Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OnlineLearyfan
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
*Flashback* Bush asks Daschle to limit Sept. 11 probes
    #4446297 - 07/24/05 11:06 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

All conspiracy theories aside, please help me understand why in the world George W. Bush would ask Tom Daschle to limit 9/11 probes. Doesn't it seem strange that Bush would be concerned about this? What did he have to hide?

This article is from 2002. Check it out............

CNN.com

Quote:

Bush asks Daschle to limit Sept. 11 probes
January 29, 2002 Posted: 9:26 PM EST (0226 GMT)

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- President Bush personally asked Senate Majority Leader Tom Daschle Tuesday to limit the congressional investigation into the events of September 11, congressional and White House sources told CNN.

The request was made at a private meeting with congressional leaders Tuesday morning. Sources said Bush initiated the conversation.

He asked that only the House and Senate intelligence committees look into the potential breakdowns among federal agencies that could have allowed the terrorist attacks to occur, rather than a broader inquiry that some lawmakers have proposed, the sources said

Tuesday's discussion followed a rare call to Daschle from Vice President Dick Cheney last Friday to make the same request.

"The vice president expressed the concern that a review of what happened on September 11 would take resources and personnel away from the effort in the war on terrorism," Daschle told reporters.

But, Daschle said, he has not agreed to limit the investigation.

"I acknowledged that concern, and it is for that reason that the Intelligence Committee is going to begin this effort, trying to limit the scope and the overall review of what happened," said Daschle, D-South Dakota.

"But clearly, I think the American people are entitled to know what happened and why," he said.

Cheney met last week in the Capitol with the chairmen of the House and Senate intelligence committees and, according to a spokesman for Senate Intelligence Chairman Bob Graham, D-Florida, "agreed to cooperate with their effort."

The heads of both intelligence committees have been meeting to map out a way to hold a bipartisan House-Senate investigation and hearings.

They were discussing how the inquiry would proceed, including what would be made public, what would remain classified, and how broad the probe would be.

Graham's spokesman said the committees will review intelligence matters only.

"How ill prepared were we and why? We are looking towards the possibility of addressing systemic problems through legislation," said spokesman Paul Anderson.

Some Democrats, such as Sens. Joseph Lieberman of Connecticut and Robert Torricelli of New Jersey, have been calling for a broad inquiry looking at various federal government agencies beyond the intelligence community.

"We do not meet our responsibilities to the American people if we do not take an honest look at the federal government and all of its agencies and let the country know what went wrong," Torricelli said.

"The best assurance that there's not another terrorist attack on the United States is not simply to hire more federal agents or spend more money. It's to take an honest look at what went wrong. Who or what failed? There's an explanation owed to the American people," he said.

Although the president and vice president told Daschle they were worried a wide-reaching inquiry could distract from the government's war on terrorism, privately Democrats questioned why the White House feared a broader investigation to determine possible culpability.

"We will take a look at the allocation of resources. Ten thousand federal agents -- where were they? How many assets were used, and what signals were missed?" a Democratic senator told CNN.

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month: The Loose Enz - The Black Door

Edited by Learyfan (07/24/05 11:11 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisible1stimer
Religion=Rape
Loc: Amerika
Re: *Flashback* Bush asks Daschle to limit Sept. 11 probes [Re: Learyfan]
    #4446494 - 07/24/05 01:04 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Bush has something to hide.

--------------------
ash dingy donker mo gollyhopper patty popiton rockstop bueno mayo riggedy jig bobber johnathan pattywhacker gogboob t-shirt monkey.

There is such emotion in the distortion.

InvisibleKrishna
कृष्ण,LOL
 User Gallery

Loc: oakland
Re: *Flashback* Bush asks Daschle to limit Sept. 11 probes [Re: 1stimer]
    #4446547 - 07/24/05 01:21 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

i guess their official response would be, "a review of what happened on September 11 would take resources and personnel away from the effort in the war on terrorism."

my interpretation of this is, "we've got something to hide."

--------------------

OnlineLearyfan
Male User Gallery

Re: *Flashback* Bush asks Daschle to limit Sept. 11 probes [Re: Krishna]
    #4446623 - 07/24/05 01:45 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I don't see how anyone could look at this situation as well as the situation where Bush had to be dragged kicking and screaming to talk with the 9/11 Commission (he ended up bringing Cheney with him  :confused:) and not think Bush is acting very, very shady for some reason.

--------------------

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Loc: Mod not God Flag
    #4447168 - 07/24/05 05:17 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

SAUDI ARABIA

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

OfflineSycronica
Seeker
Loc: Inside my head
Re: *Flashback* Bush asks Daschle to limit Sept. 11 probes [Re: Rose]
    #4447482 - 07/24/05 06:47 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Bush has ALOT to hide. If we could only peak into the classified files there would be revolt.

--------------------
Think for yourself. Question authority.

Forgiveness is the ultimate sacrifice.

You can fool some people sometimes, but you can't fool all the people all the time.

OnlineLearyfan
Male User Gallery

Re: *Flashback* Bush asks Daschle to limit Sept. 11 probes [Re: Sycronica]
    #4447674 - 07/24/05 07:48 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Cervantes said:
SAUDI ARABIA

That's definitely one reason.

Quote:

Sycronica said:
Bush has ALOT to hide. If we could only peak into the classified files there would be revolt.

It would be total anarchy for a while.

--------------------

OfflineJ4S0N
human
 User Gallery

#4447705 - 07/24/05 07:55 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Its also why they shipped all the steel from the towers away to china to be melted down before any independent researches could see it. They have something to hide for sure, they won't let anyone do a real investigation. We're supposed to believe the tale that was told to us, even though it doesn't make sense.

--------------------
"The Central Intelligence Agency owns everyone of any significance in the major media." ~ William Colby, Former Director, CIA

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
    #4450375 - 07/25/05 02:05 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

"The vice president expressed the concern that a review of what happened on September 11 would take resources and personnel away from the effort in the war on terrorism," Daschle told reporters.

It's about publicity more than anything else. You don't want to have a lot of criticism directed at your government when you're going to be heading for reelection shortly.

Just because you're trying to keep the focus on your own publicity campaign does not necessarily mean you're hiding something, especially in marketing, media, and politics.

However, if it does mean he's hiding something, assuming that it means he's hiding the conspiracy that some people have invented themselves is ridiculous.

Could it not mean that he's hiding the fact that they didn't expend enough effort trying to increase security, and not that he orchestrated the whole thing himself?

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

OfflineRonoS
DSYSB since '01
Male User Gallery

Loc: Calgary, Alberta
Re: *Flashback* Bush asks Daschle to limit Sept. 11 probes [Re: Phluck]
    #4450387 - 07/25/05 02:10 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Could it not mean that he's hiding the fact that they didn't expend enough effort trying to increase security, and not that he orchestrated the whole thing himself?

I don't think ANYONE believes that Bush orchestrated ANYTHING by himself...the man is just too stupid.

--------------------
"Life has never been weird enough for my liking"

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Re: *Flashback* Bush asks Daschle to limit Sept. 11 probes [Re: Rono]
    #4450430 - 07/25/05 02:21 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Calling Bush stupid just doesn't jive with the facts.

http://www.rotten.com/library/bio/presidents/george-w-bush/

Quote:

As a young man, George discovered that he was perfectly suited to the "good old boy" network. He was funny, outgoing, and enjoyed socializing. He was good at telling jokes, and he had a knack for remembering people's names. So when he got to Yale, Bush joined Delta Kappa Epsilon, an Animal House-style fraternity known for hard partying. In time he became DKE's president. He was also inducted into the secret society Skull and Bones, following in the footsteps of both his father (Yale class of '48) and grandfather (class of '17).

Bush had been admitted with an SAT score of 1206 (566 verbal, 640 math) which was low for Yale but perfectly respectable anywhere else. This would correlate to an approximate I.Q. of 129. In fact, a 1300 on the SAT would have been sufficient to join MENSA. So 1206 is a far cry from stupid.

And in the debates, Bush tried his best to come off sounding smart and serious. He made references to complicated economic policies. Difficult as it may be to believe now, many voters in the 1978 campaign were turned off by George W. Bush's overt intelligence. They figured him for some kind of brainiac.

He learned from that. He was smart enough to realize that the american public don't want a president that's smarter than them, they want a guy they can relate to, so he created that character, and won the election.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

OfflineRonoS
DSYSB since '01
Male User Gallery

#4450447 - 07/25/05 02:26 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Calling Bush Stupid jives perfectly with the facts...

world stupidity awards     :smirk:

"They never stop thinking of ways of harming America, and neither do we."

--------------------

Invisibleusefulidiot
It's notfascist, it's...Neoconservative!

#4450613 - 07/25/05 03:34 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Phluck said:However, if it does mean he's hiding something, assuming that it means he's hiding the conspiracy that some people have invented themselves is ridiculous.

Would you please explain what it is that is so outrageous about a person seriously considering the possibility that members of this administration and their high level affilliates just might have orchestrated these events for the purpose of swaying public opinion into accepting their new policies and actively justifying the pumping of more resources into increasing security in the society?

I am just curious.

InvisibleKrishna
कृष्ण,LOL
 User Gallery

Loc: oakland
    #4451516 - 07/25/05 06:25 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Rono said:
Calling Bush Stupid jives perfectly with the facts...

world stupidity awards     :smirk:

"They never stop thinking of ways of harming America, and neither do we."

there is a difference between stupidity and just not being eloquent.

personally, i don't know if bush is stupid or not - i'd half bet it is a character that he plays (at least to some extent) because karl rove or whomever says "hey man, you'll win over all the hicks!"

and, it worked!

--------------------

OfflineRonoS
DSYSB since '01
Male User Gallery

Re: *Flashback* Bush asks Daschle to limit Sept. 11 probes [Re: Krishna]
    #4451630 - 07/25/05 06:44 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I see...so Americans prefer to vote for someone that comes across as a moron as opposed to voting for someone that presents himself in an intelligent manner. (Not that I've seen any recent candidates that fit that description)

Sweet jesus...that certainly explains alot.

--------------------

OnlineLearyfan
Male User Gallery

#4452376 - 07/25/05 10:04 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Phluck said:

It's about publicity more than anything else. You don't want to have a lot of criticism directed at your government when you're going to be heading for reelection shortly.

Just because you're trying to keep the focus on your own publicity campaign does not necessarily mean you're hiding something, especially in marketing, media, and politics.

However, if it does mean he's hiding something, assuming that it means he's hiding the conspiracy that some people have invented themselves is ridiculous.

So it's acceptable to you that they're not cooperating with the investigation of this horrible tragedy if they're doing it to help themselves politically? There is not one legitimate excuse for their non-cooperation.

Quote:

Phluck said:
Calling Bush stupid just doesn't jive with the facts.

http://www.rotten.com/library/bio/presidents/george-w-bush/

Quote:

As a young man, George discovered that he was perfectly suited to the "good old boy" network. He was funny, outgoing, and enjoyed socializing. He was good at telling jokes, and he had a knack for remembering people's names. So when he got to Yale, Bush joined Delta Kappa Epsilon, an Animal House-style fraternity known for hard partying. In time he became DKE's president. He was also inducted into the secret society Skull and Bones, following in the footsteps of both his father (Yale class of '48) and grandfather (class of '17).

Bush had been admitted with an SAT score of 1206 (566 verbal, 640 math) which was low for Yale but perfectly respectable anywhere else. This would correlate to an approximate I.Q. of 129. In fact, a 1300 on the SAT would have been sufficient to join MENSA. So 1206 is a far cry from stupid.

And in the debates, Bush tried his best to come off sounding smart and serious. He made references to complicated economic policies. Difficult as it may be to believe now, many voters in the 1978 campaign were turned off by George W. Bush's overt intelligence. They figured him for some kind of brainiac.

He learned from that. He was smart enough to realize that the american public don't want a president that's smarter than them, they want a guy they can relate to, so he created that character, and won the election.

If Bush is as smart as you think he is, then he is a genius. He is extremely convincing with his stupid act. Dude, I'm not the smartest guy in the world, but I know what a guy who isn't that bright looks like when he speaks. Bush's speeches consist of a hand full of buzz words that he drops whenever he can't think of anything to say. Some of the things he says and doesn't say speak volumes about his intelligence.

--------------------

OnlineLearyfan
Male User Gallery

#4452392 - 07/25/05 10:11 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Rono said:
I see...so Americans prefer to vote for someone that comes across as a moron as opposed to voting for someone that presents himself in an intelligent manner. (Not that I've seen any recent candidates that fit that description)

Sweet jesus...that certainly explains alot.

We like to vote for guys who are "one of us". George Bush is a guy you could hang out and have a beer with. If he's cool enough to shoot the shit about the playoffs with us then he's qualified to have his finger on the button.

He's definitely one of us. Who's father wasn't head of the CIA, Vice President and President?

--------------------

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
    #4452419 - 07/25/05 10:18 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

If Bush is as smart as you think he is, then he is a genius. He is extremely convincing with his stupid act. Dude, I'm not the smartest guy in the world, but I know what a guy who isn't that bright looks like when he speaks. Bush's speeches consist of a hand full of buzz words that he drops whenever he can't think of anything to say. Some of the things he says and doesn't say speak volumes about his intelligence.

So he cheated on his SAT test?

There are many people posting here who proclaim themselves intelligent and in fact appear to me to be intelligent, yet their spelling, capitalization, punctuation and grammar leave much to be desired. They suck at communicating through the written word. I have met many other intelligent people who suck at communicating verbally.

Bush is not a stupid man. He's certainly not the communicator Reagan was, but that doesn't mean he's stupid. It just means he's not a great communicator.

Phred

--------------------

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
    #4452430 - 07/25/05 10:21 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Who's father wasn't head of the CIA, Vice President and President?

That's "Whose father wasn't head of the CIA, Vice President and President?"

Phred

--------------------

OnlineLearyfan
Male User Gallery

#4452717 - 07/25/05 11:29 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Learyfan said:
Dude, I'm not the smartest guy in the world

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

General Interest >> Political Discussion