Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineBrAiN
Art Fag
 User Gallery
Loc: Chocolate City
I've lost respect for CNN
    #4447748 - 07/24/05 06:06 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

It became obvious to me during the election that CNN was extremely biased when the day OF the election, the top story of the day was how Bush had photoshopped a few extra people in the crowd in a photo of him speaking to soldiers.

Then one of the headlines a week ago is something about how marines use jokes and humor to pass the time in Iraq. Uhhh.. ok...

Now I see this. They're criticizing the u.s. for using a quote to describe the latest bombins as too similar to a quote they used to decribe a bombing two weeks ago:
http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/meast/07/24/military.release/index.html

Oh man... Bush using photoshop to touch up a campaign photo and the u.s. military isn't using unique-enough quotes to describe each terrorist attack. Wow. CNN sure is on the breaking edge of all the latest news. I tip my hat to them.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: I've lost respect for CNN [Re: BrAiN]
    #4447824 - 07/24/05 06:26 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

:lol:

They must really need a big news story.

InvisibleLeftyBurnz
Mr. I Eat Butthole
Male User Gallery

Loc: FL
Re: I've lost respect for CNN [Re: Redstorm]
    #4448552 - 07/24/05 09:22 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

its seems to me that lately all the news channels are getting really shitty...... i cant find a good one that i can stand to watch.

--------------------

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Loc: Mod not God Flag
Re: I've lost respect for CNN [Re: LeftyBurnz]
    #4448913 - 07/24/05 11:10 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Photoshop played a BUG roll in the election for BOTH campaigns...

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

Invisible1stimer
Religion=Rape
Loc: Amerika
Re: I've lost respect for CNN [Re: Rose]
    #4448970 - 07/24/05 11:21 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

BUG roll

:goatse: :werd:

--------------------
ash dingy donker mo gollyhopper patty popiton rockstop bueno mayo riggedy jig bobber johnathan pattywhacker gogboob t-shirt monkey.

There is such emotion in the distortion.

OfflineBrAiN
Art Fag
 User Gallery
Re: I've lost respect for CNN [Re: 1stimer]
    #4449167 - 07/25/05 12:22 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

You're right. I can't find a descent news sourec anywhere. I don't trust fox nwes as it is mostly editorial, although I think O'Reilly is pretty fuckin' funny. I don't trust CNN. I don't trust any gov't run/funded news outlet such as the BBC or the CBC.

This is part of the reason I want to become a photojournalist. Half because I want to help the world, and half because I want to see the world for myself.

InvisibleCaptainH13
Scum
 User Gallery

#4449672 - 07/25/05 06:04 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

i watch C-span.....just because i hate the others more....

the Washington journal is hilarious,,,they guy hangs up on people all the time....

--------------------

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
    #4449796 - 07/25/05 08:50 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Looking at the story about the quotation, it seems that the story made itself when the military edited their own statements to change the wording.

You can't really pull out small stories and act like they've got a huge meaning about the nature of the network. Browse through the CNN site, you'll find lots of much smaller stories.

I don't really see the logic in not trusting a news source simply because it runs of government funding. The policy of the BBC and CBC is to remain independant of the government, and I don't see any evidence that they are biased in favor of their government's positions.

It's pretty naive to even assume you're supposed to be getting a single reliable news source. If you feel that one source is taking too many shots at a certain position, that is fair, make sure you're getting news from other sources as well, but don't use this as an excuse to brush off all their criticism. Just because CNN spends more time attacking Bush than sucking his dick doesn't mean they aren't going to get a few things right.

No matter how opposed to Bush CNN is, they're still whores to big money and have a huge pro-business bias.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

OfflineBrAiN
Art Fag
 User Gallery
Re: I've lost respect for CNN [Re: Phluck]
    #4449810 - 07/25/05 09:03 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Phluck said:
Looking at the story about the quotation, it seems that the story made itself when the military edited their own statements to change the wording.

You can't really pull out small stories and act like they've got a huge meaning about the nature of the network. Browse through the CNN site, you'll find lots of much smaller stories.

I don't really see the logic in not trusting a news source simply because it runs of government funding. The policy of the BBC and CBC is to remain independant of the government, and I don't see any evidence that they are biased in favor of their government's positions.

It's pretty naive to even assume you're supposed to be getting a single reliable news source. If you feel that one source is taking too many shots at a certain position, that is fair, make sure you're getting news from other sources as well, but don't use this as an excuse to brush off all their criticism. Just because CNN spends more time attacking Bush than sucking his dick doesn't mean they aren't going to get a few things right.

No matter how opposed to Bush CNN is, they're still whores to big money and have a huge pro-business bias.

Well for one thing, they have a near monopoly on the news for that country and...

CBC and BBC run off of gov't funds don't they? I don't trust a station where the gov't has the ability to regulate how much money goes into it. They could pull a Rudolph Guliana (i.e. "I don't like this piece of art you're showing, so we're going to cut your funding, effectively shutting you down").

OfflineSmallworlds
Trippin' fool -Merry Prankster

#4449818 - 07/25/05 09:07 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

So the military is making up all of their Iraqi citizen "quotations". It figures, it's all bullshit.

--------------------
Through the excercise of patience, one may learn humility..

Smoke plenty of green, and eat fungus!!!!
:peace::heart::slomo::gd_icon::gd_icon::gd_icon::slomo:

Trip Report

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

#4449828 - 07/25/05 09:14 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Well for one thing, they have a near monopoly on the news for that country and...

They do? Have you ever even been to Canada?

The CBC has no printed media, so they're outdone by the Globe and Mail, the National Post, and any local papers, as well as Maclean's magazine. On TV they're up against CTV, Global, and CHUM for news (although I think CHUM is the only other one with a 24-hour news channel).

Quote:

CBC and BBC run off of gov't funds don't they? I don't trust a station where the gov't has the ability to regulate how much money goes into it. They could pull a Rudolph Guliana (i.e. "I don't like this piece of art you're showing, so we're going to cut your funding, effectively shutting you down").

Well, thanks for your concern, but I don't see any evidence of anything like that ever happening. The Canadian government has a habit of funding really weird and controversial art through the NFB, the Arts Council, and promoting it through the CBC. Considering the volume, and the strange eclectic mix I've seen, I have a feeling that there are rules in place about not allowing politicians to have any control over what they put out.

Do you have any examples of the government exerting control on the news through the CBC? Or the BBC for that matter?

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson

OfflineBrAiN
Art Fag
 User Gallery
    #4452198 - 07/25/05 07:19 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I'm just saying I don't trust news from a public source because the gov't has too much of an ability to intervene. Just because it hasn't happened yet to our knowledge doesn't mean that it won't. People always tend to kiss the asses of those they get their checks from, ya know? I trust gov't funded media outlets just as much as I trust those run my large corporations.

There are way too many examples of this kind of problem in America. Take a look at the most recent copy of the Rolling Stone. There's a piece on how PBS is under attack by the conservatives. Check it out. It's called "Muzzling the Muppets". It's got some great quotes from those in charge of public programming. The thing is, only 0.00001% of America is ever going to know that it's going on.

Here's the link:

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/sto...sion=6.0.12.872

Sorry, no disrespect meant for you smelly ice sculpting, yack mounting canucks :wink: , but I'm just warning you. Public media, art, etc are always under fire by ignoramuses in power in America. I just don't trust any source where the funding is determined by some beaurocratic federalist politician.

I suppose I'd trust the CBC more than most... seeing as how their gov't actually has demonstrated moer common sense and actual concern for the well being of their citizens than any other country in North America (e.g. Universal Health Care). I just remember all the smack that CBC was talking about Fox News when it was announced they'd be making their deput on Canadian television. Fox News may be slightly right-sided, but to keep things fair, the media needs all point of views delivered.

http://www.cbc.ca/fifth/letters.html

exerpt:
"I want to thank you very much for the excellent show covering the influence the American media is having on it's people. I have never watched Fox News before, but from the segments you aired it seems to be one of the most irresponsible and dangerous media programs I have ever seen. It disturbs me to know that Fox is comfortable with allowing "experts" like O'Reily and Coulter to spout off with no regard to the accuracy or effects of what they say, and I am shocked by their derogatory comments directed at Canada as well as the Globe and Mail reporter that was interviewed. I suppose I am missing Fox's ultimate goal, as the constant conflict and lack of respect must be what gives them great ratings, although it is very unfortuante anyone would consider this to be accurate news."
- Michael Rennie

This was in refence to a show that aired on the CBC: http://www.cbc.ca/fifth/sticksandstones.html

This 'sticks and stoned' show just happened to air at the same time that Fox News began broadcasting on Canadian television. What a coicidence.

The CBC was showing tiny tid bits of Fox news to the viewers of CBC to portray Fox News as evil as it possibly could. Just look at the first part of the above quote: " I have never watched Fox News before, but from the segments you aired it seems to be one of the most irresponsible and dangerous media programs I have ever seen. "

Summ'ed up this says "I've never seen Fox news, but they way you portrayed to to us, CBC, is that is this horrible evil entity they we've ever seen, even though again, we've never seen it, except for the tiny little clips you threw together. Oh thank *YOU*, CBC, for making up our minds for us so that we have an opinion without ever having to watch the programming ourselves. Making up our own minds would be just too much for us to handle. Thank you get helping us not think for ourselves'.

Again, I'm not a big fan of Fox News in that it is mostly editorial, but picking and choosing clips out of their context to scare the people of Canada from watching another station is pretty damn close to censorship in my opinion.

Although, the CBC does a good job of showing how crazy Ann Coulter really is. :smile:

Edited by BrAiN (07/25/05 07:59 PM)

Offlinecybrbeast
Up, then down, then...
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: event horizon
    #4452263 - 07/25/05 07:35 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

News here in Holland even the government funded news is starting to suck tons more than it already did. It's all infotainment now.
Like in every news story they'll ask a dumb random person on the street to comment. Who gives a shit? Clearly dumb people do, because this increases ratings.

Also instead of giving news on some horrible thing like Zimbabwe, Darfur or the Niger famine as a fill-up item, they'll show something totally random about something that doesn't really matter.
They just don't have the money/will/drive to go out there find world news and really give people info about what is going on.
If I watch news I prefer BBC World.

But I'm hoping this all will change with Independant World Television
Check it out
http://www.iwtnews.com/
I'm thinking about donating.

Quote:

Independent World Television is building the world?s first global independent news network. Online and on TV, IWTnews will deliver independent news and real debate from professional and citizen journalists -? without funding from governments, corporations or commercial advertising. Using the web to organize and raise funds across borders, IWTnews is building an international movement for democracy.

--------------------
futuretribe.space

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

#4452628 - 07/25/05 09:09 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

The whole thing about PBS being under attack has actually gotten lots of press up here. They had an hour long interview with some corporation for public broadcasting guy on CBC radio a few weeks ago. The attitude towards public broadcasting is a lot different up here, perhaps if the climate significantly changes such a threat might show up, but I haven't seen any hints of that before.

Just so you know, The Fifth Estate is a program that showcases various kinds of documentaries by all kinds of filmmakers, it's more of a place to show independant documentaries than an editorial from CBC news.

I remember the TV columnist in the Globe and Mail wrote a thing about Fox news, making fun of Bill O'Reilly. So Bill invited him on the show for a "debate". Keep in mind this is the guy who last week wrote an article attacking the Emmy's for not nominating Gabrielle Solis from Desperate Housewives. His his choice of opponent seems to have been based on how unlikely this guy was to pose any kind of threat. Bill O'Reilly may have been funny, but part of what makes him so funny is what a travesty he is.

--------------------

OfflineBrAiN
Art Fag
 User Gallery
    #4452758 - 07/25/05 09:41 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

True. He does tell it like it is sometimes which is why I like watching his show sometimes. But he does get high and mighty at times as well. What we see in that program though is random tidbits of him taken out fo context. He can be an asshole though. He's definately no Rush Limbaugh (aka fat ass hypocrate that needs to die) though, which is why I dig him.

But you see my point though, don't ya? It's well known that media giants are biased. I just think media giants that have more influence by gov't than by corporations can do more damage.

And I'm suprised that the PBS thing is getting so much coverage up there. Shit. This is America and we don't even fuckin' know what's going on in our own country.

InvisibleLeftyBurnz
Mr. I Eat Butthole
Male User Gallery

Loc: FL
    #4452821 - 07/25/05 09:59 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

its pretty crappy when you have to settle for the least crappy news station.

--------------------

OfflineBrAiN
Art Fag
 User Gallery
Re: I've lost respect for CNN [Re: LeftyBurnz]
    #4453488 - 07/26/05 12:01 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I don't even know what that is at this point

Offlineexclusive58
illegal alien

#4453636 - 07/26/05 12:32 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

i totally agree with you guys. i arrived in the US about a week ago, and i was amazed and pissed at the same time when i saw what kind of headlines there were.

i swear to god the news here are not news, they're a mix between entertainment, advertising, and a little bit of information.

seriously, i didn't watch TV often, and the first few days, on TWO different news channels, i saw a coverage of the differences between two mosquito repelants. wtf??

--------------------

OfflineFrankieJustTrypt
and fell

Loc: MI
    #4454783 - 07/26/05 08:47 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Wait, let me get this straight.. You had respect for CNN???

--------------------
If you want a free lunch, you need to learn how to eat good advice.

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

#4454831 - 07/26/05 09:13 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I just think media giants that have more influence by gov't than by corporations can do more damage.

I disagree. Corporate media has no rules laid out to maintain objectivity. Government funded media does, at least in places like Canada and the UK.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale