Home | Community | Message Board


Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblemoog
Stranger

Registered: 02/15/05
Posts: 1,296
clothing
    #4450544 - 07/25/05 03:15 PM (12 years, 4 days ago)

Here's something that's always amused me. Society has deemed certain styles of dress more "appropriate" than others for certain occasions. We have to "dress up" for work or for funerals and weddings and other special occasions. Who exactly made these rules, and why do we continue to follow them aside from tradition?

The big one that makes me laugh is the idea of "professionalism." We must wear "professional" attire to work. But a plumber's professional attire is very different from the stock broker's professional attire. Why is a buttoned-shirt and tie the norm for office jobs? If one wears jeans and a t-shirt to an office job they're deemed "unprofessional," as if their attire somehow affects their ability to carry out their work. Who decided that "dress" clothing looks better than "casual" clothing anyway? Who the hell cares what we wear at any one time? This has to be the most ridiculous ego game I've ever seen.


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineDoom
Rogue

Registered: 11/23/04
Posts: 365
Loc: ghost-train city
Last seen: 11 years, 1 month
Re: clothing [Re: moog]
    #4450557 - 07/25/05 03:19 PM (12 years, 4 days ago)

*"unprofessional," as if their attire somehow affects their ability to carry out their work*

well. actually, it often does. Relaxed clothing makes for a relaxed attitude, while restrictive clothing puts oneself in a more controlled state-of-mind.

ego-game? so you think a soldier in sweat pants would be as effective as a soldier in uniform>?


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Registered: 04/08/04
Posts: 20,782
Re: clothing [Re: Doom]
    #4450567 - 07/25/05 03:22 PM (12 years, 4 days ago)

the oohs and awe's
count for something


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineWeAreAllOne
Opethian

Registered: 06/25/05
Posts: 2,649
Loc: Pennsylvania
Last seen: 11 years, 3 months
Re: clothing [Re: redgreenvines]
    #4450664 - 07/25/05 03:48 PM (12 years, 4 days ago)

i used to think about why people
dressed so formally for church
when Jesus supposedly wore rags

i doubt he cares what you're wearing.


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineOldWoodSpecter
waiting
Male

Registered: 02/01/05
Posts: 4,033
Loc: mountains and lakes
Last seen: 10 years, 9 months
Re: clothing [Re: moog]
    #4450825 - 07/25/05 04:17 PM (12 years, 4 days ago)

Quote:

moog said:
Here's something that's always amused me. Society has deemed certain styles of dress more "appropriate" than others for certain occasions. We have to "dress up" for work or for funerals and weddings and other special occasions. Who exactly made these rules, and why do we continue to follow them aside from tradition?

The big one that makes me laugh is the idea of "professionalism." We must wear "professional" attire to work. But a plumber's professional attire is very different from the stock broker's professional attire. Why is a buttoned-shirt and tie the norm for office jobs? If one wears jeans and a t-shirt to an office job they're deemed "unprofessional," as if their attire somehow affects their ability to carry out their work. Who decided that "dress" clothing looks better than "casual" clothing anyway? Who the hell cares what we wear at any one time? This has to be the most ridiculous ego game I've ever seen.




it is a form of communication..

from the times when you were a child you learn when you say "hello" that it sends positive messages, and when you say "fuck you" it sends negative messages, same is with clothing


--------------------
I descend upon your earth from the skies
I command your very souls you unbelievers
Bring before me what is mine


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineOldWoodSpecter
waiting
Male

Registered: 02/01/05
Posts: 4,033
Loc: mountains and lakes
Last seen: 10 years, 9 months
Re: clothing [Re: WeAreAllOne]
    #4450832 - 07/25/05 04:18 PM (12 years, 4 days ago)

Quote:

WeAreAllOne said:
i used to think about why people
dressed so formally for church
when Jesus supposedly wore rags

i doubt he cares what you're wearing.




I wish I could dress like those people in those days. It's so simple and practical.


--------------------
I descend upon your earth from the skies
I command your very souls you unbelievers
Bring before me what is mine


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleroby000
me
 User Gallery

Registered: 02/28/05
Posts: 9,189
Loc: nazi poland
Re: clothing [Re: OldWoodSpecter]
    #4450873 - 07/25/05 04:26 PM (12 years, 4 days ago)

i just wonder why the men dont wear hats anymore. like in the 20's


--------------------
 


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleroby000
me
 User Gallery

Registered: 02/28/05
Posts: 9,189
Loc: nazi poland
Re: clothing [Re: roby000]
    #4450877 - 07/25/05 04:27 PM (12 years, 4 days ago)

especially with prohibition going on right now and all...


--------------------
 


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblespud
I'm so fly.

Registered: 10/07/02
Posts: 44,410
Re: clothing [Re: moog]
    #4450897 - 07/25/05 04:31 PM (12 years, 4 days ago)

The suite is the imposition of the European way of life on America.


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblemoog
Stranger

Registered: 02/15/05
Posts: 1,296
Re: clothing [Re: Doom]
    #4451088 - 07/25/05 05:06 PM (12 years, 4 days ago)

"so you think a soldier in sweat pants would be as effective as a soldier in uniform>?"

well I did forget one thing.. some jobs require a certain type of clothing. Soldiers need protective clothing. Athletes need flexible clothing. But what I'm talking about is the form-over-function aspect of dress.


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinealsey
meet me in thedreamtimewater...

Registered: 02/17/05
Posts: 1,203
Last seen: 8 years, 3 months
Re: clothing [Re: moog]
    #4451299 - 07/25/05 05:46 PM (12 years, 4 days ago)

its tradition, nothing more.


--------------------
"Gently return to the simple physical sensation of the breath. Then do it again, and again, and again. Somewhere in this process, you will come face-to-face with the sudden and shocking realization that you are completely crazy. Your mind is a shrieking, gibbering madhouse on wheels." - ven. henepola gunaratana


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinealsey
meet me in thedreamtimewater...

Registered: 02/17/05
Posts: 1,203
Last seen: 8 years, 3 months
Re: clothing [Re: Doom]
    #4451308 - 07/25/05 05:48 PM (12 years, 4 days ago)

Quote:

Doom said:
Relaxed clothing makes for a relaxed attitude, while restrictive clothing puts oneself in a more controlled state-of-mind.




you can be relaxed and controlled at the same time.


--------------------
"Gently return to the simple physical sensation of the breath. Then do it again, and again, and again. Somewhere in this process, you will come face-to-face with the sudden and shocking realization that you are completely crazy. Your mind is a shrieking, gibbering madhouse on wheels." - ven. henepola gunaratana


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineBleaK
paradox
Registered: 06/24/02
Posts: 1,583
Last seen: 3 years, 7 months
Re: clothing [Re: alsey]
    #4453650 - 07/26/05 02:34 AM (12 years, 3 days ago)

*ehem* status symbols.


--------------------
"You cannot trust in law, unless you can trust in people. If you can trust in people, you don't need law." -J. Mumma


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleDoctorJ
Stranger
 Arcade Champion: Frogger

Registered: 06/30/03
Posts: 8,451
Loc: space
Re: clothing [Re: moog]
    #4453702 - 07/26/05 02:43 AM (12 years, 3 days ago)

Quote:

moog said:
Here's something that's always amused me. Society has deemed certain styles of dress more "appropriate" than others for certain occasions. We have to "dress up" for work or for funerals and weddings and other special occasions. Who exactly made these rules, and why do we continue to follow them aside from tradition?

The big one that makes me laugh is the idea of "professionalism." We must wear "professional" attire to work. But a plumber's professional attire is very different from the stock broker's professional attire. Why is a buttoned-shirt and tie the norm for office jobs? If one wears jeans and a t-shirt to an office job they're deemed "unprofessional," as if their attire somehow affects their ability to carry out their work. Who decided that "dress" clothing looks better than "casual" clothing anyway? Who the hell cares what we wear at any one time? This has to be the most ridiculous ego game I've ever seen.




