Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineNewbieS
User of semicolons.
Male User Gallery

Loc: SoCal
WBS Jar ?'s
    #4453476 - 07/25/05 11:59 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Do the jars have to be tapered or wide mouth? My local store only has pints and quarts that are regular jars.

Are pints or quarts better to use?

I ordered a syringe on Sunday, would it be OK to start the prep later today?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineultralight
fury 762 where are you?

Re: WBS Jar ?'s [Re: Newbie]
    #4453575 - 07/26/05 12:20 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Personally I find wide mouth easier to work with.

Go with quarts, the more spawn the better IMO. Plus their great for G2G transfers cause there is more per jar and will last longer.

Sterilized foil covered jars will keep for a couple weeks so long as they dont dry out. Keep them sealed and store in fridge or in cupboard and you can nock'em up cold out the fridge and set in incubator.

Take care n be safe...

Edit.. If you do get quarts, make sure your PC is big enough for them.

OfflineNewbieS
User of semicolons.
Male User Gallery

Re: WBS Jar ?'s [Re: ultralight]
    #4453669 - 07/26/05 12:38 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I got regular type pint jars, I figure if I'm doing a casing I'll have to break it up anyway.

OfflineNewbieS
User of semicolons.
Male User Gallery

#4453931 - 07/26/05 01:49 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I don't think I'm going to simmer, and I don't think I'm going to pull out the floaters, I read a tek that said they're just fine and can be beneficial. Also, how much does Tyvek go for and is it necessary? Same goes to poly fill, it looks just like a cotton ball to me lol, does it serve a special purpose? Do I have to buy these online or can I find them in stores?

OfflineOnetwothree
This is MajorTom

#4454008 - 07/26/05 02:10 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Tyvek can be found here for free:
http://shop.usps.com/cgi-bin/vsbv/postal...jsp?OID=1684828

Order 50 or so, that's what I did, and it took 3 weeks to get them.

~~~

I'm assuming you don't want to wait that long though, so if you want, go to the local hardware store and get vacuum cleaner bags (there will be 3 ratings: course, medium, and fine) -- Get fine.  Costs like 7 bucks and it should last you for this project.  Make sure the INSIDE of the bag is facing DOWN on the jar.

You might also be able to find some Tyvek housewrap (used for protecting buildings in construction from rain and weather and such... It's call Tyvek Housewrap, by DuPont) from the hardware store by the foot... just buy a few feet of it, shouldn't cost much.  But they don't have that for sale by the foot where I live, only huge 100' rolls which was around 80 bucks, so I said eff that.

Polyfil is used as a SYNTHETIC filter... cotton is a natural fiber and will likely contaminate.  You can go to a local arts and crafts store (Joann's Fabric, etc), and get some polyfil.  It is usually used as PILLOW STUFFING, or for stuffing blankets.  Things like that.  I've heard of people going to Wal-Mart and buying a pillow and using the stuffing, but I've never done it myself.  I got what looks like a big roll of polyfil, not just a grab-bag of it... The one I got is for blankets, but it works none-the-less... just a bit harder to tear off a clump of it.  Cost 8 bucks, and there's a lot of it.

Anyway, hope that helps.

EDIT:
Also, when ya do your jars, I've found it helpful to get a bit of RTV Sillicone Sealant (can get from hardware store, in a little tube... just ask for sillicone sealant, your dad wanted you to pick it up or something), and poke a hole in your jar lid, then put a dab of sealant over it.  That way when you inoculate through that hole, it won't leave an open hole into the jar, the sillicone will re-seal after you pull the syringe out (because when you poke the needle through, it pokes a hole through the tyvek/filter/whatever-you-use).  But be sure to leave a hole in the lid for gas exchange (air will pass through the filter, and through that hole). :smile:

--------------------
Free Spore Ring Canada

Edited by Onetwothree (07/26/05 02:15 AM)

OfflineNewbieS
User of semicolons.
Male User Gallery

Re: WBS Jar ?'s [Re: Onetwothree]
    #4454122 - 07/26/05 02:39 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Come to think of it, my post office has supplies on hand in the corner, maybe I'll pick up some bags, (that is if they're made of tyvek). So I make 2 holes, right? One for AE, the other to inoculate. One thing I'm still shaky on is casing, but I'll continue reading teks and old posts for some tips. Thanks though for all the tips..I appreciate it!

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #4454128 - 07/26/05 02:42 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Id highly suggest simmering if your fruiting off these grains. If spawning them to bulk, just a soak is fine...I'd also add verm in fruiting off them...

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

OfflineOnetwothree
This is MajorTom

#4454130 - 07/26/05 02:42 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

No problem :smile: We all help eachother out here, I would be screwed without the help of others so I thought I'd let ya know what I know :p

Make sure the envelopes say made by DuPont or Tyvek somewhere in the corner.  They are free from the post office so just go in and grab some, no one should say anything.  If by strange reason they do ask why you are taking envelopes, say you gotta are mailing wedding invitations :p Hehe~ They shouldn't say anything though.

Here's a great tutorial to get you started on casings, it's how I got into them! :smile:
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat...rue#Post3039921

EDIT:

Aye as scat says, be sure to simmer if you are going to fruit off the grains, it holds in more water content.  Also adding in some verm is a plus.  Check out his tek in the sig, great stuff :smile:

--------------------
Free Spore Ring Canada

Edited by Onetwothree (07/26/05 02:46 AM)

OfflineNewbieS
User of semicolons.
Male User Gallery

#4454192 - 07/26/05 03:06 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Nice...I didn't realize they'd be FREE lol. Is it hard to screw up casings? I mean if I'm a little off on some things will it show or is it a generally safe way of bulk fruiting?

OfflineHippieChick
Chicks can do it too!
Female User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
Trusted Cultivator
    #4454197 - 07/26/05 03:08 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Wide mouth jars are definitely easier to work with, the regular jars will work.

Quote:

ultralight said:

Sterilized foil covered jars will keep for a couple weeks so long as they don't dry out. Keep them sealed and store in fridge or in cupboard and you can nock'em up cold out the fridge and set in incubator.

I, myself wouldn't wait that long with WBS. PF jars I have used after 2 months with no problem, I recently PC'ed 2 dozen WBS jars and for one reason or another, put off inoculation for about 11 days. Stored in the dark at room temp. Tyvek and metal lid and ring.

When I went to inoculate, 6 had green. Decided to inoculate the other 18 with LC. 4 days later 4 more had green. Was probably already present when I inoculated.

My thinking was if some endospores survived the soak and simmer. Didn't germinate. Well, they survive PC'ing, that's why we germinate them in the first place, given a week or so in a sterile environment with no competing mycelium. Whats to stop them from taking over.

I won't ever put off inoculating WBS more then a day or so again.

Peace,Love,Happiness and Harmony.
:heart: Hippie Chick  :mushroom2:

--------------------
Peace,Love and Happiness
:heart: HC :mushroom2:

Freedoms just another word for nothing left to lose..............

I LUV My Greenhouse
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/5545848#5545848

My First Pans
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/6212058#6212058

OfflineOnetwothree
This is MajorTom

Re: WBS Jar ?'s [Re: HippieChick]
    #4454250 - 07/26/05 03:32 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Aye Hippie... always gotta simmer.

I know though, that I didn't knock up a jar of rye for a month (was a test jar to make sure I did everything OK), and when I did, it grew fine. I think the reason ya got green was the no simmering... I mean, if you think about it, you create a sterile environment inside the jar, as long as the jar is sealed off and/or filtered properly, there shouldn't be any contam. The only thing you have to worry about is everything going dry... but a few days shouldn't be any problem. I'd go ahead and get em ready so when you get your spores get in you can knock em up.

I'd look into doing a Liquid Culture though, if you are up for the extra wait. It will make your spore syringes last a LOT longer... and will speed up colonization of your jars when you do knock them up. But it's your call. Using the spore syringe will work, and it takes a couple tries to get the LC right.

Agar had a great tek on it somewhere around here. A good recipe is 200ml water, and 6ml (6cc's on a syringe) of Karo Corn Syrup... PC at 5-8psi for 20 minutes. Let it cool, and knock it up (with 1-2cc's of spore solution)... You'll see myc growing in the water in a few days (3 days you'll see little LITTLE BARELY VISIBLE balls of myc, in 7 days you'll see a lot). Then suck that stuff up into your EMPTY syringe (hoping that you have an empty one!~), and put it in the jars.

Anyway I'm rambling, I need sleep. Night!

--------------------
Free Spore Ring Canada

OfflineHippieChick
Chicks can do it too!
Female User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
Trusted Cultivator
    #4454276 - 07/26/05 03:45 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Hey, read my post,

I said,

"My thinking was if some endospores survived the soak and simmer. Didn't germinate. Well, they survive PC'ing, that's why we germinate them in the first place, given a week or so in a sterile environment with no competing mycelium. Whats to stop them from taking over."

I'm talking about any endospores that might not germinate in the soak and simmer. And , I believe the simmer is to get proper moisture content, not germinate endospores. These endospores given free rein for too long, will thrieve.

Right there I said soak and simmer. What lead you to believe I didn't simmer ?

LC's, you mean like these,

Yea, I keep a few gallons around in case I ever need it,lol.

Actually, I find a better recipe to be 1 tablespoon each light malt extract and dextrose per quart distilled water.

Then in 3 days I like to see this growing,

But, to each their own,lol.

OfflineHotnuts
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Wild Blue Yawnder
    #4454557 - 07/26/05 07:33 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

HippieChick said:
Hey, read my post,

I said,

"My thinking was if some endospores survived the soak and simmer. Didn't germinate. Well, they survive PC'ing, that's why we germinate them in the first place, given a week or so in a sterile environment with no competing mycelium. Whats to stop them from taking over."

I'm talking about any endospores that might not germinate in the soak and simmer. And , I believe the simmer is to get proper moisture content, not germinate endospores. These endospores given free rein for too long, will thrieve.

LC's, you mean like these,

Yea, I keep a few gallons around in case I ever need it,lol.

Actually, I find a better recipe to be 1 tablespoon each light malt extract and dextrose per quart distilled water.

Then in 3 days I like to see this growing,

But, to each their own,lol.

That's why it's so important to get whole grains colonized before these (heat resistant) endospores germinate and take over the food source. Simmering of whole grains isn't required if you've soaked for long enough, but to each it's own on that.

OfflineNewbieS
User of semicolons.
Male User Gallery

#4454693 - 07/26/05 08:22 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Well I stopped at the post office 2day and found the envelopes.  Thought it would feel like plastic but it looks like it's made of fibers.  Anyway, it says tyvek on the side so I should be good...next and last stop: polyfill :smile:

Offlineultralight
fury 762 where are you?

Re: WBS Jar ?'s [Re: Hotnuts]
    #4454700 - 07/26/05 08:24 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I agree with Hippy, I stated they would last a couple weeks from my Personal Experience, just forgot to say that. Personally I have not had any problems storing sterile grain jars. Everyone's grain choice and source is different so eventually you will find out what will work for you.

Just didnt want to confuse anyone..
Good luck,
Take care n be safe...

OfflineNewbieS
User of semicolons.
Male User Gallery

#4454713 - 07/26/05 08:28 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I've already learned countless things from you guys on this forum.  I'm surprised how eager everyone is to help, especially on such a tedious and time consuming project.  Many thanks though, now and down the road :wink:

Offlinetoadstools
great googelymoogely
 User Gallery

Loc: FL USA
    #4455159 - 07/26/05 11:10 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

take apart an old stuffed animal if you got any around the house for some quick, free?, polyfil, and enough to last a long time.

--------------------
:mushroom2: :heart: :sun: Meddle, Meddle, Friend of mine, All good things in all good time! :sun: :heart: :mushroom2:

Edited by toadstools (07/26/05 11:25 AM)

OfflineOnetwothree
This is MajorTom

#4456047 - 07/26/05 02:54 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

HippieChick said:

I guess I was more out of it than I thought, totally missed that, sorry :smile: I need to lay off the :bongload: when I start postin at night :wink:

Anywho, take care.  Btw nice LC's :laugh:

--------------------
Free Spore Ring Canada

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder