Home | Community | Message Board

Crestline Sales - MycoPath
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisibleveggie

Colombia offers to buy coca crops from peasants
    #4447050 - 07/24/05 04:28 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Colombia offers to buy coca crops from peasants
July 24, 2005 - alertnet.org

BOGOTA, Colombia, July 24 (Reuters) - The Colombian government has offered to buy illegal drug crops from peasants in an effort to break the cocaine trade's stranglehold on violent rural areas.

"We are going to offer ... to pay peasants who have coca to bring in," President Alvaro Uribe, speaking in the town of Villavicencio, in steamy lowlands 40 miles (70 km) southeast of Bogota, said on Saturday.

Uribe did not say how much the government would pay farmers to get out of the coca business. Peasants currently can get about $800 for 2.2 pounds (1 kg) of coca paste, which is made from coca leaves, from Marxist guerrillas in some parts of the country.

The offer came as the government's massive, U.S.-funded program of spraying crops of coca, a leafy bush used to make cocaine, makes slow progress against the illegal trade.

U.S. satellite data earlier this year showed the size of the area planted with coca stayed stable throughout 2004, although it was still down a third from 2001 at the beginning of a $3 billion-plus anti-drug campaign funded by Washington.

The problem seems to be that peasants with few other ways of making a living are replanting as quickly as their crops are sprayed. Colombia's cocaine trade, the world's largest, also funds illegal armies fighting in the country's 41-year-old guerrilla war.

Uribe promised peasants handing in coca would be protected and their identities kept secret. Marxist rebels or far-right paramilitaries often kill growers who refuse to sell to them.

But the government's offer will not only have to overcome fear in order to work. Uribe said growers who sell to the government will have to promise not to plant more coca, which would force them to switch to less profitable crops.

Uribe did not say what the government would do with the coca it bought but it routinely burns seized narcotics.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibledblaney
Human Being

Loc: Here & Now
Re: Colombia offers to buy coca crops from peasants [Re: veggie]
    #4450013 - 07/25/05 12:19 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Hey! The government is thinking! Taking the profit out of crime is actually a really good idea i think

--------------------
"What is in us that turns a deaf ear to the cries of human suffering?"

"Belief is a beautiful armor
But makes for the heaviest sword"
- John Mayer

Making the noise "penicillin" is no substitute for actually taking penicillin.

"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismember or overthrow it." -Abraham Lincoln

InvisibleZippoZM
Knomadic
 User Gallery

Loc: Pongyang, North Korea
Re: Colombia offers to buy coca crops from peasants [Re: dblaney]
    #4453852 - 07/26/05 03:31 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

i highly doubt that the goverment iwll be able to compete with the priecs that are being offered by the cocane manufacturing cartels...

--------------------
PEACE

:mushroom2:zippoz:mushroom2:

"in times of widespread chaos and confusion, it has been the duty of more advanced human beings - artists, scientists, clowns, and philosophers - to create order. In such times as ours however, when there is too much order, too much m management, too much programming and control, it becomes the duty of superior men and women and women to fling their favorite monkey wrenches into the machinery. To relieve the repression of the human spirit, they must sow doubt and disruption"

"People do it every day, they talk to themselves ... they see themselves as they'd like to be, they don't have the courage you have, to just run with it."

OfflineDailyPot
Trip'n Time

Loc: Florida
Re: Colombia offers to buy coca crops from peasants [Re: ZippoZ]
    #4459646 - 07/27/05 12:13 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

zippoz said:
i highly doubt that the goverment iwll be able to compete with the priecs that are being offered by the cocane manufacturing cartels...

Yeah, but its still not a bad idea, it offers a different direction for the coca and cash to flow. But this could cause the value of coca to rise due to lack of supply which would end up strenghting the illegal market with increased violence money and power at steak.

And whats the real way to spell steak in this case?

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
Re: Colombia offers to buy coca crops from peasants [Re: veggie]
    #4459785 - 07/27/05 01:03 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I can't see this working. It's pure economics really; the peasants grow coca to get money, and the cocaine kingpins/ guerillas have a lot more money to blow on coca than the government does.

Not to mention, as it says in the article, what do the peasants do after they trade in the coca? Few crops, if any, would give them as much money as coca does, so why would they lose money for nothing?

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

InvisibleSuperD
Cacti junky
 User Gallery

Loc: The bridgesii bridge
Re: Colombia offers to buy coca crops from peasants [Re: Ravus]
    #4459956 - 07/27/05 02:18 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

<<And whats the real way to spell steak in this case?>>

stake

--------------------
:super:D
Manoa said:
I need to stop spending all my money on plants and take up a cheaper hobby, like heroin. :lol:

Looking for Rauhocereus riosaniensis seeds or live specimen(s), :pm: me if you have any for trade

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service