Let me tell you one thing, man. I'd like to go back in time and torture the man who invented the business suit with red hot pokers. That thing is the most uncomfortable, uneccesary, utterly useless peice of shit outfit I've ever had the extreme displeasure to wear. Whoever decided that in order to have a decent paying job you have to wear one of those is a sadistic fuck and I sincerely hope thaat a special torture chamber is reserved for him in Hell.

but seriously, I really do hope that my generation does away with the whole tradition of wearing suits. Its just fucking pointless. I think dockers and a polo shirt look just as 'professional' and they're about a million times more comfortable.


--------------------
peace, pot, and microdot!


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Registered: 04/08/04
Posts: 20,782
Re: clothing [Re: DoctorJ]
    #4454394 - 07/26/05 07:22 AM (12 years, 3 days ago)

I wish it were more acceptible to wear a blazer everywhere -you get
pockets for eveything, and people question your passage less.
blazers feel better than sweaters and sweathirts and serve a simmilar function.


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineGrav
 User Gallery

Registered: 02/06/02
Posts: 4,454
Last seen: 4 years, 6 months
Re: clothing [Re: redgreenvines]
    #4454837 - 07/26/05 11:15 AM (12 years, 3 days ago)

visual symbols are interesting.

ive been playing basketball lately and notice i can walk around anywheres and not draw any 'suspiscion' to myself. people see an adolescent male on the street and "what's he up to?" might be in the back of their minds... but if you got a basketball then your a good ol' american boy, a straight-shooter.

i like wearing nice bright clothes as well, clothes that make people and co-workers around me feel comfortable. and then it feels much better on those rainy days when i dont care and just want to dress like crap.

you can immerse yourself into the river of mores and find less resistence. worrying about "selling out" or "conforming" is just a reflection of your own insecurity.

if the clothes are physically restricting and not necessary to the function, they should be abandoned immediately.


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinealsey
meet me in thedreamtimewater...

Registered: 02/17/05
Posts: 1,203
Last seen: 8 years, 3 months
Re: clothing [Re: redgreenvines]
    #4454992 - 07/26/05 12:14 PM (12 years, 3 days ago)

yeah man, blazers rock.


--------------------
"Gently return to the simple physical sensation of the breath. Then do it again, and again, and again. Somewhere in this process, you will come face-to-face with the sudden and shocking realization that you are completely crazy. Your mind is a shrieking, gibbering madhouse on wheels." - ven. henepola gunaratana


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Why Do Old People Dress Well?
( 1 2 3 4 all )
appleorange 3,246 62 08/28/15 07:28 PM
by FryersQuest
* Can you attribute change in dress to the rapid change in morals over the past century? moog 896 12 10/17/08 11:21 AM
by WhiskeyClone
* Christian Women and Fancy Dress OrgoneConclusion 757 9 07/02/08 09:35 AM
by backfromthedead
* Spiritual Clothes
( 1 2 all )
Swami 1,809 25 09/07/03 02:34 PM
by lucid
* Sheeps in wolves clothing. leery11 889 18 06/14/06 12:10 PM
by BlueCoyote
* There are many wolfs who hide in sheep's clothing. Gomp 608 8 07/15/08 02:55 PM
by Mr. Mushrooms
* cross-dressing regarded w/ religious reverence?
( 1 2 3 all )
MJF 3,251 41 08/30/05 06:46 PM
by MJF
* clothing and nature thedudenj 393 6 02/25/09 05:26 PM
by Icelander

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Middleman, CosmicJoke, Jokeshopbeard, DividedQuantum
824 topic views. 1 members, 3 guests and 14 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Toggle Favorite | Print Topic | Stats ]
Search this thread:
Edabea
Please support our sponsors.

Copyright 1997-2017 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.042 seconds spending 0.007 seconds on 19 queries.