Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisiblePsychoslut
The Mother Fucking Bear-o-dactyl
 User Gallery
Loc: all up in ya
An air exchange idea
    #4452831 - 07/25/05 10:02 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

You could hook up an industrial oxygen bottle to an electric solenoid valve. Have the oxygen bottle cranked on at all times. At intervals during the day, the electric solenoid will be actuated by an on/off timer. When the timer comes on, your chamber gets filled with pure sterile o2. When the timer goes off your valve closes and the oxygen is cut off from your chamber.

Any thoughts or ideas?

--------------------

[quote]KristiMidocean said:
Good now thats clear.WHO FUCKING CARES. If I am fat u all keep pointing it out like its suppose to be a secret.LIke u really have nothing better to do then make fat jokes. If o know its like I do I know yall can come up with NEW AND BETTER SHIT . This shit is old and boring . I left in the first place cause this shit got boring not because of the fat jokes . Fat jokes dont bother me but seriously its old[/quote]

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineultralight
fury 762 where are you?

Re: An air exchange idea [Re: Psychoslut]
    #4452912 - 07/25/05 10:17 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Seems like a good idea for sterile air, but I would think it would eventually dry out a casing and lower humidity too much for cakes...

You would still have to create humidity one way or another. For the size of 80% of members grow ops. a coolmist is more than enough and more cost effective for air exchange. and an ultrasonic is more than adaquate for humidity.

Just some of my thoughts..

Take care n be safe...

Offlineultralight
fury 762 where are you?

Re: An air exchange idea [Re: ultralight]
    #4452925 - 07/25/05 10:19 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

OH, I could be 100% wrong on this, but isnt pure oxygen extreemly flammable and combustable?

Take care n be safe...

InvisiblePsychoslut
 User Gallery
    #4452938 - 07/25/05 10:23 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I was just wanting a way to help supplement a double tub or multiple double tubs with some sterile air. 10 seconds of oxygen every 5 hours isnt going to dry out the caseing.

My idea isnt intended for a martha closet, sorry i didnt add that.

--------------------

Good now thats clear.WHO FUCKING CARES. If I am fat u all keep pointing it out like its suppose to be a secret.LIke u really have nothing better to do then make fat jokes. If o know its like I do I know yall can come up with NEW AND BETTER SHIT . This shit is old and boring . I left in the first place cause this shit got boring not because of the fat jokes . Fat jokes dont bother me but seriously its old[/quote]

Offlineultralight
fury 762 where are you?

#4452974 - 07/25/05 10:32 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I see what your sayin...

IMO, I dont think the results would be noticeable enough for the time money and effort unless someone already has the supplys.

But then again the only way to know its effectiveness would be to do several side by side runs.

I feel the beauty in the mono tub and double tub teks are in their simplicity.

Take care n be safe...

Offlineiateshaggy
i haxor 360s
Male User Gallery

Loc: 612 Warf Avenue, next to....
    #4452985 - 07/25/05 10:35 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

1. o2 is not flammable or combustible. fire needs 3 elements, heat, o2, and fuel. the fuel part is the combustible element. if you light a match and blow o2 on it the match will burn faster but the o2 will not light up like a blow torch.

2. maybe if you set up the hose to blow through some warm water(in a sealed container) and then blow into the fc. kind of like a bong with a hose out the top.

--------------------
You are a filipina sex goddess who wants to fuck me until I fall asleep, so then you can tickle my balls and see if the legend of my diamond filled nutsuck is true.  I am a white man from costa rica, who smells like lime jello.

I can flash/jtag/repair 360's, pm for details.

Offlinered914
Minion
Loc: Utah
    #4452999 - 07/25/05 10:38 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Pure O2 causes normally slightly flammable substances to burn like gunpowder. The gas from a bottle would take some spark to set it off. I have dipped green plants in liquid O2 and set them off with a torch striker. Causes blinding flash. Wouldn't want anything big, like a plastic tub to catch, you might loose your house.
I don't think it would take very much O2 to make a big change, maybe fill a balloon a little bit and 'puff' it through the inoc hole to keep agar going.
You probably know this, but be careful of using argon solenoids with O2, the oil in them will explode your cylinder. O2 equipment threads are reversed to most other gasses to protect you. besides, Oxygen costs a lot more than alcohol to clean things.

InvisiblePsychoslut
 User Gallery
    #4453025 - 07/25/05 10:41 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

The results would most likely be negligible i agree.

--------------------

InvisiblePsychoslut
 User Gallery
Re: An air exchange idea [Re: red914]
    #4453064 - 07/25/05 10:46 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

oxygen will not catch flame.

take a oxygen bottle made for a cutting torch, put a torch nozzel on the bottle, and flame it with a lighter.

it will burn in no way shape or form.

it makes fuels burn better though

--------------------

OfflineOnetwothree
This is MajorTom

#4453111 - 07/25/05 10:51 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

ultralight said:
OH, I could be 100% wrong on this, but isnt pure oxygen extreemly flammable and combustable?

Take care n be safe...

Not exactly... oxygen is an oxidizer (surprise surprise!) meaning that it exponentiates the flamability of regular combustibles (ie wood).  If you blow oxygen onto a match it will blow it out.  However in an oxygen saturated environment (say 35% oxygen), things are more flamible, and will ignite much more violently.

/shrug

edit: oh didn't notice everyone else said that :P guess im not the only wise guy (took firefighter 1) hehe~ :smile: But also, as to the original poster -- I had this idea too, but a) it would cost a lot, and b) it is very dangerous.

