Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineprimatephreak
Mycologist

Loc: The Orwellian State
Grey mold contamination
    #4446342 - 07/24/05 09:43 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Sup everyone, first time mycological scientist and first post here :P

I seem to have a little problem. Out of one spoor syringe, I ended up with all of the inoculants contaminated with a grey mold. If anyone knows what this mold is exactly I'd appreciate the heads up. I also dont know why this keeps happening, my strongest guess is that the jars I am using are not being sterylized long enough. I used my oven to sterlyize them, I do not know if this is ok, is it? I also clean all of my work and work area with %50 Isopropyl alcohol, including myself.
If anyone has first hand sterility and contamination experiance, I'd love to read your advice. Thanks, peace...

--------------------
Peace.
Infinite love is the only truth, everything else is illusion.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineHotnuts
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Wild Blue Yawnder
Re: Grey mold contamination [Re: primatephreak]
    #4446361 - 07/24/05 09:48 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Is the mold (most likely an Asperilligus strain) appearing at the inoculation points? Ovens aren't for sterilizing jars. A spaghetti pot of steaming water for 90 minutes is better for floured substrates as brown rice flour exc.

Offlineprimatephreak
Mycologist

Re: Grey mold contamination [Re: Hotnuts]
    #4446367 - 07/24/05 09:52 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Welp, it shows up at the top of the medium, which obviously means that the contaminates where in there before sterylization and made it out alive, or that they came in afterwards from the top. I'll defiantly use a pot with steaming water next time! But does anyone have a better method for inoculating the jars? I dont like punching ugly holes in the lids and putting tap over them.

--------------------
Peace.

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Grey mold contamination [Re: primatephreak]
    #4446374 - 07/24/05 09:55 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

primatephreak said:
contaminated with a grey mold. If anyone knows what this mold is exactly I'd appreciate the heads up

if it's stringy, it's cobweb.

ovens really arent suitable for sterilization, they'll dry out your substrate before anythign is sterile

OfflineHotnuts
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Wild Blue Yawnder
Re: Grey mold contamination [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #4446385 - 07/24/05 10:03 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Holes are the easiest way to do it, unless you've got a flowhood or gloovebox. But even then, you'll need a hole for a filter. With PF jars, 4 holes in the lid is the best.

Cobweb is grey as well. It looks just like its title. A cobweb looking mold that looks similar to mushroom mycelium if you're not familiar with it. Bummer no matter what the mold I suppose.

Offlineprimatephreak
Mycologist

#4446395 - 07/24/05 10:09 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks, I'll post pics of the next inoculation within the week. I am going to try the double tub with water and a fish tank heater next. I really like this method. Right now I have a fish tank with a plexiglass partition slanted at an angle and a plexiglass top cover. I dont really like it much, a bit of a fuss to get in there and no extra heat for incubation. Oh hey, do you guys keep the heater on after incubation as well? I'd imagine so in order to keep the temperature at a fair level. What are you favorite terraniums made out of? Anyone have preferences?

--------------------
Peace.

OfflineWronguy
Trusted Cultivator
    #4446404 - 07/24/05 10:16 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Obviously you need to change your sterilization methods. Before you inoculate, always spray the air surrounding your work area with some form of anti-bacterial solution, preferably Lysol. Do not spray the jars directly though. Wait 5-10 minutes and make sure the room is draft free.

Just before you stick the needle in the holes, wipe down the lid with some alcohol and always swab the needle before going onto the next jar. When the jar is inoculated, immediately cover with 2 coffee filters for an additional layer of protection.

Having a routine like this should give you enough protection to avoid contaminates during the spore germination phase of the grow.

Good luck.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom