Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineJabbawaya

How to describe the psychedelic experience?
    #4444654 - 07/23/05 08:44 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I'm trying to describe what LSD and mushrooms are like to a curious friend who has never taken drugs before. Yet I'm not sure how to go about doing it. There are too many effects to name, and it's very difficult to describe what entheogens are like. I can describe personal experiences, but the person would really like to read about it. However, I can't really think of a book that would be most suitable for describing the experience itself (visuals, body effects, mental effects, etc).

Does anyone know of any book that could do a good job describing the psychedelic experience to someone who has never taken drugs? Obviously it's easier to show not tell, but this person would like to read about it first, which is totally understandable.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineLimelight
IntrepidTraveler
Male

Re: How to describe the psychedelic experience? [Re: Jabbawaya]
    #4444709 - 07/23/05 09:06 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

It's impossible :undecided: look at it this way, before you tried it, someone could have given all the most perfect explanations in the world, but you still wouldnt have felt that way without the drug. I think a better bet would be to tell them what good things can come out of it, and maybe tell them how to avoid bad situations (in case thats on their mind).

The closest feeling I have ever gotten in real life to a trip (maybe 5%, which is a lot for every day life compared to tripping), was when i was in a restaurant with this really cool girl. It was 3am, in a truck stop, and everything in the restaurant was so weird.. it was 'off' slightly. I think it had to do with the lighting which was very yellow, and the characters in the background. Everything fit perfectly, and it felt like we werein a movie.. very surreal. Anyway, tahts the overall feeling... imo (x1000000000 obviously)

I think some drugs give you a movie to watch when you arent thinking. In between thoughts, there is that 'silence.' in normal life, this silence isnt interesting, so we are almost always thinking. but with drugs, it can take info from all the senses to create an experience for you.. if you choose to think 'overtop' of that movie, then it can lead to bad trips i guess.. i suppose it goes along with 'living in the now' and 'letting go'

ok im rambinlg, sorry, im kind of faded :frown:

--------------------
"The worst mistake that you can make is to think you're alive when really you're asleep in life's waiting room."

OfflineJabbawaya

Re: How to describe the psychedelic experience? [Re: Limelight]
    #4444822 - 07/23/05 09:46 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Oh I agree. The experience is totally unlike anything else and words can only go so far to describe it. That's why I'm seeking assistance :smile:

I'll just do the best I can to describe from personal experience. As I'm sure we'll both agree, though, the best way to tell someone what it's like is to show them.

--------------------

OfflinePsilocyan
Humble Voyager
Male

Loc: Atlanta...USA
    #4444872 - 07/23/05 10:00 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Refer them to/share with them as much literature on the subject as you can. Make sure they do their homework, answer any questions you can, and just give them the same research and education tools you had before your first time.

Even though no amount of literature can prepare you for the experience itself, a well informed voyager is should be able to handle his/herself.

Anyway, just me talking.

--------------------
I :heart: Psilocybe weilii...:mushroomgrow:

"I think of going to the grave without ever having a psychedelic experience like going to the grave without ever having sex."
-McKenna

Offlinepeeper
Even stranger
Female User Gallery

Loc: Tennessee
    #4444947 - 07/23/05 10:21 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I'm tripping now and I strongly agree with limelight

OfflineLimelight
IntrepidTraveler
Male

Re: How to describe the psychedelic experience? [Re: peeper]
    #4444957 - 07/23/05 10:26 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

peeper said:

:mushroom2: :sun:

--------------------
"The worst mistake that you can make is to think you're alive when really you're asleep in life's waiting room."

InvisibleFreedomFight
Strange

#4445089 - 07/23/05 11:04 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I tell my inexperienced friends that it is like you just woke up from a weird-ass dream and your confused as all hell... for about 5 hours.

--------------------
I do not grow anything illegal.
I do not sell anything.
I am, however, a very curious individual.
I also try to be helpful.

OfflineMeThoD
MeThoD

Re: How to describe the psychedelic experience? [Re: peeper]
    #4445120 - 07/23/05 11:11 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

peeper said:

Ahha... very consise(sp?).

I am not tripping, but I also agree.

--------------------
Every empty bowl must be filled, and a full bowl must always be emptied.

InvisibleStickyWater
Stranger
Re: How to describe the psychedelic experience? [Re: MeThoD]
    #4445199 - 07/23/05 11:30 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Edited by StickyWater (05/03/08 12:15 AM)

OfflineRamuh
Finder of thesubbs

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
Re: How to describe the psychedelic experience? [Re: StickyWater]
    #4445294 - 07/23/05 11:57 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

How can you describe seeing to a blind man?

You simply cannot. Words and communication are created on the assumption that the interpretor has experience with the said word, and how it feels. You can give words to any feeling that one can imagine. On that note, I hearby declare the word for how I am feeling as fudrid. Its like a mixture between feeling X and Y...except really, its not like any other feeling there is.

Really...you can give it any name you want to...explain it however you want, but it is truely different than any other feeling, and thusly cannot be explained.

--------------------
Radio is down for a day or two to transfer all my music, and do some other work.

"Light, coming from my mind. We are one, the night has just begun"

OfflineJon
Re: How to describe the psychedelic experience? [Re: Ramuh]
    #4445349 - 07/24/05 12:23 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Those experiences really are indescribable. Yet trying to explain it in a way someone might understand but not how exactly the experienced individual perceived is nothing more than a word having a definition. You can describe a trip simply by scribbling a pen on a piece of paper for the heck of it. Whatever reminds me of my trip usually defines it. Id reccomend the Archaic Revival by McKenna for reading.

Invisiblesoochi
Chef
 User Gallery

Loc: The Richest County
    #4446402 - 07/24/05 10:15 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

go to the experiencing mushroom FAQ on this site. Under "physical effects of mushrooms." Pretty accurate. :grin:

--------------------
Wee, sleeket, cowran, tim'rous beastie,
O, what panic's in thy breastie!
Thou need na start awa sae hasty,
Wi' bickering brattle!

Invisiblemecreateme
YoUisMEEMsiUoY
Male User Gallery

Loc: Memphrica
    #4446728 - 07/24/05 12:22 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

The closest feeling I have ever gotten in real life to a trip (maybe 5%, which is a lot for every day life compared to tripping)

Your real life is a trip. The trip is your real life. No 95% of it missing. It is not a lot for every day life compared to tripping. Look at the way you compare, that will show you even more true comparisons of your life to tripping, and they are intimately connected. Tripping is about your life and how you live it. :sun:

--------------------
No ONE wants to know the ultimate TRUTH, as soon as YOU find IT out, YOU want to forget IT.

You are everything's way of feeling itself.

Happy Schwag, everygodly!

OfflineLysergic_Milkman
Dr. Fist
Male

Loc: ATL
Re: How to describe the psychedelic experience? [Re: mecreateme]
    #4447432 - 07/24/05 04:30 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

HELLOOO!!! why hasnt anyone suggested this yet?

www.erowid.org

jeez, thats the first thing id say if someone wanted resources on any kind of drug!

Erowid is THE BEST resource for drugs [in general], and has everything your friend could possibly want to read about concerning shrooms.

Peace!  :thumbup:  :mushroom2:

Offlinemushiemountain
i am the sacredone
Re: How to describe the psychedelic experience? [Re: Lysergic_Milkman]
    #4449353 - 07/25/05 01:25 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

a psychedelic experience is always undescribable. when people ask me what it's like, i just tell them they have to see for themselves if they think they're ready enough.

--------------------
I Ain't No Fool. Mama Didn't Raise No Fool.
----------primussucks

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder