Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineTheLegend
Stranger
Help possible contamination (check forum cant see anything like it)
    #4446283 - 07/24/05 10:48 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Hi, ive done one grow before of B+ and Golden Teacher ... everything went well... one got contam but i know why.

But this time im doing B+, GT, Pf classic .... and doing about 15 cakes and about 12 of them have this kinda pink / orange tint to the white growth ... now before i over reacted to blue brusing of the cake so i hope this is the same thing but im worried. But the myclium (cant spell to save my life) is still growing like mad! and the colour difference is never at the edges or uncolonized parts its only in the middle of the white stuff so im thinking maybe its just the cake contracting and lifting from the walls but this didnt happen last time

Its hard to see but i tried taking photos during day and night

Oh the wierd white stuff on this pic is the sticker off the jar :smile:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineBetaDelta
Stranger
Male
Re: Help possible contamination (check forum cant see anything like it) [Re: TheLegend]
    #4446691 - 07/24/05 02:07 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

First thought is contam. Mycelium can, can, keep growing if the jar is contaminated so that's not a sign either way. I'd say do what I always tell people. Put them aside, isolated from the other jars, and wait, even though that looks pretty late stages in some.
Take care

OfflineChickenNugget
Pet Peave

Re: Help possible contamination (check forum cant see anything like it) [Re: BetaDelta]
    #4448381 - 07/24/05 10:41 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

looks fine to me. i see that alot also on my jars. i think its because the mycelium is thin.

--------------------
"It's not a war on drugs, it's a war on personal freedom"
-Tool - Third Eye

OfflineTheLegend
Stranger
Re: Help possible contamination (check forum cant see anything like it) [Re: ChickenNugget]
    #4449717 - 07/25/05 09:36 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

It would be easier to issolate the non pinky ones :smile: theres 3 of them out of about 15 ... and the 3 that arnt pinky are experiments im doing with air exchange. heres a pick of one with a half inch hole in the top STUFFED with polyfill (filter wool) Its flying through colonisation and its not shrinking.

All the pink ones have shrunk away from the side of the jars . Which is making me think maybe the pink thing is cause of too little air exchange... or maybe its the brand of aliminium foil ive used is causeing the discolouration.

If when there fully colonised there still pinky should i try to birth them and see if they turn a lovely healthy white ? and what if they stay pinky and produce healthy looking mushrooms what should i do then?

On one or two of the jars theres really healthy white mycelium that seems to be taking over the pinky one, like its growing over it

Offlinepagan333
Seeker
 User Gallery

Re: Help possible contamination (check forum cant see anything like it) [Re: TheLegend]
    #4453825 - 07/26/05 03:25 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I have a similar problem to this what was the outcome of it all? :scaryshroom:

--------------------

OfflineTheLegend
Stranger
Re: Help possible contamination (check forum cant see anything like it) [Re: pagan333]
    #4454443 - 07/26/05 08:13 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

the outcome has still to be discovered :smile: its only 2-3 days since i posted so im going to wait till it fully colonises and then birth it away from my other cakes and if it turns fully bright white then ill let it grow but if it stays pink i think ill put em in the garden

It seems to be happening to alot recently so im guessing it happened to alot in the past so id love to get some feedback from them people.

Offlinefrock
    #4460656 - 07/27/05 05:45 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I have this EXACT same problem every so often and havent figured it out either. For a while I was thinking it was some sort of bacterial contamination that would show up every so often but Im starting to go against that. They would also fruit just fine for the most part.

My current batch of about 40 jars all have this to a small degree. The only thing different during this grow is that I used Tap Water in my syringes. My last few grows have used bottled spring water in my
syringes and they were perfectly white.

Im also using an incubator this run which I normally dont. Maybe its just dying mycelium from excessive heat.

If anyone figures this out let me know.

Offlinepagan333
Seeker
 User Gallery

Re: Help possible contamination (check forum cant see anything like it) [Re: frock]
    #4460795 - 07/27/05 06:29 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I have 10 Jars in my batch and most have these hardly at all if any, however the 2 jars that are very close to being birthed are the worst. So tomorrow I will be birthing those separately and see what happens. :scaryshroom:

--------------------

OfflineTheLegend
Stranger
Re: Help possible contamination (check forum cant see anything like it) [Re: pagan333]
    #4463616 - 07/28/05 08:46 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

The strange thing is last time i used tap water and they were perfectly white and in this grow i used bottled water :smile: but i used the cheap version so you could be right about the water. What water did you use in your PF mix?

And yes im using an incubator but the strange thing is the jar that i have the polyfill top on is perfectly white, no pink what so ever, and i experimented with coffie filter top (bad idea it gets soaked and theres actually mycelium growing on the filter haha) but thats white aswell. All the rest are pinky

So Frock you have birthed these and ate the mushies with no bother? No chocking or gagging or death :smile:

We need to get some of the experts like roadkill or hippie chick or professor agar onto this forum to enlighten us :smile:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum