Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinepshawny
Mycobian
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Shroomery
N.J. Lawmakers Wants to Ban Smoking in Cars
    #4455771 - 07/26/05 03:37 PM (12 years, 28 days ago)

N.J. Lawmakers Wants to Ban Smoking in Cars
7/26/05 intox.com

Some lawmakers have proposed prohibiting smoking in cars with children, but two New Jersey state legislators want an outright ban on smoking behind the wheel, saying that smoking distracts drivers and puts others at risk on the road.

The Associated Press reported July 25 that Assemblyman John McKeon and Assemblywoman Lorretta Weinberg cosponsored the measure, citing a AAA study that showed that 1 percent of an estimated 32,000 accidents caused by distracted drivers were caused by smoking.

Violated could be hit with a $250 fine. But observers say the odds are against the bill becoming law. Smokers see it as an intrusion on their rights, and others say drivers are expected to ignore the law if it were passed. "In general, we'd rather not try to incrementally look at every single behavior and make those a violation," said Mitchell Sklar, of the New Jersey State Association of Chiefs of Police.

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblebwalker
The BodyElectric
Loc: NJ, USA
Re: N.J. Lawmakers Wants to Ban Smoking in Cars [Re: pshawny]
    #4455881 - 07/26/05 04:04 PM (12 years, 28 days ago)

I'm split on this one. On one hand, cars are private property. So long as it remains legal to smoke, they shouldn't be allowed to legislate what you do while inside private property.

But living in this delightful state, there were a number of times my life almost came to a quick, violent end because of some idiot housewife with a cigarette in one hand and a cell phone in another while behind the wheel of her SUV.

Personally, I'd have no problem with people like that being drug out of their vehicles and pistol whipped.

OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site
Re: N.J. Lawmakers Wants to Ban Smoking in Cars [Re: bwalker]
    #4456101 - 07/26/05 05:10 PM (12 years, 27 days ago)

idiot drivers have nothing to do with cigarettes bwalker.

Invisibleblacksabbathrulz
 User Gallery
Re: N.J. Lawmakers Wants to Ban Smoking in Cars [Re: CptnGarden]
    #4457068 - 07/26/05 09:26 PM (12 years, 27 days ago)

I think this would be a disaster, people would not smoke, and then become very irratated, thus filled with road rage, which could cause problems.

--------------------

Offlinesander
learning

Loc: MA and IA
Re: N.J. Lawmakers Wants to Ban Smoking in Cars [Re: blacksabbathrulz]
    #4457390 - 07/26/05 10:45 PM (12 years, 27 days ago)

i would rather they smoke in their car then in front of the building I'm going in and out of. i see the issue but in general I'm in favor of broadening personal freedoms and not in favor of restricting them. i would vote against these ordinances if i were in that state and they came up.

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: N.J. Lawmakers Wants to Ban Smoking in Cars [Re: pshawny]
    #4458973 - 07/27/05 06:42 AM (12 years, 27 days ago)

> saying that smoking distracts drivers and puts others at risk on the road.

I hate cigarettes, and I dislike smoking in indoor public places (regardless of what is being smoked) other than bars, but the anti-smoking crusade is getting silly. How long before it is illegal to smoke if you live within ten miles of somebody else? Once smoking is taken care of, drinking will be next, followed by sex. How long before you can only have sex missionary style, with the lights on, before midnight, and not on Sunday.

I can't begin to count the number of times I have cussed at a driver that almost wrecked because of a cell phone. Not once, never, have I cussed at a driver that almost wrecked because of a cigarette. If they were worried about our health, they should pass laws that make cars produce less toxins rather than worry about smokers. If they were worried about safety, they should pass laws outlawing cell phones, application of makeup, reading, talking, and all the other stupid stuff I see drivers doing. If they simply want to take away peoples right to smoke, then they should admit as much and let the voters take care of the issue by electing somebody else into office.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

InvisibleSuperD
Cacti junky
 User Gallery

Loc: The bridgesii bridge
Re: N.J. Lawmakers Wants to Ban Smoking in Cars [Re: Seuss]
    #4459186 - 07/27/05 09:19 AM (12 years, 27 days ago)

I'm not a big fan of cigarettes either. I've tried them maybe three or four times and can't see how people get addicted to that nasty shit. Either way, I don't see it being a problem when people smoke while driving. Stupid law proposal.

--------------------
:super:D
Manoa said:
I need to stop spending all my money on plants and take up a cheaper hobby, like heroin. :lol:

Looking for Rauhocereus riosaniensis seeds or live specimen(s), :pm: me if you have any for trade

InvisibleLeftyBurnz
Mr. I Eat Butthole
Male User Gallery

Loc: FL
Re: N.J. Lawmakers Wants to Ban Smoking in Cars [Re: SuperD]
    #4461693 - 07/27/05 10:53 PM (12 years, 26 days ago)

i used to be a big smoker but i quit about a year and a half ago(besides ocasionally when theres a little powder around or im reaaaaaalllly drunk) but when im sober or even stoned i cannot stand cigs at all, i hate them more now then before i started smoking, it makes me sick to my stomach to smell a cig, but i still feel that you should be able to smoke outside anywhere you want(even at the beach like some places have already outlawed) and in your car, even if someone chooses to be a bad parent and smoke around their kids, what they do on their private property is their business.

--------------------

Offlinesander
learning

Loc: MA and IA
Re: N.J. Lawmakers Wants to Ban Smoking in Cars [Re: LeftyBurnz]
    #4463817 - 07/28/05 11:08 AM (12 years, 26 days ago)

if its all about the kids safety then we should regulate what parents feed their children (i propose a law that would prevent a growing child from eating fast food more then ... 3 times a week) as obesity will kill you too, and even if it doesn't kill you it will complicate your life and... well... i cant imagine that being obese is fun. at any rate its a very slippery slope when you try and legislate personal choices.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service