Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
Religious Experience
    #4445348 - 07/24/05 12:22 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Has anyone here ever had a bonifide religious experience only to later realize that the whole experience was deluded garbage with little intrinsic worth and "wrong" in some way? Drug based and reality based experiences all wanted post them here. This thread may die quickly...oh well...One more thing....post the filthy details as well.

Edited by Huehuecoyotl (07/24/05 12:25 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: Religious Experience [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #4445367 - 07/24/05 12:29 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Does "doing" a Catholic girl count?

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Invisibleniteowl
GrandPaw
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
    #4445381 - 07/24/05 12:32 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I can't think of any religious experience.

Does realizing the fallacy of organized religion count?

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: Religious Experience [Re: niteowl]
    #4445386 - 07/24/05 12:34 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Your avatar keeps offering me a doob and when I reach for it, he pulls back.  :stoned: WTF?

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Re: Religious Experience [Re: Swami]
    #4445393 - 07/24/05 12:37 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I am disapointed in you Swami...I suspected skeletons in your closet for sure.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

#4445398 - 07/24/05 12:39 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Based on what? Sure, post your influences so we know where you are coming from.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

Invisibleniteowl
GrandPaw
Male User Gallery

#4445401 - 07/24/05 12:40 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I can't help it.....I'm a joint HOG :wink:

Invisibleniteowl
GrandPaw
Male User Gallery

#4445436 - 07/24/05 12:53 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I was raised in a Christian church, never got into it much tho. Went every Sunday with my parents, till around 9-10 then we stopped going as much.
I would ask questions of my parents about stories that I didn't understand. I never got a coherent reply. just a regurgitation of the same story. I never thought that the Bible made much sense. (couldn't tell my parents that tho)

When I graduated HS, I joined the Army. I met LOTS of different people with just as many different religious backgrounds.
I realized one day,(with a chill up my back) that it("God"?) didn't really care what religion you were as long as you treated people with respect.

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you...was really the only rule you needed to live your life by.

I felt like a load had been lifted.
I felt lighter, like gravity didn't have as large an effect as it did before.

It was my first step towards enlightenment.

I have never claimed any religion, since.

--------------------
Live for the moment you are in now
Don't be bogged down by your past
Don't be afraid of what lies in your future

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

#4445508 - 07/24/05 01:14 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

"I realized one day,(with a chill up my back) that it("God"?) didn't really care what religion you were as long as you treated people with respect."

Very cool. Your core religious belief is a true center for life to grow from. The Army opened up life for me as well. That was where I learned compassion for those less fortunate and racial equality as a truth.

--------------------

Invisibleniteowl
GrandPaw
Male User Gallery

#4445574 - 07/24/05 01:40 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

The only part the Army played in my spiritual growth was by putting me around different types of people.

Me and Uncle Sam...........didn't get along too well.

OfflineLittleBen
Feed Me A StrayCat

#4445586 - 07/24/05 01:43 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Carmalita Scarfoney??

--------------------
Gaia, as you awaken, I heal myself. As I awaken, you are healed.

OfflineDeviate
Re: Religious Experience [Re: LittleBen]
    #4445599 - 07/24/05 01:45 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

no, all my religious experiences have had one thing in common, the merging of the knower and the known.

Edited by Deviate (07/24/05 01:46 AM)

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

#4445612 - 07/24/05 01:49 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I will tell of the first of my religious experiences. It was drug induced as I took 6 hits of LSD. I was 20 years old. Soon after I experienced what many call "ego death" I had what others here would call an out of body experience....I was on drugs so a really good hallucination may account for this. I was having a conversation at the time and was distinctly aware of being in two places at once. In my body talking...and 50 foot straight up looking at the landscape from above. I remember that this was at dawn and it was foggy...in the early sun (from the above vantage point) that the fog glowed blue in response to the blue sky and rising sun. I realized at that time that I was one small part of an big machine. I was no more significant than the proverbial blade of grass, but I was also very important as all things are equally important. The Earth is a colony based organism with many parts of which I was one. This realization holds up under all scrutiny as far as I can examine it....so it has withstood the test of time.

--------------------

InvisibleSinbad
Living TheMoment
Male

Loc: Under The Bodhi Tree
    #4445790 - 07/24/05 02:51 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

niteowl said:

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you...was really the only rule you needed to live your life by.

Damn, lets hope a bunch of twisted masochistic freaks dont take this statement literally and start doing unto others, as they would have others do unto themselves. :lol: :bondage:

--------------------

OfflineBlueCoyote
Beyond
Male User Gallery

Loc: Between
    #4445868 - 07/24/05 03:16 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I did have the classical 'messiach-syndrome'.
That came, as I was about 20, too, after loosing my girl, the divorce of my parents, the lost of my (parents)home (had to move to a flat), the lost of my job, and a heavy birthday-party for a friend, I celebrated in my flat.
Also before, I took some acid, but at this party, acid, shrooms, shit and alcohol came together and it was quite a great party.
A girls passed the night with me, but I was emotionally blocked from the lost of my girlfriend (which, I later did knew, was managed from an 'friend' of mine).
The morning after the party was somehow the beginning of the crisis. I didn't know what really changed, but something changed deeply. I got very depressed.
At the evening, I wanted to visit my mom, who lived with a priest, as his aid in a cathedral-like church on the top of a small mountain in the middelst of our city. It was autumn and the wind was howling and the sky gray. Suddenly I began to hear voices in the wind. I must say, that I ever am and was a skeptic to the human civilization, as they tend to destroy nature, what is a holy thing for me. At this evening, the voices in the wind pleaded for their life, and offered to make it all better. It really was like the voices of all humans, at the end of days, when it comes to the point, where their sins were shown. The pleaded, they cried and screamed and I felt how full of despair these once so proud people were. It sounded to me, that they pleaded to me !
That gave me the overthrill. I began to see the thing very different and all kind of synchronicities started, especially with colors, people or television, where I was the controller of live-broadcasts [later perhaps more] :smile:
It was like all the sins and grief and pain of the humans accumulated upon me and I went into the cathedral and began to pray and cry for the people.
As I got home, I got out the bible, especially the apocalypse and started the TV. There the major synchronizies began.
I suddenly understood all of what Jesus said, I could see the personality of every disciple and I realized, that something similar is happening to me.
The next day, a friend, who I did not know for so long visited me and I realized him as the true Jesus, as he is the real good person, and he talked like him. I was not the very good person, but I now, did know everything about 'god' and his plans. So I came to the conclusion that I was some kind of John the Baptist, the same time John the disciple and then again John the Evangelist, too. I 'saw' the holy spirit come down to my friend, just like as John baptized Jesus at the river and everything was filled in a shiny glow and peaceful mood. That was so wonderful. I told him everything and he was so full of compassion. He said, that he didn't believe, that he was the rebirth of Christ, but he saw, that I was part flipped over, because of his behavior, so he cared for 3 days for me. I slept at his flat, and tried to come down, but all got even more heavy and significant.
I got another good friend, with whom I talked and he is so crazy to follow me on this path. I developed, that he was some kind of Satan, but we realized, that Satan and Jesus were somehow on the same shoe, and you can easily flip the sides of good and bad. There is perhaps only one little difference, which I can't recall just now.
So at some evening I started to practice the apocalypse, breaking seals, celebrating the signs, having the complete picture in my mind.
The synchronizities got so strong, that one morning, after another apocalyptic celebration, I switched on the TV and there was a live-broadcast of some tribe-chiefs of some far out north-Siberian or Mongolic tribes,who had met and walked toward the camera. The leader carried a religious staff with a bell at its top. They stood right in front of the camera, then the reporter said: "These ancient leaders of the smunkhun-tribes have met, because they see, that the end of days is near and now want to call god, to acknowledge their visions. If the bell will ring in the next 3 Minutes, the leaders will see that as an approval."
Not to say, I stopped breathing the next 3 minutes :grin:

Very very much stuff went on... I baptized through the giving of water to drink, where I drank of it first. I saw the change of their personalities, the loss of their material boundaries.
I also could see, how deep the believe in every human was and I could test it out without problem, so I could really have made a rating-scale, what I did only in my mind.
it got heavier and heavier, until only my 'satanic' friend could understand me, because I only talked in pictures and allegories.
As I once visited some friends, a sentence I strongly remember is 'Hey, we want our old friend back, please'. That gave me the kick again and I realized, that it was no help if I can't communicate with the people anymore, because of their lack of believe, so they cant follow my reasonings.
So I tried to return. What a heavy job !
I remembered, how I ever wished for that (mystical) state I was in now, and how hard it was to reach. Now it was the same hardness for the way back ! I only came back with prayers and strong 'wanting'. That lasted over a year. I was in the state before about half a year to a year, so the whole thing lasted over 2 years !
I could tell much much more, but for me the essence of that experience is, that it is explainable in whole neurophysiological and psychological terms. Like my consciousness was overflooded in its left brainhalf with illogics, so it went into the right half, where it all made sense again.
Now I try to use both of my brainhalfs to almost the same amounts, but I strongly see the dominance of the left half in our society, what is damaging.
All the experiences demonstrated me, that there is nothing mystical about the way the believers of ancient times lived. It showed me the truth of all the interconnections of that great complexity, the life of the souls, the arena-like sphere we call reality. It all makes perfect sense until now for me, but the language is a hard tool to describe it all. God is not supernatural, he is very real and only a little shift away from our perception.

In everyday-live, those experiences I had made, I keep like a little precious treasure right next to my heart.

God blesses you all.

--------------------
Though lovers be lost love shall not  And death shall have no dominion
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men."Martin Luther King, Jr.
'Acceptance is the absolute key - at that moment you gain freedom and you gain power and you gain courage'

Invisiblepsyka
Praetorian
 User Gallery

Re: Religious Experience [Re: BlueCoyote]
    #4446117 - 07/24/05 06:44 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

The only religious experience I have yet to inspire me is currently from physical science.

Four or so years ago, I was expirencing extreme neglect (interesting properties arise from neglect) and dabbled into the whole New Age stuff. It was interesting, especially the parts about metaphyics and mystics (dealing mainly with Buddhism and Jesus). It offered to fill the void in my life and for awhile it did, and still has left a very positive imprint on my mind; and I do hold on to a few unprecedented beliefs :P.

Crop circles in sacred geometrical patterns (I still hold geometry sacred :wink:) offering messages of unity with other sentient beings of higher consciousness' than our own, solutions to our uncertain ancient past and our even more murky future. All this stuff... its all appealing to those wishing to fill the intellectual void in their minds. But after awhile, you see its all null and void, it doesnt offer anything with substance. It took me awhile to figure this out. Great minds in a lazy culture gravitate to sophisticated thought systems that really require no effort -- this to me is the essence of why mainstream religion is so successful (and I try not to offend anyone).

Anyway... the true religion is science. Uncovering the billions of years worth of mystery in this precious and so interesting Universe of ours. Understanding brings peace and peace brings enlightenment, thus physical science (the understanding of our natural surroundings) to me offers true religion.

--------------------
As the life of a candle,
my wick will burn out.
But, the fire of my mind
shall beam into infinite.

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
    #4446122 - 07/24/05 06:56 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Swami said:

:rofl:

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

InvisibleSinbad
Living TheMoment
Male

Loc: Under The Bodhi Tree
Re: Religious Experience [Re: Icelander]
    #4446259 - 07/24/05 08:28 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Icelander said:
Quote:

Swami said:

:rofl:

Sorry to disappoint you, but it only counts if your married, apparently :sad:

--------------------

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida Flag
Re: Religious Experience [Re: BlueCoyote]
    #4446381 - 07/24/05 10:01 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

It is interesting how the 'archetypal' personalities of the Evangelists, and the duality of Christ-Satan emerged from your unconscious and became projected onto your friends. I don't mean to minimize the emotional strain of this event for you - it could have gone terribly wrong. Charles Manson follower Susan Atkins wrote a book called 'Child of Satan Child of God' that illustrated this dual-role that Manson apparently experienced and convinced his followers of (with dreadful results). Synchronicities also took place around 'evil' (like the series of 'Damian' movies portrayed). 'Manson' showed his name to be 'Son[of]Man' reversed, and hence 'Judgement' took over 'Mercy.'

It can be amazingly instructive to live in an archetypal-mythic level as long as one does not identify with an archetype (one does NOT believe oneself to by Christ or Satan or any other such figure). This form of madness results in the ego-inflation that deludes one to believe that [s]he is above the duality of good and evil and is justified in doing whatever one wants. The result is often cruel and criminal.

GOD IS "supernatural" in the sense that GOD is 'above' nature, but I understand somewhat your meaning. GOD is actually Present to our experience - Real. The experience of GOD's Presence is deemed "mystical," in fact the word means various degrees of comm[union] with Ultimate Reality. Thanks for posting.

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida Flag
Re: Religious Experience [Re: psyka]
    #4446401 - 07/24/05 10:15 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Metaphysics means 'prior to physics.' Understanding physics, or the physical world as a whole, does not address the central aim or definition of 'spiritual' religion. One definition of religion can mean 'the passionate pursuit' of one thing or another (knowledge, power, sex, material possessions, status, etc.), but the difference is significant. Moreover, the object of one's religious devotion makes all the difference in what kind of personality one develops. Only a Transcendental 'Object' allows for a human personality to blossom into wholeness (which is holiness).

Peace.

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies