Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineDrink_Punk_Soda
Now with ExtraVaganza!?

Loc: Nowhere fast
Re: God Bless America [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #4456703 - 07/26/05 05:37 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Hue, I've got to point this out.  These guys are feeding you lines to get a rise out of you, and every time you take the bait.

You're entitled to your beliefs, and we can all see you hold them strongly and would gladly defend them.  I don't think you're going to change any minds today, at least in this thread.

:shrug:

:2cents:

--------------------

Kumbayah my lord, Kumbayah...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
Re: God Bless America [Re: Drink_Punk_Soda]
    #4456708 - 07/26/05 05:40 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I enjoy rising to their bait. Maybe it's the trout fisherman in me...let me guess you guys are into animal rights?? It is worth noting anger is often the catalyst of change. When this place makes me angry I know I have a concept that needs closer examination.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

Edited by Huehuecoyotl (07/26/05 05:41 PM)

OfflineDrink_Punk_Soda
Now with ExtraVaganza!?

#4456720 - 07/26/05 05:44 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Fair enough, as long as you don't dismiss the possibility that your own beliefs may require examination.

--------------------

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

#4456733 - 07/26/05 05:48 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I try (and often fail) to examine my beliefs always. Change through adopting new paradigms is what prevents stagnation. One should seek to be dynamic.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

InvisibleArp
roving mycophagist
 User Gallery

Loc: in a van by the river
    #4456746 - 07/26/05 05:51 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

So why are there so many patriotic Americans? Cause its a pretty "new" country, or that it being fueld by self-intrest?

OfflineDrink_Punk_Soda
Now with ExtraVaganza!?

Re: God Bless America [Re: Arp]
    #4456780 - 07/26/05 05:58 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Perhaps because the country was founded on principles of patriotism?

Did you know that a (ancient) Greek considered his state to be an integral part of his identity? The loss of citizenship was one of the harshest penalties that could be applied, save death. This was true through massive corruption, obvious wrongdoings, and disagreements with the governing body. Then again, Athens was a "true" democracy, which didn't work out very fairly either.

--------------------

InvisibleArp
roving mycophagist
 User Gallery

Loc: in a van by the river
    #4456854 - 07/26/05 06:18 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Patrotism is pretty cute but very vicious :laugh:
Like a tiger  :captain:

InvisibleMushmanTheManic
Stranger

#4456858 - 07/26/05 06:19 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Huehuecoyotl said:
"What about the rest of the world? I try my damnedest to have love for everyone, not just the people who fall within certian ink excretions."

I was defining patriotism. Of course I have kinship and empathy for all humans, but just as I put familly above others I put my fellow countymen above others in a similar fashion....because I must live with them.

You don't have to live with them. A vast majority of them you will never even come into contact with.

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
Re: God Bless America [Re: MushmanTheManic]
    #4456872 - 07/26/05 06:29 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Tiny Tim said it all. "God bless us all." :heart: No us, no them. Just life to be lived! :heart: Can we wrap ourselves around that? :mushroom2:

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Re: God Bless America [Re: Icelander]
    #4457171 - 07/26/05 07:46 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Someday that might be the reality. Right now we are still a deeply tribal species. I base my beliefs on practicality, and that is the pragmatic view.

--------------------

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Re: God Bless America [Re: Arp]
    #4457194 - 07/26/05 07:52 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Self interest of course. That is not always a bad thing if the self interest can be responsible.

--------------------

InvisibleIcelander
Male

#4457306 - 07/26/05 08:29 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Huehuecoyotl said:
Someday that might be the reality. Right now we are still a deeply tribal species. I base my beliefs on practicality, and that is the pragmatic view.

Who is we white man? Speak for yourself. :grin: :heart: :heart: :heart: I am teasing you, but still serious. :heart:

--------------------

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

#4457844 - 07/26/05 10:27 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

"Who is we white man?"

We is humanity. Once again, I do not consider views that do not have practical result in my lifetime for adoption. I want help with the here/now...the hereafter is speculation.

--------------------

InvisibleIcelander
Male

#4457879 - 07/26/05 10:37 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Ah, but this view does have practical result. My life is better personally for me, because I consider us all one people. :thumbup: Only people ready for living a different paradigm can hope to  change the current one. :smile:

Who said anything about the hearafter? :confused:

--------------------

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

#4457955 - 07/26/05 10:55 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

While humanity is one as a species, I tend to see people in descending groups. I consider my familly first, my community second, my country third, my world community fourth. I learned an idea a few years back. All humans have a circle of concern and a circle of influence. The circle of concern is usually larger than the circle of influence. If you try to affect issues inside your circle of concern you are addressing issues that you have little or no influence over. If one works within the circle of influence one can have immediate effect. If one works effectively inside the circle of influence it gets larger so a bit more of ones circle of concern falls inside the circle of influence. For instance, if I wanted to end the war in Iraq so I immediately try to set up an appointment with the president to tell him to lay off Iraq I would not get far. While the presidents actions are inside my circle of concern, they are not under my influence. A better option would be to effectively arrange protests within my community involving people who I have influence over. Then say I attracted media attention...my circle of influence just grew larger. It makes more sense to me to consider the people over whom I hold influence to be more immediately important than those over whom I have no influence. I have found this idea to be highly effective. I cross bridges as I come to them...I do not try to cross them all at once.

--------------------

InvisibleIcelander
Male

#4457978 - 07/26/05 11:01 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

To each his own. :thumbup:

You have to remember that Gomp and I ( and John Lennon) are dreaming. So we often play by different rules. :grin: :mushroom2:

--------------------

Offlinecrunchytoast
oppositional

Loc: aporia
    #4458695 - 07/27/05 01:49 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

i gotta admit i liked your posts hue, i enjoyed seeing as your position seemed to sway side to side as the thread developed
like a tree still in the same place but somehow different for the experience almost

--------------------
"consensus on the nature of equilibrium is usually established by periodic conflict." -henry kissinger

OfflineBlueCoyote
Beyond
Male User Gallery

Loc: Between
Re: God Bless America [Re: crunchytoast]
    #4459561 - 07/27/05 09:43 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

So, g*d bless each ones own country ? That sounds like, g*d bless country. I would prefer: "G*d bless earth"
(BTW, I am no supporter of land-claiming white guys, but I must admit that my national Bavarian Hymn also starts with "G*d with you, the land of the Bavarians". Crazy Humans :wink:)

--------------------
Though lovers be lost love shall not  And death shall have no dominion
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men."Martin Luther King, Jr.
'Acceptance is the absolute key - at that moment you gain freedom and you gain power and you gain courage'

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Re: God Bless America [Re: crunchytoast]
    #4459623 - 07/27/05 10:03 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

" i enjoyed seeing as your position seemed to sway side to side as the thread developed
like a tree still in the same place but somehow different for the experience almost"

Thanks, I am for the most part a stubborn bastard, but I do give a little here and there. My position is not steadfast in every respect. Not every opinion I have is well thought out. Since I started posting on the Shroomery many of my positions have shifted dramatically. If you check my earlier posts you will see a big change in my opinions on politics. I once viewed myself as a staunch political conservative, but lately I am no longer sure what my politics are...Libertarian maybe?? In real life most of my friends these days seem to be liberals. That is just an example. We should all try to take influence where it is offered as long as it seems pertinant to our lives. I have a shell...we all do...but it can be cracked.

--------------------

InvisibleIcelander
Male

#4459668 - 07/27/05 10:23 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

The crack in the cosmic egg so to speak. :thumbup: Ever read that one Hue? By J Chilton Perce I believe.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order