But if you did get it set up nice and safe, I think that the O2 would benefit the mushrooms.  But that's purely speculation... I know on ambulance runs we give everyone and everything pure O2 (calms them down, placeabo pretty much for non trauma, and helps shock for the trauma).  But as far as I know, mushies like to breath O2, I don't see why giving them more of it would hurt in any way --- IF you could do it safely, which I have no idea how.

--------------------
Free Spore Ring Canada

Edited by Onetwothree (07/25/05 10:56 PM)

Offlinered914
Minion
    #4453163 - 07/25/05 10:57 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

True, I was using liquid. You need fuel. Take the nozzle and shove it against a roll of toilet paper for a while, than light the paper. For liquid example, look here: http://www.ambrosiasw.com/Ambrosia_Times/September_95/2.5HowTo.html
For bottled gas, I figure you would be ok. But.. remember that satellite where all the guys died on the lanch platform? It just took a spark in the pure o2 atmosphere with stuff like cloth, paper and the like.

Offlinered914
Minion
    #4453186 - 07/25/05 11:02 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Safty aside... (somehow, I usually end up in an emergency room whan I say this..) How much o2 would you use until it would become toxic to the mushroom myc?

OfflineNewbieS
User of semicolons.
Male User Gallery

Loc: SoCal
    #4453793 - 07/26/05 01:13 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I think liquid oxygen is flammible...it's rocket fuel isn't it?

OfflineOnetwothree
This is MajorTom

Re: An air exchange idea [Re: Newbie]
    #4453939 - 07/26/05 01:52 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I don't think O2 can be toxic, but don't quote me on that, I could be completely wrong. But I don't think we would give patients pure O2 if it was harmful. So as far as I know it doesn't hurt us. I don't think it would hurt the myc. You just want to run it through water to humidify it, because bottled O2 is very dry.

--------------------
Free Spore Ring Canada

Offlinered914
Minion
Re: An air exchange idea [Re: Onetwothree]
    #4455225 - 07/26/05 11:28 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

No, Psycoslut is right that liquid o2 needs fuel. It is used as rocket fuel, with some other super nasty fuel element and mixed in the engine. I have industrial O2. I thought I would try some agar experiments to see if the myc would respond better with say 30% o2 over the normal 16% in air. I could bubble some into a test tube, and suck it up in a syringe, so measuring % could be attempted. As to the toxic part, it becomes toxic under pressure. I just don't know how that would effect mushrooms, and Im not going to run pressure. What Im hopeing for is a way to get myc to overpower contams. I have no idea what I am doing here, I do know industrial gasses. I also have Pure Argon! Won't do anything for the mushrooms. You can get O2 in little cylinders at home depot in the tool area. The threads are reversed, so you have to have the special valve to tap it. Don't try to circumvent the valve design, just buy the valve and live. There is not much in there, but enough for experiments.

OfflineMych
Stranger

#4455301 - 07/26/05 11:46 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

ultralight said:
Seems like a good idea for sterile air, but I would think it would eventually dry out a casing and lower humidity too much for cakes...

You would still have to create humidity one way or another. For the size of 80% of members grow ops. a coolmist is more than enough and more cost effective for air exchange. and an ultrasonic is more than adaquate for humidity.

Just some of my thoughts..

Take care n be safe...

actually it would dry them out less because you are pushing less volume per % O2 into the chamber than you would with just filtered air.

i personally just put my airpump inside a sealed container with a hepa installed in the top. i would imagine you could install a cool mist the same way.

InvisiblePsychoslut
 User Gallery
    #4456264 - 07/26/05 03:56 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Id bet that if you pumped oxygen into a tub at the rate it comes out the bottle on full blast, for like 10 seconds or so, it wouldnt hurt anything. It would be enough to lower the co2 level.

I hear that rocket fuel is kerosine. I didnt hear it from a rocket scientest though.

--------------------

Offlinered914
Minion
    #4456315 - 07/26/05 04:07 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Put the o2 hose in near the top, open a hole near the bottom for the co2 to leak out (its heavier), than slowly gas it. I kind of deal with the co2 buildup by having a false floor in my chanber and keep the spawn pans near the top, out of the co2. Id try your idea, but I don't have anything going in the tub right now.

InvisiblePsychoslut
 User Gallery
    #4456386 - 07/26/05 04:20 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I might try and tell the results.

Im not going to mess with a solenoid or timer though, ill gas it manually and check to see if it does any good.

Really the reason i want to do it is cause double tub is too expensive, why use 2 tubs for one grow when you can hook up a oxygen bottle to two tubs and two grows?  :wink:. If it is too difficult to turn a gas valve on 3 times a day to exchange the air is a matter of perspective. Me i think its too big a pain in the ass to build a double tub, when all you need is a bottle of oxygen, a vinyl hose, and something to cut a hole in the rubbermaid for the hose to go to. All of the deciding how high to cut your poly fill holes and stuff sucks.

--------------------

Offlinered914
Minion
    #4456462 - 07/26/05 04:41 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I use double tub to keep the temp stable, as in my area, it can get really hot and cold. I finally got a big o2 tank because it costs almost the same to fill as the little bitty ones. Now, I refill about once a year, depending on how much steel I cut. I used to rent bottles, not bad if you can use all the gas quick, otherwise, after a year, just buy it.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom