Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Rolling Papers

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1

Loc: Flag
Executives who inhale [NY]
    #4449850 - 07/25/05 11:24 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Executives who inhale
July 25, 2005 - newyorkbusiness.com

Some New York executives unwind in the evening with a glass of wine. Others go out for a beer. And some take the edge off in a way they rarely discuss with their colleagues. Particularly in the summer, when children are at camp, these Gothamites are kicking back in a fashion reminiscent of their college days. "When my son's away, I keep my bong and my bag out on the dining room table," says Jim, co-owner of a furniture manufacturing company, who, like every other pot smoker interviewed in this article, asked not to be identified. "It makes me feel young again.

Despite the ongoing war on drugs and the stigma surrounding any illegal activity, a certain portion of the New York business community never turned in its rolling papers. For many of these otherwise law-abiding citizens, taking a few tokes of their favorite illicit substance is simply their preferred way to decompress. Though they might conceal their after-hours smoking from their co-workers, they insist that, used in moderation, the evil weed doesn't have to hurt job performance.

"It's an asset to the conceptualizing part of the business," Jim says. "It's a liability to the implementation part."

Among New York professionals, smokers tend to be discreet, even when children aren't in the picture. There's too much to lose from being typecast as a stoner. After all, Cheech and Chong--the pothead comedians of the 1970s--weren't exactly known for productivity.

"It's not something I would discuss with clients, even if they brought the subject up," says Sam, who has his own architecture firm. "And I only smoke with close friends."

Most popular

But statistics suggest that some of those clients are probably indulging as well. According to the 2003 National Survey on Drug Use and Health, conducted by the Department of Health and Human Services, 97 million Americans have smoked marijuana at least once, and it is the most widely used illicit drug in the United States.

In the marijuana underground, New York has a reputation not only for widespread use but for the buying habits of its upscale users. City dwellers fork over as much as $600 an ounce for top-quality product, while dealers brag about selling strains grown from winners of the Amsterdam Cannabis Cup.

The city is also famous for its efficient delivery services.

"It's the only place in the country where you can get cannabis delivered, uptown and downtown, faster than pizza or Chinese food," says Allen St. Pierre, the executive director of NORML, the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws, based in Washington.

New York is also known for strict enforcement of laws against marijuana. Under the Giuliani administration, marijuana-related arrests peaked in 2000 at about 74,000; about 90% of those busts were for possession.

Arrests for grass have dropped by more than half under Mayor Michael Bloomberg, to about 34,000 last year--a number that still makes the city among the national leaders in marijuana arrests per capita, according to NORML.

Though there is disagreement about government policy, even critics of the laws warn that heavy pot use can stunt ambition and accomplishment, as well as destroy personal relationships.

Growing use

"Marijuana is the most difficult drug to get people to give up, because it allows them to keep functioning," says Andrew Park, a Manhattan psychotherapist who specializes in addiction. "You can't see the damage to a person's life that you would if they were smoking crack or shooting dope."

But neither the law nor the dangers of abuse have dampened the nation's appetite for cannabis: the government's survey recorded 15 million current users in 2003, compared with 10 million in 1995.

"Alcohol dulls everything," says Abe, a litigator at a Manhattan law firm who says he would rather toke than imbibe. "Pot sharpens certain things, like creativity."

Marijuana is also the one illicit substance that appears to enjoy widespread appeal across social and economic lines.

"Lawyers, accountants, actors, cooks ... I deal with people across the board," says Jason, who has been selling marijuana full time in New York since 1996. "From people living in hellholes who can't really afford it, to people whose secretaries I have to talk to before I can talk to them."

But longtime aficionados find that, just like the sports they played in college, the drug is something they can no longer partake of as often as they did when they were young.

"The lifestyle changed when I had kids," says Bill, who manages a short-term apartment complex in midtown Manhattan and smokes only on those rare occasions when his children are not around. "Yet I still have a roach, wrapped in aluminum foil, in the back of my sock drawer."

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator

Re: Executives who inhale [NY] [Re: veggie]
    #4449999 - 07/25/05 12:14 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Awesome. I've read that the CEO of Progressive Auto Insurance, one of the largest auto insurance companies, tokes as well. He was busted in Australia I think with bud and hash at the airport.

Lets say that those 15 million tokers in 2003 consumed an average of a gram a week. If it were legal, and taxed lets say 10%:

$10 a gram X 52 weeks = $520 X %10 = $52 X 15 million = $780,000,000 in taxes alone!

Lets say at legalized prices an ounce cost $80. Tax on that would be $8. If my state's share of that 15 million (300,000) bought an ounce every two months:
$8 in taxes X 6 = $48 in taxes per person per year
$48 X 300,000 = $14,400,000!!!
I know my state could use an extra $14 mil a year!

Texan CubeFarmer
Loc: Tx.
Re: Executives who inhale [NY] [Re: DNKYD]
    #4450074 - 07/25/05 12:40 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Shit i live in texas and it seems that everyone smoke bud down here.I know my state could use that money.

Original Shroomer
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Michigan Flag
Re: Executives who inhale [NY] [Re: Spencyspence28]
    #4450289 - 07/25/05 01:41 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

"heavy pot use can stunt ambition and accomplishment, as well as destroy personal relationships."

Mr. I Eat Butthole
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Wang
Re: Executives who inhale [NY] [Re: Fungi_x]
    #4452578 - 07/25/05 10:58 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

same here on the treasure coast, EVERYONE i know tokes. even old people, you never can tell who tokes.

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." 
~Thomas Jefferson

A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.
~George Washington

User Gallery

Loc: Pongyang, North Korea
Re: Executives who inhale [NY] [Re: LeftyBurnz]
    #4453836 - 07/26/05 03:28 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

"97 million Americans have smoked marijuana at least once, and it is the most widely used illicit drug in the US"
i would like to point out that last i checked... the united states population is around 250 million, maiking 1/3 of it previous tokers...

"in times of widespread chaos and confusion, it has been the duty of more advanced human beings - artists, scientists, clowns, and philosophers - to create order. In such times as ours however, when there is too much order, too much m management, too much programming and control, it becomes the duty of superior men and women and women to fling their favorite monkey wrenches into the machinery. To relieve the repression of the human spirit, they must sow doubt and disruption"

"People do it every day, they talk to themselves ... they see themselves as they'd like to be, they don't have the courage you have, to just run with it."

Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Executives who inhale [NY] [Re: DNKYD]
    #4454685 - 07/26/05 10:20 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

> I know my state could use an extra $14 mil a year!

That is simply a drop in a bucket... don't forget to factor in the following savings:

1) Add aprox $30,000 per year per prisoner serving time for non-violent drug charges. Also add in the extra tax money made from these people being productive members of society.

2) Add however much tax money goes to the DEA, ONCDP, and any other DARE like programs each year.

3) Add however much money goes to the court system to prosecute people for non-violent drug charges.

4) Add however much money goes to the police to enforce non-violent drug laws.

5) ... etc ...

Just another spore in the wind.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Rolling Papers

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service