Home | Community | Message Board

Shroom Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Rye Grain, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinelemunhed
The hustler'shustler

Loc: Ur moms house
grain supply: possibly dooming 100% of my jars to failure? Help!
    #4439719 - 07/22/05 09:45 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

No matter what my friend does, 7 days or so into colonization his shit ALWAYS contams. No matter what. he uses rye grain prepared all different mehtods. He has had 60 jars maybe which colonize fine and then contam at about 70%, its always an obscure weird contam. Either pink fleks, or small tiny brown mold or shit like that. The mycelium always colonizes it and then won't fruit after its cased.

My friend has tried soaking for 12 hours, then simmering and PC'ing. He has tried adding the grain and water in at the same time and PC'ing with no soak. He uses polyfill lid filters half the time and tyvek half the time. He is using high quality syringes from The hawks eye, and has a very sterile innoc procedure (similar to the one agar uses) and his stuff always contams and won't fruit. Could it be the grain source? Are there some endospores which are just so hearty they survive a pressure cooking or two? Is my friend going to have to tyndalize all his shit or some elaborate thing like that? It's really frusterating and for the time being my friend has entirely switched to cakes in a hope that they may at least enable him to recoup his start up costs and perpetuate his strain by making good spores syringes.

Any one ever have 90% f their jars contam due to unclean rye grain no matter what procedure they follow? IS it the grain or the technique?

--------------------
You're pompeius, aren't you? I'll make a pompeian of you unless you hold your toungue!

-Tiberius Claudius Nero

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinered914
Minion
Loc: Utah
Re: grain supply: possibly dooming 100% of my jars to failure? Help! [Re: lemunhed]
    #4440868 - 07/23/05 02:06 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Make 4 grain bottles, use tyvek over the lid, tin foil on all 4. Inoculate 2 of em. Treat all 4 the same. If all 4 contaminate, it is you PC/grain prep. If it is just the inoc 2, it is in the syringe area. (divide and conquer) Report back....

Offlineultralight
fury 762 where are you?

Re: grain supply: possibly dooming 100% of my jars to failure? Help! [Re: red914]
    #4440961 - 07/23/05 02:30 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

red914 said:
Make 4 grain bottles, use tyvek over the lid, tin foil on all 4. Inoculate 2 of em. Treat all 4 the same. If all 4 contaminate, it is you PC/grain prep. If it is just the inoc 2, it is in the syringe area. (divide and conquer) Report back....

Thats a good idea!

The contamination FAQ has good info and pics on contams, how they spread and could give you an idea on how to prevent them... http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/23418

Hope you figure this out and I wish you great success :mushroom2:

Take care n be safe...

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
Re: grain supply: possibly dooming 100% of my jars to failure? Help! [Re: lemunhed]
    #4441572 - 07/23/05 05:15 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

If there is a PETCO store around you?
Get a 40 lb bag of BIRD BASICS WBS @ $8

]
Fill a plastic bucket 2/3rds full & fill to brim with water.
Soak at least 12 hours. I prefer 18 to 24 hours.

Once soaked, rinse & drain --> WELL
No simmer needed.
Jar up - as above (2/3rds full).
#5 is jar PC'ed 90 minutes

While jars are colonizing

Find a tote load of weather aged dry h/poo.

PM me - when you get that far

--------------------

Offlinelemunhed
The hustler'shustler

Re: grain supply: possibly dooming 100% of my jars to failure? Help! [Re: agar]
    #4444078 - 07/23/05 08:20 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Agar I appreciate your well thought out suggestions and I think I am going to hit you up with a PM, but right now my friend has entirely abandoned grain culture to practice PF tek. He was more specifically wondering if grain source mattered alot, rather than looking for an alternate cooking technique.

He wants to at least make sure his basic skills and growing chambers are ok for his casings by using PF first, and make sure he can case this and get it to fruit alright. My friend is just getting too frusterated spending hours researching and cooking to not take a little break from grain culture . And he needs more money... so its pf tek for right now but my friend is going to need this advice when he attempts grain again. I'm saving this page....

--------------------
You're pompeius, aren't you? I'll make a pompeian of you unless you hold your toungue!

-Tiberius Claudius Nero

Offlinelemunhed
The hustler'shustler

#4444099 - 07/23/05 08:24 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Also, do you use postal tyvek? I am wondering if maybe that is what is getting my friends stuff contammed, sometimes it looks like the contam comes from the top. And if you do use it, I take it you put the unprinted side facing out?

--------------------

-Tiberius Claudius Nero

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
    #4444136 - 07/23/05 08:30 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Print side DOWN.

--------------------

Offlinelemunhed
The hustler'shustler

Re: grain supply: possibly dooming 100% of my jars to failure? Help! [Re: agar]
    #4445045 - 07/24/05 12:54 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Well I guess that's not it then, one vector out of the picture =).

--------------------

-Tiberius Claudius Nero

InvisibleMagashM
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
    #4445168 - 07/24/05 01:22 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

My friend has tried soaking for 12 hours  Make it 24hrs

Add 15 min to a half hour to pc time.  :thumbup:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Invisibledeanofmean
mycophagous

Loc: PNW
Re: grain supply: possibly dooming 100% of my jars to failure? Help! [Re: Magash]
    #4445411 - 07/24/05 02:45 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

yes, if the grain is suspect, go w/ 24 hr. soak, and rinse well after the simmer.

i use tyvek print side out most of the time, but i have done it backasswords, and haven't noticed a deference.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Rye Grain, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation