Home | Community | Message Board

Zamnesia.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Perlite, Ultrasonic Humidifier, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinevalantha
Still learning
Male User Gallery
Casing problem. Please help
    #4447235 - 07/24/05 05:35 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

:confused:On the 15th of July I started 5 casings. I put them each into an aluminum pie pan with came with plastic tops. I used vermiculite for the bottom casing and cow manure compost/vermiculite for the top.  That is 70/30.
On the 19th I cold shocked them for 6 hours in the refrigerator.

I put my 5 casings (which are in aluminum pie pans) into one of those types of plastic 3 drawer dressers you get from -mart. I took out the drawers and replaced them with chicken wire so that my casing would have a place to sit. I put Christmas light along the sides and bottom of where all of the drawers sat. I then taped about 6 trash bags together so that there was a top and four sides with two in the front. I then purchased a cool water humidifier and place this at the bottom of this with another trash bag on the floor underneath it to catch any water that fell. This was done on the 20th.
I was then worried that they may not be getting enough  humidity so I decided to place them into a  sterlite plastic bin. (while they were in the drawer set up I had not taken the plastic lids off of them so they did have humidity they just were not getting any fresh air.).  They colonized the top layer about  50% while they were in the drawer set up.
I paced them in the sterlite bin with moist perlite at the bottom and  cut out a large window in the top of the plastic lid that came with it and I taped saran wrap over it so that light would be able to get into it. I then place a florescent light over the top of it.

The three of the casings are 90% or above colonized, one of them is 60% colonized, and one is about 40% or so. I am doing 12 hours on and 12 hours off with the light. Fanning 3 times a day. And misting each time I fan.
Here are my questions.
1. Should I have put more soil (compost/vermiculite) on the top of my casings?
2. Should I have used some other means as a grow chamber?
3. How long will it be before I see pinning?
4. Did I do something wrong, like miss a step in the process?
I do not have any contamination as of yet which I am very happy about. I just want to make sure that I am doing everything correctly.

I have 12 pint jar that should be ready for casing in about 3 days. I am think about doing them in some kind of bulk form. The reason I have 12 other jars almost fully colonized is because, I just knew that I would lose the first 5 that I tried to contamination. I was thinking of putting these in a closet in my home after covering the floor, ceiling, door and walls of the closet in plastic. Then  placing the humidifier inside with the casings that I make.

Does anyone know of a good grow tek for a closet. It is a walk in closet. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
You guys have helped so much thus far.
All this was started on July 15th. I even tried the karo tek. Sucking myc up into a syringe is very interesting. It kept wrapping itself around the needle and if I would get some into the syringe it would somehow be pulled right back out. I ended up spending like 5 minutes breaking it up just to get it into the syringe. After all that hard work I ended up knocking up 10 more pint jars yesterday just to see how long it would take for them to colonize. Jars were pre-sterilized (pressure cooked) so, I really have 22 jars to do in the future. But, the 10 that I just did I am not worried about at the minute. Just wanted to say how nice and simple the karo tek is.

--------------------
Tomorrow is not promised to anyone! You should do everything that you want while you have the time as long as it is not against gods law.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblememes
Blessed

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: In a Tree
Re: Casing problem. Please help [Re: valantha]
    #4447382 - 07/24/05 06:17 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

a

Edited by memes (10/17/12 06:52 PM)

Offlinevalantha
Still learning
Male User Gallery
Re: Casing problem. Please help [Re: memes]
    #4449975 - 07/25/05 12:06 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I looked thru the usernames and didn't find a "scat". Could you post the closet tek. Please. :bondage:

--------------------
Tomorrow is not promised to anyone! You should do everything that you want while you have the time as long as it is not against gods law.

OfflineDoctor
Strangled
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #4450172 - 07/25/05 01:07 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

InvisibleFooManM
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Earth Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #4450185 - 07/25/05 01:12 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

valantha said:
I looked thru the usernames and didn't find a "scat". Could you post the closet tek. Please. :bondage:

Here is the post: http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/4024838/an/0/page/0

I think your problem may be too much humidity. When you use casings, you don't want 100% humidity because the casing already provides most of the humidity needed.

--------------------

Offlinevalantha
Still learning
Male User Gallery
Re: Casing problem. Please help [Re: FooMan]
    #4471873 - 07/30/05 12:43 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Thank you very much for the info.
I have added it to my favorites.
To bad I didn't see it until today though.
Maybe I can use it when I grow my edible mushrooms.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Perlite, Ultrasonic Humidifier, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation