Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisiblePriitK
Stranger
 User Gallery

Immortality?
    #4436373 - 07/22/05 12:34 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

What are your views on Immortality?

(...do you think it is possible?...?)

if No or Yes Please explain yourself....just don't say "no, yes" explain your views fulley and possibly put links/movies/anything that deals with Immortality...I am writing a paper & interested in this subject, afterall who wouldn't wanna be immortal that loves their life now on earth.....

I read my friends book & it said there are immortal yogis in indian over 300 years old, fact or fiction its still interesting...indeed.

later mushroom immortal heads floating in a sea of happiness where the sun wont burn, the sun wont turn, and your mind stays constantly happy like Mr Rogers  :sun:

--------------------
I don't do drugs....I am drugs

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

Loc: I re·side [primarily] in...
Re: Im'mortality? [Re: PriitK]
    #4436479 - 07/22/05 01:03 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

so far so good! I am immortal to the day I dies! :P

:wink:

--------------------

--------------------
Disclaimer!?

InvisiblePriitK
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Im'mortality? [Re: Gomp]
    #4436527 - 07/22/05 01:15 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Heh Heh......

that is something I would say, but I wanna go deeper then that.

If you think immortality is possibly, like some yogis do...what do you think you have to do to become immortal obviously not dying is one....but there must be much more then that...

Either that God/Creator picks certain people that could help people out on earth & don't mind it....thats my views, but im shopping for rolles and gold...so thats it for now...But I feel I am immortal all of a sudden I went from pain/depression/suffering like the bible said god did, now i have 100% happiness way better then E

& i'm getting so much money, all of a sudden i'm getting hot girls/models constantly, if i go in a store everyone stares at me and blushes, why????????? am i a ghost????????? am i living??????? very strange, id on't know anymore....guess im on cloud 9 . ;]
<33333333333333 love u all

--------------------

OfflineTheCow
Stranger

Re: Im'mortality? [Re: PriitK]
    #4436627 - 07/22/05 01:39 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Ha wait, you are writing a paper on the existence of immortality and not the cultural significance of the idea of immortality? Immortality is not possible, so that should be one interesting paper.

InvisibleELECTRIC
I'm a Puppet

Loc: Bonded with string...
Re: Immortality? [Re: PriitK]
    #4436680 - 07/22/05 01:51 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

For myself, I am not so certain that I'd enjoy immortality.

Suppose you could be immortal and things went very smoothly for you and you enjoyed a lucrative life for many countless centuries... How would you feel being unable to die when the Sun explodes and you remain engulfed in its fire for countless years...

You'd be in HELL... Unable to die... The torment would be tremendous... Definately unpleasant...

Immortality would lose its novelty very quickly I'm sure... wouldn't it?

What? You don't think that will ever happen? You think that this place will be here forever?

I myself, will graciously accept my death whenever the time comes.

--------------------
Nos confido phasmatis occultus in vicis postulo nostrum tutela donatus futurus.

OfflineTurdFerguson
Folk Villain
Male

Loc: 123 Fake St.
Re: Immortality? [Re: ELECTRIC]
    #4436928 - 07/22/05 02:56 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

the atoms and energy that make up our physical body can never be destroyed, only recombinated. isnt there some comfort in that? every single molecule that makes up you will always exist, hence some measure of immortality. unless you believe in that "soul" bullshit...then things become complicated.

--------------------
Hey, baby...wanna kill all humans?

Offlinelouis_last
Stranger

Re: Immortality? [Re: TurdFerguson]
    #4437076 - 07/22/05 05:51 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

nowadays immortality is generally taken to mean that you wont die of old age rather than that you become invincible so you would die long before the sun explodes just from bad luck. i dont believe immortality is possible BUT that doesnt mean i dont think we wont see drastically increased human lifespans in the next few centuries, some good fictional books that deal with the subject are kim stanley robinsons mars trilogy. obviously they are fictional but most of the stuff is based on current theories etc.

Offlinealsey
meet me in thedreamtimewater...

#4437125 - 07/22/05 06:46 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

IMO immortality is another concept based on the delusion of self. the idea that some being or entity that is 'you' can last forever. the reality is that you are just another part of a constantly changing world. in the stage that we call life, this part of the world (the brain) constructs a conciousness and an ego. this is a constantly changing thing. every day you wake up slightly different. the 'you' of yesterday no longer exists; your brain will be subtly different. eventually, as things change, the brain will reach a state where it is unable to construct conciousness. this is just another change, but we see it as highly significant because it means the end of ego.

in my view, only one thing is 'immortal'; the universe itself as a whole.

--------------------
"Gently return to the simple physical sensation of the breath. Then do it again, and again, and again. Somewhere in this process, you will come face-to-face with the sudden and shocking realization that you are completely crazy. Your mind is a shrieking, gibbering madhouse on wheels." - ven. henepola gunaratana

InvisiblePriitK
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Immortality? [Re: alsey]
    #4437148 - 07/22/05 07:05 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I guess if you believe you're immortal you will be, whatever you overload your brain inside will do/think. So I guess time is the only answer.

--------------------

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
    #4437229 - 07/22/05 07:39 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

No immortality! No. You die. Everyone has always died as far as I can tell. Belief in Immortality= Fear of death.  Dust in the Wind. Not to worry. :grin: :heart:

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

InvisiblePriitK
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Immortality? [Re: Icelander]
    #4437244 - 07/22/05 07:46 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

That depends on if it's real or not, no human knows, unless they do know they will keep it secret................Kokkk Immortality fatality concocktions penetrate its all possibly in my mind its in a jar with wires attached on a computer, I'm immortal

--------------------

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
    #4437383 - 07/22/05 08:46 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Immortality will be a scientific possibility within the next few hundred years. Those who made it a few centuries would probably end up exploring suicide options. I agree death eventually must occurr, but wouldn't it be cool to have a couple hundred years to figure life out instead of eighty?

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

InvisibleIcelander
Male

Re: Immortality? [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #4437499 - 07/22/05 09:37 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Immortality NOW!  I can't wait a few hundered years Hue. I'm in pretty good shape, but I'd really have to get my sorcerers practice in full swing to pull that off. :slider: :zoom: :scrambled:

--------------------

InvisibleIcelander
Male

#4437507 - 07/22/05 09:41 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

And just think how long you'd have to wait to collect social security. And a factory job until your 163826354823 years old would really be a drag. :grin::

--------------------

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

#4437662 - 07/22/05 10:56 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

it goes with fear of death I guess,
if it did work, science fiction wise, it might get boring.

this system of re-incarnating is
plenty interesting.

--------------------
:confused: _ :brainfart:🧠  _ :finger:

InvisibleIcelander
Male

Re: Immortality? [Re: redgreenvines]
    #4437680 - 07/22/05 11:01 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Life is just long enough. Wouldn't you agree? :grin: :heart:

--------------------

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: Immortality? [Re: alsey]
    #4437697 - 07/22/05 11:04 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

alsey said:
IMO immortality is another concept based on the delusion of self.

In actuality, its another concept based on the idea that a specific system, regardless of flux within that system, can continue to exist for all of time.

Quote:

in the stage that we call life, this part of the world (the brain) constructs a conciousness and an ego. this is a constantly changing thing. every day you wake up slightly different. the 'you' of yesterday no longer exists; your brain will be subtly different. eventually, as things change, the brain will reach a state where it is unable to construct conciousness. this is just another change, but we see it as highly significant because it means the end of ego.

In my view, this is based on a lot of misconceptions and assumptions that simply cannot be made at this time. You assume, first off, that consciousness is a "construct" of the brain. Personally, I think it is more logical to assume that consciousness is an emergent property of our biological arrangement than other alternatives, simply based on what we have observed in our reality; however, expressing this as a fact is misleading and unsupported.

I do agree with your assertion stating that the concept of what we identify ourselves with is constantly changing, our personality, our thoughts, even our physical form. However, there is a constant system which we can identify with that exists, regardless of the change within it. The water that flows through the Mississippi River is not what defines the Mississippi River, nor is it the area through which it flows, as both are constantly changing, but yet the conventional idea of the Mississippi River continues to exist. We are a formless form, eh? :grin:

Also, you state that the end of consciousness is signifigant as it is the end of ego. I'm requesting that you go further into detail here, as well as to the manner in which you are using the term "ego". :wink:

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :satansmoking:
Peace. :mushroom2:

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

OfflineOldWoodSpecter
waiting
Male

Loc: mountains and lakes
    #4438110 - 07/22/05 01:06 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Of course it is possible. Human body works on simple laws of physics, immortality is just a matter of understanding all of these laws so you can repair any damage that is done to the body.

The reason why we can't do this or do that is because we don't understand all the laws of doing this or doing that.

--------------------
I descend upon your earth from the skies
I command your very souls you unbelievers
Bring before me what is mine

OfflineOldWoodSpecter
waiting
Male

Loc: mountains and lakes
    #4438115 - 07/22/05 01:07 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Icelander said:
No immortality! No. You die. Everyone has always died as far as I can tell. Belief in Immortality= Fear of death.  Dust in the Wind. Not to worry. :grin: :heart:

is there a reason why ego should want death?

--------------------
I descend upon your earth from the skies
I command your very souls you unbelievers
Bring before me what is mine

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida Flag
    #4438221 - 07/22/05 01:41 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Time to ask for clarification. There is no "immortality" in the Bible, for example. The 'immortality of the soul' is a theological position taken from Greek thought. The Bible espouses "Eternal Life," which a completely different notion. Eternal Life is the Life of Deity, of GOD, and under the proper conditions (faith or true gnosis) one 'enters in' to this Transcendental condition.

Eternal Life does not include anthropomorphic life, in other words, the life of 'form' and bodies and families (as in the movie 'What Dreams May Come' with Robin Williams) - a type of Happy Hunting Ground or Elysian Field. Of Eternal Life it is wisely said:

"No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived what God has prepared for those who love him." - 1 Corinthians 2:9 NIV

Eternal Life is utterly Transcendental, ineffable (cannot be described as we have no linguistic categories to describe the condition). In a similar vein, Paul speaks of a certain "man in Christ" (understood as talking about himself) who:

"...was caught up to the third heaven. Whether it was in the body or apart from the body I do not know - God knows...and I know that this man...was caught up to paradise. He heard inexpressible things, things that man is not permitted to tell." 2 Corinthians 12:1-4 NIV

Not only was Paul's mystical experience one of gnosis ("I know"), and not only was it verbally "inexpressible," but the Unity that we can assume that he experienced (as a classic mystical oneness with GOD), any verbal expression of it would have seemed blasphemous and pointing to Paul's unique ego (which he knew was not the case, but knew would seem like he was claiming divine status). To keep him humble, Paul says that GOD has given him some kind of affliction - to keep his feet and identity on Earth. At any rate, it is passages like these that indicate the Mystery of Eternal Life, the Life of the Resurrected [Spiritual] Body, and 'Body' is not to be taken as a human form howsoever spiritualized - any more than the 'Diamond Body' in Vajrayana Buddhism is anything more than a metaphor for clarity, transparency, indestructibility and a multi-faceted yet singular reality.

Peace and thanks for reading.

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order