Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinephreedom420
Stranger
Soverignity and Private Island Purchasing
    #4438794 - 07/22/05 05:38 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I have recently begun to save money and transfer investments so that in the next 10-15 years, I can purchase one of the numerous private islands for sale arond the world. I read somewhere, and I lost the link, that certain nations would, on certain islands, give you soverignity over the island. Military defense, in these instances, are usually dealt with in an agreement of the soverign island nation and the 'host' nation. For example, I'd purchase an island from Nicaragua and they would allow me soverignity over the island. In exchange for their guarantee of military defense, I'd allow them over-fly privledge and emergency assistance (I'd allow a wrecked Nicaraguan Navy ship to dock at my place if they needed to).

I am having my lawyer check into these statements and see if it's true. If so, what all does soverignity give me? Would it truely be my own nation? Could I join the United Nations? Could I name my own country? Could I introduce matters to the United Nations? Could I have a spot at the UN for "Jeff's Party Island of Drugs, Whores and Booze" (My countries planned name). Could I select ambassadors and establish myself as diplomat, thus having diplomatic immunity in the USA? This is definatly something that i'm looking forward to learning more about.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleGijith
Daisy Chain Eater

Loc: New York
Re: Soverignity and Private Island Purchasing [Re: phreedom420]
    #4438830 - 07/22/05 05:50 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I saw like a 20/20 special once on this guy:

http://www.freerepublic.com/forum/a3a6219163050.htm

He rules:

Quote:

The helicopter led him to North Dumpling Island, a speck of land with a lighthouse, located in Long Island Sound. His flight instructor's wife, a real estate agent, told him the island was for sale. One winter day, he set out to find it. He brought the chopper down near the lighthouse tender's home. A frightened old man, part of the family that owned the island, came out to see what was going on. The young inventor befriended the man and his wife. When Kamen later bought the island (at a bargain price), he let the couple continue living there.

Though Kamen doesn't visit the island much anymore, it's a microcosm of his worldview, a whimsical combination of leave-me-alone and dreams of techno-utopia. An aerial photograph that hangs in Kamen's office at Deka bears a caption that reads "The Only 100 Percent Science-Literate Society."

When Kamen wanted to erect a wind turbine on North Dumpling and the state of New York objected, he seceded from the US. Though the secession has never been officially recognized, he signed a nonaggression pact with his friend, then-President George Bush, and enlisted Ben Cohen and Jerry Greenfield of Ben & Jerry's as "joint chiefs of ice cream." North Dumpling has its own flag, its own anthem, a one-ship navy, and its own currency. One bill, which Kamen carries in his wallet, is the value of pi. "You can't make change for it," he says with a grin. "It's a transcendental function."

--------------------
what's with neocons and the word 'ilk'?

Offlinephreedom420
Stranger
Re: Soverignity and Private Island Purchasing [Re: Gijith]
    #4439087 - 07/22/05 06:50 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Hah, nice. I'm thinking about an island off the coast of South America somewhere. More than two miles would be nice, so I could really have it be MY space. One of them is in the shape of a crescent with a crystal clear cove in the middle. About 10M$ US, a lot of money, but places will finance if you have about 40% of it down in liquid assets. If I had soverignity, I'd have to develop my own postal system, I suppose. Maybe I'd just go to the mainland and use some other nations.

OfflineDrink_Punk_Soda
Now with ExtraVaganza!?
 Arcade Champion: Maeda Line, Moon Patrol

Loc: Nowhere fast
    #4439118 - 07/22/05 06:57 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Wow, good luck, and good luck getting $4 Million dollars.

--------------------

Kumbayah my lord, Kumbayah...

Offlinephreedom420
Stranger
Re: Soverignity and Private Island Purchasing [Re: Drink_Punk_Soda]
    #4439162 - 07/22/05 07:07 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Making money in America isn't hard. A person with a college degree should be able to make at least 50,000$ a year. Investing some money into, say, real estate should earn another 10-20K a year. I plan on purchasing houses (while finishing college / grad school) and living in them. While I live in them I'll fix them up and then either rent them or resell them for a large profit. A friend of mine was purchasing and refabing "cheap" houses in Great Falls back in the late 70's and early 80's. He made hundreds of thousands of dollars doing it while he worked for the federal government as a prosecutor. You just have to work hard and have a few other side businesses going on. Four million dollars in total liquidatable assets isn't that terribly much. Owning a $300,000 house is about 10% of the way there. Retirement accounts and such should account for a lot more. Well, if I can't do it solo, I'll have 2-3 friends join in with me.

OfflineDrink_Punk_Soda
Now with ExtraVaganza!?
 Arcade Champion: Maeda Line, Moon Patrol

Loc: Nowhere fast
    #4439367 - 07/22/05 08:00 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

phreedom420 said:
Making money in America isn't hard. A person with a college degree should be able to make at least 50,000$ a year.

Pick your degree carefully, that's not quite true as a sweeping statement these days...

--------------------

Kumbayah my lord, Kumbayah...

Offlinephreedom420
Stranger
Re: Soverignity and Private Island Purchasing [Re: Drink_Punk_Soda]
    #4439370 - 07/22/05 08:01 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Chem/physics as undergrad, chemistry or medicine as grad. As a surgeon I should be making at least 400K a year.

OfflineJesusChrist
Son Of God
    #4439522 - 07/22/05 08:57 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

They have some interesting real estate cites on the net for buying private island. I looked into that about six months ago. The problem with a lot of them is that you need a good amount of flat unobstructed land for the landing strip. If I can't set my lear down directly I am not interested.

Ok, so that is a bunch of shit. I can't touch that kind of money, but I did look into private islands awhile back when I was just daydreaming. I think Italy had some cool ones. They are quite pricey. I don't think you get to be an independent state either.

Tell me what you find though. I find it interesting.

--------------------
Tastes just like chicken

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion