Home | Community | Message Board

Gaiana.nl
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> The Pub

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Phish

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleOneMoreRobot3021
Male

Loc: the sky
Cities
    #4450423 - 07/25/05 02:19 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Cities are amazing things! Think of how easy it is to take a city for granted. An humongous network of hives and corridors all linked up to ensure survival (in a certain sense, while letting the rabble fight it out amongst themselves to a certain extent). Think of the fact that anyone anywhere can turn a faucet and get water in a city, or turn on a light and suddenly receive it. Magic is piped to us and we are charged for it, a small monthly fee. Con Edison is the Jesus of our day. Let there be light.

There are so many different cities. With different personalities. And every city is always ready to welcome one more member, and like that we are all still nomads. We can lift ourselves out of one delicate web, uproot ourselves and move into another one and settle in, find our niche.

I feel like my city is an integral part of who I am. My city defines so much of who I am. I know I want to move elsewhere at times, but I feel that my city will always be my home more than any certain house or apartment or anything. Once I'm here, I'm home. But I want to live elsewhere - Tokyo, San Francisco, Buenos Aires, Christchurch NZ. Eventually..

What are your dream cities? The cities that you know you could be so much a part of, even if you've never been there. For me the #1 city like that is Tokyo. I've been to Paris a few times and it felt like home each time, and I know it pretty well, but I feel like Tokyo is the home I've never been to. One day!

Think of London, a small city

It's dark, dark in the daytime
The people sleep, sleep in the daytime
If they want to, if they want to

I'm checking them out
I'm checking them out
I got it figured out
I got it figured out
There's good points and bad points
Find a city
Find myself a city to live in.

There are a lot of rich people in Birmingham
A lot of ghosts in a lot of houses
Look over there!...A dry ice factory
A good place to get some thinking done

Down el Paso way things get pretty spread out
People got no idea where in the world they are
They go up north and come back south
Still got no idea where in the world they are.
Did I forget to mention, to mention Memphis
Home of Elvis and the ancient greeks
Do I smell? I smell home cooking
It's only the river, it's only the river.

--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleHELLA_TIGHT
Madge the Smoking Vag
Female User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Afghanistan Flag
Re: Cities [Re: OneMoreRobot3021]
    #4450451 - 07/25/05 02:27 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

SF is my favorite place ever, I'd love to live there but it's way to expensive for me.

--------------------

Male

Re: Cities [Re: HELLA_TIGHT]
    #4450456 - 07/25/05 02:28 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

I've never been there but I feel like I'd loooove it.

--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

InvisibleHELLA_TIGHT
Madge the Smoking Vag
Female User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Afghanistan Flag
    #4450471 - 07/25/05 02:32 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

I think you'd be a giant fan of the castro district!

--------------------

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
    #4450473 - 07/25/05 02:33 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

I'd have to agree with you on Tokyo, it seems so crazy and multicolored, yet all these weird subcultures (and some of them are really funky distortions of like, punk and rockabilly or whatever, that lose some of their original meaning, but gain a whole new one with the language crossover). Tokyo would be wild.

Sometimes I see pictures of another crazy huge city in China that I've never heard of, covered in a layer of skyscrapers.

If you go to the forums at skyscrapercity.com and look through the pictures, you'll find there are a lot more cities out there than you ever imagined, and a lot of them are huge.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

InvisibleToolTroll
tourettic
Male User Gallery

Loc: N. Cack
    #4450476 - 07/25/05 02:33 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Yeah, but you live in a great city, very well-planned and dense and diverse... just what a city should be. But take Atlanta, for instance, downtown ATL is a ghost town with no sense of community, everything is so spread out that everyone is isolated in their cars. Sure you can still get water from the tap, but you can get that in rural areas too. I think it takes some planning, zoning and infrastructure to make a good city. So Tokyo probably is a great city.

--------------------
"This whole idea that different is bad, that a change in consciousness is in itself harmful, is really one of the fundamental problems inherent in the drug war.” - Rick Doblin
my cactus collection
You vote with your dollars. Everyday. Vote responsibly.

Invisiblewapwap
Pictish TexasStyle...

#4450498 - 07/25/05 02:42 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

**looks for the cd
:smile:

--------------------
Well I'm the mighty Bonecrusher, now don't you get saucy with me
I got no concept of tenderness, I know that's hard for you to believe,.
some call me Gair...

Invisiblemantis
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bunker Alpha, GMC Flag
Re: Cities [Re: ToolTroll]
    #4450502 - 07/25/05 02:42 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

How's the public transportation situation in Atlanta? Is it as marvelous as Chicago's? :grin:

--------------------

InvisibleKrishna
कृष्ण,LOL
 User Gallery

Loc: oakland
Re: Cities [Re: mantis]
    #4450580 - 07/25/05 03:26 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

dammit i was going to post those song lyrics!

(hehe you're going to call me a blasphemer, robot, but i just recently found out that that song was originally by the heads... i always just assumed it was a phish tune :wink: )

but, on topic...

my favourite city is definitely k?benhavn (or copenhagen, to those who insist on changing proper nouns!). other than kbh, i've spent a lot of time in paris (wonderful, amazing place - but i wouldn't want to live there for any length of time because it is a bit too stressful, and reminds me too much of my ex), london (again, a great place to visit - but too stressful and 'cold' for me), gothenburg (beautiful place, but too posh and small), oslo (too many junkies - too damn expensive), bergen (a quaint amazing little town - would be fun to go to university there, but must suck to live there all your life), ?rhus (where i live now... eh, it's great if you know the right people and the right places, but is definitely 'too cozy' if you know what i mean), berlin (i'd love to live there sometime, if only i could speak german!), st tropez (haha maybe if i was a multi-millionaire i could dig it :wink: ), amsterdam (too touristy for me), chicago (a very cool city - but i really need to go back when i'm 21!), LA (crap. my definition of 'how you shouldn't build a city), bangalore (whoaaaa chaos!), and a lot more places from when i was too young to remember/didn't pick up any big impression.

i'd really love to live in san fran some day, as well as sao paulo. we shall see...

--------------------

Male

Re: Cities [Re: Krishna]
    #4450618 - 07/25/05 03:35 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Bangalore must have been wiiiild! What'd you do there?

--------------------

-Erik Davis

InvisibleKrishna
कृष्ण,LOL
 User Gallery

#4450628 - 07/25/05 03:39 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

it is my dad's hometown, and his parents (along with literally shit-tons of family) all live there... actually i was very young at the time, but unlike most places i went to when young, i have very many vivid memories of the place still. been meaning to plan a trip again (really want to spend some more time with my grandparents before they pass on), but have kept postponing it for one reason or another... will hopefully make it in the spring next year.

oh, and of course, NYC is a place that i want to check out. :wink:

--------------------

InvisibleKrishna
कृष्ण,LOL
 User Gallery

#4450637 - 07/25/05 03:42 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

one thing, though... i don't really like skyscrapers. they freak me out, and make me dizzy when i look up at them. for that reason, ?rhus rocks - while it is denmark's second biggest city, it has this 'old-town' style to it...

--------------------

Male

#4450643 - 07/25/05 03:45 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

In my area in NYC the sky isn't too badly scraped, you'd dig.

--------------------

-Erik Davis

InvisibleCaptainH13
Scum
 User Gallery

Re: Cities [Re: mantis]
    #4450651 - 07/25/05 03:46 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

mantis said:
How's the public transportation situation in Atlanta? Is it as marvelous as Chicago's? :grin:

it sucks,there's Marta and that about it....

driving there SUCKS ass too,everybodu switches lanes at 90mph at random..and ,,uhggg....i hate having to go downtown....

HATE....

:grin:

--------------------

InvisibleTYL3R
Male User Gallery

Loc: Chico Flag
    #4450652 - 07/25/05 03:46 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Mod, you are ?

InvisibleKrishna
कृष्ण,LOL
 User Gallery

#4450659 - 07/25/05 03:47 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

you're staying in the same neighborhood, yeah?

hehe when my dad first moved to the US in the 70s he lived in brooklyn for a year or so - i can really imagine this confused indian man stumbling around looking for places that served vegetarian food, and not understanding that those women whistling at him were hookers. :lol:

--------------------

InvisibleCaptainH13
Scum
 User Gallery

Re: Cities [Re: TYL3R]
    #4450660 - 07/25/05 03:48 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

:yoda:,are you?....

--------------------

Invisiblewapwap
Pictish TexasStyle...

#4450663 - 07/25/05 03:48 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

I have a second family that lives in Sao Paulo...the traffic jams are forever there
Could you imagine living in a city that has this many people in it?
the city's population stood at 9,839,436and in 1996 it was estimated that 16.8 million people lived in the metropolitan area. The population of S?o Paulo is a diverse mix of ethnic groups.

Sao Paulos population is probably at least 20 million+ right now
Its a great place to visit and has shitloads of naked women everywhere
I damn shure wouldnt wanna live there for any extended time period

--------------------
Well I'm the mighty Bonecrusher, now don't you get saucy with me
I got no concept of tenderness, I know that's hard for you to believe,.
some call me Gair...

Male

#4450668 - 07/25/05 03:49 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

:lol:  Yeah I'm moving 10 blocks away to an even quiet, smaller area of the Lower East Side. It's super-chill.

--------------------

-Erik Davis

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #4450680 - 07/25/05 03:52 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Cities (at least the one I live in) make me sad. There are so many people, but it seems like they're all doing their own thing. That sucks since I don't know anyone here. The worst part of being lonely in the city is how damn ironic it is. So many people, yet no one to interact with.

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop for: Phish

Community >> The Pub