we figure everything out. We figured out how to destroy a whole city with one bomb, we can figure out how to power a rail to turn people into french fries in a second.

--------------------

Then shot in his head

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
    #4472101 - 07/30/05 01:31 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I wish that somebody could make a lightsaber and secondly a laser gun. I would become a roaming jedi warrior.

InvisiblelIllIIIllIlIIlIlIIllIllIIl
Stranger
 Arcade Champion: Airfox

Loc: Texas
Re: Military to use Energy Weapons? Soon. [Re: downforpot]
    #4472506 - 07/30/05 02:56 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

downforpot said:
It doesn't have to be pinpoint. We can microwave a whole fucking block...

Now that's the spirit.

Invisibledownforpot
Stranger
Male
Re: Military to use Energy Weapons? Soon. [Re: lIllIIIllIlIIlIlIIllIllIIl]
    #4475621 - 07/31/05 01:35 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Damn right.

--------------------

Then shot in his head

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Scales

General Interest >> Science and Technology