Home | Community | Message Board

Radical Mycology Book by Chthaeus Press
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleThinkPink
Cheese Farmer
 User Gallery
Not Fully Colonized Jars- Help
    #4455174 - 07/26/05 01:14 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

My pF Jars refuse to colonize fully, and I have a bout 25 jars, most of which are half-3/4 colonized. What is the general rule about using these. There is no contams, so i figured i could just break up the cakes and separate the colonized from not colonized brf and case to good white chunks? Also, whats the rule about mixing cakes from 2 diff strains. Thanx, NEWB.

--------------------
I tripped and fell into a revolution

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineJellyRollMorton
Stranger Danger
Loc: Bobland
Re: Not Fully Colonized Jars- Help [Re: ThinkPink]
    #4455316 - 07/26/05 01:51 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

yes it would be fine to remove uncolonized parts and case the rest. as for mixing two straings, i think that would make the strains compete for nutes and water and it would make them both weaker. im not sure about that though.

Offlineultralight
fury 762 where are you?

#4455324 - 07/26/05 01:53 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

How long have the jars been incubating?and what temps?
How long have they appeared to be stalled? and what size jars?

Its not advised to mix two strains together because the two mycelliums will not work together. By them selves they can form a strong network for transporting nutes and moisture. Mix them together and it will stay fragmented and the network will be destroyed. They can be put side by side in a terraium, but not mixed.

Take care n be safe...

InvisibleThinkPink
Cheese Farmer
 User Gallery
    #4455345 - 07/26/05 02:03 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks, I hav the jars dated as being knocked up on the 11th, and they have made little progress since the 22nd. Could his be because I tamped down to hard when making the brf jars? I use the heatbomb tek so temps are usually 84f. Also, i decided to try 12 of the fat half pints as well as 12 of the tall 1/2 pints. But both of them have stalled before reaching the bottom. Also, i turnd them upside down for 2 days to allow the CO2 to drop out. Any suggestions?

--------------------
I tripped and fell into a revolution

Offlineultralight
fury 762 where are you?

#4455411 - 07/26/05 02:21 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Temps are good,
Its only been 15 days, 3-4weeks for full colonization is not unheard of.. if you tapped down the brf and its become compact, that will slow colonization a lot.
I would say leave them upsidedown and give them another week.
If you dont/cant wait then you can cut off all the uncolonized sections with a sterile knife, under the best sterile conditions you can/willing to do.

Some have had success with knocking the whole stalled jar into a ziplock baggie and kneading the colonized and uncolonized parts together then put back into incubator to finish colonization. Remember to remain sterile when allowing uncolonized substrate to contact non-sterile air.

Take care n be safe...

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation