Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineiambobby
I am what I am
 User Gallery

Loc: Australia
Contaminent Enemies. Cultivators Friends.
    #4454773 - 07/26/05 08:44 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I want to know what I can add to a substrate that will be either neutral/positive to the mushrooms and will wipe out/be negative to any contaminants... Can you let me know what you think?

2 questions for the following items:
a) will it kill contaminants and
b) will it leave the mycology alone or give it vitamins/minerals/nutrients?

Colloidal Silver - This stuff is meant to cure everything.
Garlic - Kills a virus and can make you throw up your guts.
Alkaline Water - Good for detoxing
Sesame Seed Oil - An antioxidant and its rich in good stuff
Spirulina - I know you might say its not intended for mushrooms but it wasn't really intended for humans either and we love it
Raw Honey - It creates hydrogen peroxide

Ok, when I started this list I thought they would just roll out but this is a start. Please add to the list any things that will improve the chances of a good bacterial victory.
Does microwaving your grain substrate kill the life force of the grains?
You may choose only one

Votes accepted from (07/26/05 08:44 AM) to (No end specified)
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblebackupwards
peon

Loc: somewhere else
Re: Contaminent Enemies. Cultivators Friends. [Re: iambobby]
    #4454798 - 07/26/05 08:54 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

of course the microwave is going to kill off the lifeforce of the grains. i dare you to micro some grains and then get them to germinate.
don't be so lazy, the sterilization process isn't that hard and will almost surely give you success without contams.
i don't know if any of the things you listed will be detrimental to the mycellium or not. i haven't read anywhere here of people adding any of those items to the substrate to help keep contams away. i did read about the colodial silver but there is no data as to it being beneficial or not yet.

how does raw honey create h2o2?

peace

Edited by backupwards (07/26/05 09:05 AM)

OfflineJellyRollMorton
Stranger Danger
Loc: Bobland
    #4455332 - 07/26/05 11:57 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

i know that when using peat moss for casings raising the ph to 6 or 7 will help the myc and help prevent some contams, especially trich.

OfflineMych
Stranger

Re: Contaminent Enemies. Cultivators Friends. [Re: JellyRollMorton]
    #4455534 - 07/26/05 12:52 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

:shiftyeyes:

there are alot of issues with your post but i think the answer to all your questions would be in researching the difference between pasteurization and sterilization... and which process can be used for what substrate

Offlinexburn
V card
Re: Contaminent Enemies. Cultivators Friends. [Re: Mych]
    #4455648 - 07/26/05 01:16 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

the collodial silver thing has been answered in depth in advanced myc once. There were some very good links so do a search in there.

--------------------
Check out the official MushroomWiki at http://www.mushroomwiki.com. Stop by and contribute.

Offlineiambobby
I am what I am
 User Gallery

Re: Contaminent Enemies. Cultivators Friends. [Re: xburn]
    #4456725 - 07/26/05 05:45 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah I didn't think they would germinate. If the micro is hurting the grains energy system then it is also defeating aspects of its ability to withstand contaminants, imo.

It needs to be Raw Honey because I think heated honey destroys the glucose oxidase enzyme which produces hydrogen peroxide. I think light can have this same effect of killing the enzyme. It shouldn't be heated above 37 degrees celcius and kept in the dark or one of those brown bottles. You will often see Manuka honey kept in these dark jars.

Thanks for keeping me on the sterile pathway backupwards. You make it seem less complicated everytime you say something :smile:

Thanks for the tips JellyRollMorton, Mych, xburn.

--------------------
Yesterday, the world was flat. Today, the world is a round ball. Tomorrow? The world will not be defined so easily with words...

Offlineiambobby
I am what I am
 User Gallery

#4456728 - 07/26/05 05:47 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Some additional stuff I found on honey...
"The antibacterial activity of honey is due primarily to hydrogen peroxide generated by the action of an enzyme that the bees add to the nectar, but there are some floral sources that provide additional antibacterial components. The body tissues and serum contain an enzyme, catalase, that breaks down hydrogen peroxide - how much of the honey antibacterial activity is lost through this is not known."

--------------------
Yesterday, the world was flat. Today, the world is a round ball. Tomorrow? The world will not be defined so easily with words...

Offlineiambobby
I am what I am
 User Gallery

#4456755 - 07/26/05 05:53 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Ahh the myths have been clarified regarding honey, thanks to scatmanrav:
"Oh one other thing, honey doesnt create h202, it contains small amounts, making it a good preservative. However with honey water, it must be PCed first, and at those temperatures, h202 breaks down making it no different then any other sugar. Good luck! "

--------------------

OfflinePinx
Stranger
    #4470077 - 07/29/05 04:03 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Well AFAIK H2O2 in the Honey does shit for preserving it, the main reason for honey to last so long wo contam. is that honey is mainly fructose and glucose wo any water and wo water nothing can live....

That's also the reason why honey can be dangerous for baby's, because microorganisms(or at least spores) will survive inside the honey, they just don't grow. Its a kind of stasis caused by the lack of water as soon as water is added the spores can germinate and maybe overpower the weak immunesysteme of a baby...

my 2c€nts

Offlineiambobby
I am what I am
 User Gallery

Re: Contaminent Enemies. Cultivators Friends. [Re: Pinx]
    #4471888 - 07/29/05 10:46 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Ahh I see! Thanks for the info Pinx. That makes sense.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds