Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinelonestar2004
Live to party,work to affordit.
 User Gallery

Loc: South Texas
Bush may bypass Senate and appoint Bolton to UN
    #4455386 - 07/26/05 12:14 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

By Adam Entous
Mon Jul 25, 6:41 PM ET

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The White House signaled on Monday that President Bush may bypass the Senate and appoint John Bolton, his embattled nominee for U.N. ambassador, to the post temporarily as hope faded for a Senate vote on the nomination.

Congressional aides said a recess appointment could be announced as early as Friday night, immediately after the Senate is scheduled to adjourn for the monthlong August break. A recess appointment would allow Bolton to take up the U.N. post but he would serve only until January 2007.

The nomination of the blunt-spoken conservative has been held up by accusations he tried to manipulate intelligence and intimidated intelligence analysts to support his hawkish views in his post as the top U.S. diplomat for arms control.

Some critics have also seized on reports he may have been involved in leaking the identity of a CIA operative, Valerie Plame, but a U.S. official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said Bolton had neither testified nor been asked to do so before the grand jury investigating the leak.

White House spokesman Scott McClellan said Bush has used recess appointments in instances where "there are important priorities we're working to advance and it's important to have people in certain positions."

McClellan declined to say whether Bolton would receive a recess appointment.

But when asked in general about possible recess appointments, McClellan said, "If the Senate fails to act and move forward on those nominees, then sometimes there comes a point where the president has needed to fill that in a timely manner by recessing those nominees."

Asked if his U.N. nominee fit into that category, McClellan said: "There's nothing that's changed, in terms of what we said previously on that at this point."

When asked earlier this month about the prospects of a recess appointment for Bolton, McClellan would only say that the White House was seeking an "up or down vote" in the Senate.

Senate Democratic leaders have removed a possible hurdle by signaling that they would not use a recess appointment of Bolton to hold up Bush's nomination of John Roberts to the U.S. Supreme Court.

"It's unlikely that one would be used against the other," said Jim Manley, spokesman for Senate Democratic leader Harry Reid of Nevada.

There had been questions about whether Bolton would accept a recess appointment, which lawmakers said would send him to the United Nations in a weakened political position.

But Republicans say Bolton has signaled his willingness to accept a recess appointment if another vote by the Senate is unlikely to occur.

McClellan said it was premature to speculate on what "may or may not occur" until the Senate adjourns.

But congressional aides said there were no immediate plans to bring Bolton's nomination back to the floor of the Senate for another vote. "I don't see any appetite for that," one senior Democratic aide said.

In procedural votes in May and June, Democrats denied Republicans the 60 votes needed from the 100-member chamber to bring debate on Bolton to a close and move to a confirmation vote, which would require a simple majority.

A number of Democrats and Ohio Republican Sen. George Voinovich (news, bio, voting record) have urged Bush to give up on Bolton and offer another nominee.

http://www.freerepublic.com/^http://news...ush_bolton_dc_3

--------------------
America's debt problem is a "sign of leadership failure"

We have "reckless fiscal policies"

America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership.

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Bush may bypass Senate and appoint Bolton to UN [Re: lonestar2004]
    #4455388 - 07/26/05 12:14 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

What a fucking joke. I would rather see anyone get this position than Bolton.

Offlinelonestar2004
Live to party,work to affordit.
 User Gallery

Loc: South Texas
Re: Bush may bypass Senate and appoint Bolton to UN [Re: Redstorm]
    #4455402 - 07/26/05 12:18 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Some critics have also seized on reports he may have been involved in leaking the identity of a CIA operative, Valerie Plame.......

thats a fucking joke.

--------------------
America's debt problem is a "sign of leadership failure"

We have "reckless fiscal policies"

America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership.

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
    #4455788 - 07/26/05 01:41 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Redstorm said:
What a fucking joke. I would rather see anyone get this position than Bolton.

And I'd rather see Bolton get it than anyone else. Fuck those third world thieving incompetent parasites. We pay most of the bill so we should get to kick their asses.

--------------------

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Bush may bypass Senate and appoint Bolton to UN [Re: zappaisgod]
    #4455794 - 07/26/05 01:42 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I would rather see us not send anyone and then drop out.

OfflineVex
Stranger
    #4455893 - 07/26/05 02:06 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

yeah, why even bother being part of the UN when you are going to slap them right in the face by sending someone who was quoted saying that the UN was irrelevant. Regardless of the UN's worth to the US, sending this guy is just about the least constructive thing you could do.

It boggles my mind as to why Bush selected this guy out of all the guys in the country.

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Re: Bush may bypass Senate and appoint Bolton to UN [Re: Vex]
    #4456102 - 07/26/05 03:11 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

He asked me who he should send and I said I thought he should send the most vituperative motherfucker he could find. He asked me what vituperative meant and I told him and he said, "fuck yeah" and grinned.

--------------------

OfflineBCBudJohn
Foolhardy

Loc: Victoria, BC, Canada
    #4456201 - 07/26/05 03:35 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

The US should leave the UN. The Bush administration has made its stance quite obvious, further obstruction in the UN is only going to cause more anti-american sentiment.

--------------------
Peace
John

InvisibleDieCommie

Re: Bush may bypass Senate and appoint Bolton to UN [Re: BCBudJohn]
    #4456394 - 07/26/05 04:22 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

BCBudJohn said:
The US should leave the UN.

Agreed  :thumbup:

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Re: Bush may bypass Senate and appoint Bolton to UN [Re: DieCommie]
    #4456404 - 07/26/05 04:24 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

No, the US should work from within and veto everything.

--------------------

OfflineJesusChrist
Son Of God
    #4458237 - 07/27/05 12:05 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

This is so important. The last 5 people that we appointed to the UN are on the tip of everyone's tongue. Except that I can't name any of them off hand without a Google search. That proves this is do-or-die for the future of this nation.

Can this guy commit our nation to international agreements? Not without Congressional approval. Does our UN guy ever take a different position that a sitting President? No. He is a bureaucrat. This is a civil service job, though one of the highest order. This job is always just a public mouthpiece of the administration.

It is not like he has the power to usurp the President or Congress. If he tried to we would fire him. He is not very consequential in the order of things.

Take down a list. Rank the most important. At the top you have the President. Some people would have Warren Buffet or Bill Gates, and I won't argue that. But it isn?t Bolton or any UN guy. After the President you have Congress and the Supreme Court. Congress is led buy the 100 person Senate. Throw in the Vice President for good measure. Then take in the House of Representatives, hundreds of more people with real influence. Then think of every Federal judge, in every court around the nation, they all mean more than our UN mouthpiece. They make decisions that matter, rather than articulate somebody else?s point of view (like our civil servant in the UN does).

What about Governors? Hell yeah they mean more. State senators and state representatives? Damn straight, those are real positions of influence that have been earned by the electorate. Mayors? City and village council people? Yes my friends, they have more real power than this glorified civil servant. They get to voice their own opinions; he gets to articulate the position of his administration.

We have literally thousands of more important positions in our government that this civil servant. Tens of thousands. Every judge and even every prosecutor has real power. Our UN guy does not. He is a mouthpiece. He always is and he always was. And we aren?t about to legislate a right to give him more power.

But man is this really important!

And if Bolton died tomorrow, what would happen? Maybe we would get a ?feel good? or ?I love the UN liberal? under George Bush? Not likely. Joe Wilson probably isn?t on the list, though I heard his wife is an undercover covert CIA agent. I read about that in Vanity Fair.

--------------------
Tastes just like chicken

OfflineKalix
'Head

Re: Bush may bypass Senate and appoint Bolton to UN [Re: JesusChrist]
    #4458295 - 07/27/05 12:20 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Not suprising, the Bush family owes Bolton big-time, for all the legal work he did gratis for Jeb after he stole the election in Florida.. Bolton even paid for his flights down to Florida..

--------------------

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: The Shotgun of Sweet Reason

OfflineJesusChrist
Son Of God
    #4458338 - 07/27/05 12:31 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

John Bolton stole the election. I forgot about that. I heard that he stole the Ohio election too. He even put that computer chip into your brain. I saw him do it.

--------------------
Tastes just like chicken

OfflineKalix
'Head

#4458379 - 07/27/05 12:43 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Jeb Bush stole the Florida election, Bolton just gave him free legal help.. Remember the Katherine Harris vote-rigging scandal??

Maybe my computer chip is just acting up...

--------------------

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: The Shotgun of Sweet Reason

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order