Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineRedNucleus
Causal Observer
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Seahorse Valley
I thought up an effective, quick, and easy way to meditate for beginners.
    #4443026 - 07/23/05 12:34 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quick version:
1. Focus and hear a certain tone in your mind's ear. Don't let it stop playing in your head.
2. After 60, 90, or 120 seconds, go to the next note in a major scale.
Note: don't whistle or even breathe in tune with the note that you are mentally hearing. That's cheating.

Long version:
I layed on my bed to meditate yesterday. It's something that I'm trying to do more and more. I usually try to focus on something when I meditate, so that I can be sure I'm not just vegging. Here's what I came up with yesterday.

Simply hear "in your mind's ear," a tone. Call the tone do (do re mi), and hear it clearly in your mind. Keep it going. Then, after a set amount of time (60, 90, or 120 secs, for example), go up to the next note in a major scale and hear that in your mind. Try to hold the tone without going off pitch (sharp or flat). Try to make the tone as strong, loud, and clear as possible. Really hear it in your mind. Don't let it stop!

Important: Don't hum. Don't try to make the whistling of your breathing match the pitch you are focusing on. That's cheating! Your physical ears should not be receiving any information to help you hold this pitch and keep it in your mind. This is a mental exercise, so keep it to your mind only!

This meditation is good for beginners like me, because it is quick, (one minute a note is only 8 minutes long. 2 minutes/note is a mere 16 minute meditation). Also, it gives your mind a bit of a challenge. You are trying to synthesize a tone and hear it even though it's not playing. I don't mean to be verbose but I don't have an audio version for the word "visualize," but that is what I am trying to say. This whole thing does not require much thought, really. The thought is simple: Hold note, keep pitch, keep strength of tone and clarity. The challenge lies in the fact that you have to extend this simple thought process and sustain it over the period of time that you are meditating. Too much background thinking will probably make the note you are hearing fade out. So, to conclude, thinking of and hearing a tone while meditating is helpful for a number of reasons.

One last thing to help you. When I had mental chatter in the background while I was doing this yesterday, I shifted its pitch to match my note, so then they were in unison. To explain, lets pretend that a the word "pineapple" was repeating in my head, for who knows what reason. I would then mentally sing the word pinapple at the same tone that I was focusing on, so that it was not as distracting, and I could slowly ease it out of my "mind's ear" until I just heard the tone once again.

OK try it!

--------------------
Namaste

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
Re: I thought up an effective, quick, and easy way to meditate for beginners. [Re: RedNucleus]
    #4443061 - 07/23/05 12:48 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

cool

also try the candle meditation

light flame. be flame. nothing but the flame.
and breathing

--------------------

OfflineRedNucleus
Causal Observer
Male User Gallery

Re: I thought up an effective, quick, and easy way to meditate for beginners. [Re: Shroomism]
    #4443064 - 07/23/05 12:50 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks bud

--------------------
Namaste

InvisibleKrishna
कृष्ण,LOL
 User Gallery

Loc: oakland
Re: I thought up an effective, quick, and easy way to meditate for beginners. [Re: RedNucleus]
    #4443153 - 07/23/05 01:18 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

just a quick cut and paste from an S&P post i made a while ago,

Quote:

one 'trick' that i can pass on will really help you figure out what it is to concentrate on your breathing - close one nostril with a finger, and breath very deeply and slowly in through the other nostril - feel the breath as it goes in, and try to pinpoint the feeling of it entering the one nostril, and then merging as the nasal cavity opens. then switch nostrils, and breath out through the other one, just as slowly. then breath in through this one, the same way. switch, breath out, breath in, switch breath out breath in, etc etc etc... after some time you'll be able to really notice the difference in feeling from breathing in the left as opposed to the right, and vice versa - as well, doing this will 'force' you to concentrate on your breathing more. do this excercise a bit.

--------------------

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
    #4443155 - 07/23/05 01:18 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Now you have a new niche product. Write the book, make a million. And then hire people to do the meditating for you, while you chill with the beatiful babes on your island. :thumbup:

This sounds interesting. I may give it a try. :heart:

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

InvisibleSociety
Mmmm... pizza
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: I thought up an effective, quick, and easy way to meditate for beginners. [Re: Icelander]
    #4448121 - 07/24/05 07:32 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks for this. I'm going to try to a combo of singing the notes while becoming the flame and concentrating on my breathing.

--------------------
Delicious Pizza

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
    #4448924 - 07/24/05 11:13 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

we invented a new meditation :laugh:

--------------------

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
Re: I thought up an effective, quick, and easy way to meditate for beginners. [Re: Shroomism]
    #4449768 - 07/25/05 08:31 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Good job! :thumbup: :heart:

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Offlinelardnar
Pu Pu Platter
Male

Loc: Behind what appears
Re: I thought up an effective, quick, and easy way to meditate for beginners. [Re: Icelander]
    #4449874 - 07/25/05 09:31 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

thanks bro, I love to meditate but i've never done it sitting or with my eyes closed, that kind of thing. I love to sit in a chair in my forest and open my mind :smile:

I will def try it out, thanks I've wanted to

--------------------
If your soul is sence this life is lost ...

OfflineRedNucleus
Causal Observer
Male User Gallery

Re: I thought up an effective, quick, and easy way to meditate for beginners. [Re: Krishna]
    #4450638 - 07/25/05 01:43 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah, I read that when you posted it in S&P, and I thought that it was a great technique. It's refined concentration on your breathing, which is something you want to concentrate on anyways, so that's good stuff. Thanks for reposting that. I forgot about it.

--------------------
Namaste

Jump to top Pages: 1