Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Invisiblenewuser1492
Republicans love handouts.
    #4437137 - 07/22/05 07:00 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/07/21/dell_land_nc/

Quote:

After pumping North Carolina for more than $270m, Dell decided it wasn't done yet. Actually pay for the land its new factory will sit on? Hell, no!

In a confusing exchange deal, Dell will "pay" the city of Winston-Salem $7m for land in return for $7m worth of roads and grants from the city to Dell, so it gains the 200-acre factory site for free. Dell currently faces a massive lawsuit (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/06/23/dell_nc_suit/) over other parts of the North Carolina package.

Originally, Forsyth County and Winston-Salem officials had agreed to front the cost of the 200-acre site housing Dell's new plant. But lawyers negotiating the deal grew concerned that, among other things, the arrangement made it possible for Dell to sell and profit from land the city bought. Hence the new deal in which Dell kind of, sort of pays for the land but doesn't really. The Winston-Salem City Council approved the change this week and is in the process of signing new contracts, The Register has learned.

"Now, Dell pays us directly for the land," said Derwick Paige, assistant city manager of Winston-Salem confirmed in an interview with us. "However, of the $7m that they pay us, we will put all the money in a general fund and take $1.5m to put toward infrastructure improvements and the other $5.5m we'll give to them over a two year period in the form of grants."

With the extra $7m, Dell's total North Carolina incentives package now comes to $284m. That's $244m more than Virginia, the second leading bidder for Dell's factory, was reportedly willing to offer.

Dell's package includes the land money, tax breaks, police protection, special Dell training classes at local colleges, new roads and a host of other fixes. In return, Dell could deliver as many as 1,600 jobs to the city, although it can fire close to half that amount and maintain the package perks. Locals have complained that the company has received unfair advantages that will harm smaller businesses. The net benefit for employment in the city is far from clear.

Thanks to our local reporters, you can see the $7m worth of land here (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/07/12/dell_nc_photos/).

Paige said the new land contract has nothing to do with the lawsuit. Dell and local officials have been renegotiating terms for the past six months, and the city council's vote on Monday was the final sign-off needed to close the deal.

"Attorneys from all sides thought these changes would make the deal stronger in case there was a challenge," Paige said. "Now, there is a challenge (with the lawsuit)."

The North Carolina Senate recently approved a measure that will allow the state to continue offering such incentive packages to companies for the next two years. The state has suffered from job losses in key tobacco farming and textile industries and is trying to build out an already sturdy technology sector. One of Dell's closest allies - Red Hat - calls North Carolina home.

It's good to see such staunch Republicans as Chairman Michael Dell and CEO Kevin Rollins, who donated in 2004 to the Every Republican is Crucial PAC, the Longhorn PAC, Tom DeLay, the Republican National Committee and George W. Bush, so happily take enormous government handouts. Dell is one of the most profitable computer makers on the planet, making $3.3bn net income last year.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleAnnapurna1
liberal pussy
Female User Gallery
Loc: innsmouth..MA
Re: Republicans love handouts. [Re: newuser1492]
    #4437410 - 07/22/05 08:57 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

in that case..i hope your not posting this from a dell computer...

--------------------

"anchor blocks counteract the process of pontiprobation..while omalean globes regulize the pressure"...

Invisible1stimer
Religion=Rape
Loc: Amerika
    #4438385 - 07/22/05 02:09 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

republicans love corporate wellfare and they sell at as trickle down theory. I have proof that trickle down theory is bogus. The owner of the cleaning company i worked for had a meeting with the building manager at my building and the employees i supervised. The meeting was about a bonus program. If we were able to go an entire month without a complaint then the building manager would allocate 100 dollars per floor to the company owner to redistribute to us. we worked our asses off because we were told we were each going to 100 dollar bonus's. We went 3 months without a complaint. The building manager paid the company owner the bonus money and expected him to then give it to us. Come bonus time, the owner walks around to each of us and hands us a 5 dollar bill. We were all outraged and there was nothing we could do about but quit. If we quit he would just hire 15 more illegal mexicans(which he has been busted many times before for) to replace us. Trickle down theory doesnt work because CEO's are greedy.

--------------------
ash dingy donker mo gollyhopper patty popiton rockstop bueno mayo riggedy jig bobber johnathan pattywhacker gogboob t-shirt monkey.

There is such emotion in the distortion.

Offlinephreedom420
Stranger
Re: Republicans love handouts. [Re: 1stimer]
    #4438759 - 07/22/05 03:30 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

So I'm assuming that you quit? If you didn't, it's your fault. Read Steinbecks classic novel "The Grapes of Wrath" and see an example of other people in your situation.

First, you work for a cleaning company. I'm going to assume that you don't have an education (collegiate plus) and are on the bottom rung of a totem pole thats in a pretty crappy position anyway.

Second, it's his company. He can do whatever the hell he wants. From pervious management experiences, I've noticed that the "lower class" worker (entry/level) always are bitching about being oppressed by the management staff. If they didn't give you a written promise, they really aren't to be bound to it.

Third, for the companies that I have worked for in a non-management position, I've been given great bonus'. You just aren't working in hte right business. Making a blanket statement about CEO's being greedy is ignorant and myopic. CEO's run companies that are expected to make a profit. If they don't make a profit, shareholders lose money. Why would a CEO not try to make money? It's not his job to run the company in the ground to make you feel good about being an uneducated janitor. If you want to change the world, get a MBA, start a company and be a CEO that doesn't care about money. Then, when you are back to cleaning toilets after your company fails, continue to complain.

Fourth, you should have quit. If I ever worked at a job where I felt I was being treated unfairly, I'd have spoken with a higher-up and tried to resolve it. If it does not get resolved, I'd quit. Of course, I have marketable skills and an education, so I'd have other job options available. I'm sure you can find other toilets that have filth on them to scrub.

Fifth, a bonus isn't mandatory.

Suck it up cowboy, get an education and a job.

Offlinephreedom420
Stranger
    #4438773 - 07/22/05 03:33 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I'd like to know how many jobs are being created by this plant being created. Sometimes a municipality has to spend some money to bring business into the area. At least these jobs aren't being 'outsourced'. If a local legislature decides it's worth it to spend their tax dollars to bring a business to the area, whats it matter? It's not like they've been bribed. They believe it's worth spending some money to have a large company in their area with stable jobs.

Invisiblenewuser1492
Re: Republicans love handouts. [Re: phreedom420]
    #4442132 - 07/23/05 09:44 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

They believe it's worth spending some money to have a large company in their area with stable jobs.

Because the government is taking private money and forcing the citizens to spend it on a specific business. That is a huge interference in the market and is essentially corporate welfare. It screws the small business who isn't receiving the welfare and thus unfairly affects the market.

OfflineProsgeopax
Jaded, yethopeful?

Loc: Appearing at a mall near ...
    #4442261 - 07/23/05 10:33 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Republicans don't believe in free markets or free trade, they believe in managed markets and managed trade. Of course to keep the libertarian elements of their party under their wing and to deceive people who take things at face value, their marketing gurus have co-opted the terms "free trade" and "free market" because they are better brandings than "corporatism." It's the same product, just a different (and misleading) label.

--------------------
Money doesn't grow on trees, but deficits do grow under Bushes.

You can accept, reject, or examine and test any new idea that comes to you. The wise man chooses the third way.
- Tom Willhite

Disclaimer: I reserve the right to change my opinions should I become aware of additional facts, the falsification of information or different perspectives. Articles written by others which I post may not necessarily reflect my opinions in part or in whole, my opinions may be in direct opposition, the topic may be one on which I have yet to formulate an opinion or have doubts about, an article may be posted solely with the intent to stimulate discussion or contemplation.

Invisible1stimer
Religion=Rape
    #4442375 - 07/23/05 10:54 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

So I'm assuming that you quit

dont assume anything.

Quote:

Second, it's his company. He can do whatever the hell he wants.

Actually, no he cant. Everything is regulated. we dont live in anarchy.

Quote:

I'm going to assume that you don't have an education (collegiate plus) and are on the bottom rung of a totem pole thats in a pretty crappy position anyway.

assumptions will get you killed.

Quote:

I'm sure you can find other toilets that have filth on them to scrub.

Fifth, a bonus isn't mandatory.

Suck it up cowboy, get an education and a job.

You sound like an asshole because you try to demean me but you dont address the issue of trickle down theory.

--------------------
ash dingy donker mo gollyhopper patty popiton rockstop bueno mayo riggedy jig bobber johnathan pattywhacker gogboob t-shirt monkey.

Edited by 1stimer (07/23/05 10:55 AM)

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #4442385 - 07/23/05 10:55 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

1stimer said:
Quote:

Second, it's his company. He can do whatever the hell he wants.

Actually, no he cant. Everything is regulated. we dont live in anarchy.

What he gives you as a bonus is not regulated.

Invisible1stimer
Religion=Rape
Re: Republicans love handouts. [Re: Redstorm]
    #4442415 - 07/23/05 11:01 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

What he gives you as a bonus is not regulated.

In a way it was. I called the building manager up, demanding answers. He didnt know that the company owner wasnt dispersing the bonus money untill i told him. Then he decided to go with another cleaning company and my asshole boss lost the contract. I got yelled at but ended up getting promoted to zone manager and I got a raise. I love it when i kick a CEO in the nuts and they love me even more for it.

--------------------

Invisible1stimer
Religion=Rape
    #4442425 - 07/23/05 11:03 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

I've noticed that the "lower class" worker (entry/level) always are bitching about being oppressed by the management staff

Maybe your management staff sucks balls.

--------------------

InvisibleIsaacHunt
Stranger
    #4442432 - 07/23/05 11:05 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Maybe your management staff sucks balls.

:grin:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom