Home | Community | Message Board

Lil Shop Of Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Portable Greenhouse, Ultrasonic Humidifier, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineOnetwothree
This is MajorTom
 Arcade Champion: Space Runner

Casing keeps drying out...?
    #4440665 - 07/23/05 01:11 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Alright, this is kind of a happy story, but it ends in a question. After 3 75 quart tubs getting hit with trich due to no air exchange, two casing getting hit by it (same problem)... I decided to stop using worm casting, because I was told this also plays a factor.

Anyway, I cased some straight grain I had lying around, and put it into a tub of it's own, fanned daily, and misted... Nothing happened to it for the longest time after it broke the casing layer. It just started to die almost, and I think that's because the humidity is so low where I live. The misting just wasn't enough.

I thought the casing might be infected like the others, so I took it out of the tray, turned it over, and looked for mean green... none was found, in fact it seemed that it was a pretty solid mass, no discoloration. I put the now mangled casing back in its container, and saw the poor thing had lost all the extra casing mix on top, now it has hills and bumps all over it, very uneven.

This casing was doomed. I knew something had to be done, so I went out and built it his own greenhouse, with a humidifier and everything. Even cleaned out a closet and dedicated the whole room to it.

Since then (2 days ago), I am beginning to see the beginnings of pins, which is very cool. There's a surprising amount of them, given the state of the casing --- I didn't think it was going to make it... the rhizo's all blued on the top, some of the myc blued, it was just so dried out and shriveled. But it seems to have been revitalized.

My question though, is I mist this thing heavily, like every 3-4 hours, and every time I come back, it's bone dry again. Is it just sucking up all that moisture because it was so dried? Should I continue to mist it? Maybe I could put some moistened verm down the sides to help it out...? Any ideas would be helpful, as this thing is just a sponge for water.

--------------------
Free Spore Ring Canada

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Casing keeps drying out...? [Re: Onetwothree]
    #4440690 - 07/23/05 01:19 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Pour spring water gently around the inside of the trays lid. Let it soak into the substrate 15 minutes - then tilt tray & pour off any excess.

If you have such low Rh, suggest you either double up on the coolmists, or add a ultrasonic inside the Martha, on a timer.

--------------------

OfflineOnetwothree
This is MajorTom
 Arcade Champion: Space Runner

Re: Casing keeps drying out...? [Re: agar]
    #4440781 - 07/23/05 01:41 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Aye I have an inlet for another coolmist, but can't afford it right now, gotta wait til payday.  I will try what you said, and just pour some in and let it soak for a lil bit.  Thanks for the advice :smile:

--------------------
Free Spore Ring Canada

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Portable Greenhouse, Ultrasonic Humidifier, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation