Home | Community | Message Board

Shroom Supply
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Science and Technology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleIrradiated_Feces
doomedgeneration
 User Gallery

Loc: Great White North
Uncapping cable modems, Free internet services
    #4437272 - 07/22/05 09:57 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I have a Motorola surfboard 4100 cable modem that can be modified to get free internet as well as uncapped internet. Is anyone else familiar with it? It was given to me by afoaf who did all the hacking work with it. Currently it is dead on me and I have to figure out how to reprogram it. The main website for these is tcniso.net, it's pretty awesome what you can do with them - upwards of 1200kb/s speeds if setup properly. Anyway just wondering if anyone has screwed around with these before or if they can help me with my setup.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineprefloppro
Last Call
Re: Uncapping cable modems, Free internet services [Re: Irradiated_Feces]
    #4437462 - 07/22/05 11:19 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I used to be able to uncap with my other cable provider. It just all depends on the provider. I was able to sniff out the the unlimited speed config file, and had 10 megs down and about 5 up. I also used the programs available from tcniso, but i used their firmware sigma, its where you actually re flash your modem. Its been a couple years ago and I live in a new environment so I have not been able to uncap here. I wish i had my other computer running because I have like 100's of documents and programs to assist you with uncapping, I have like 20 different config files I downloaded. I will try to get that up and running for you in a couple of days. There is also some firmware made by tcniso competitor that I heard is ten times better than sigma, but i forgot the name of it.

Offlinebaraka
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: ohio
    #4437535 - 07/22/05 11:56 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

You will get cought by your isp dont do it. Ive talked to time warner guy that says every once in a while they check for people that has transfered faster then the caps.

--------------------
This is the only time I really feel alive.

Offlineprefloppro
Last Call
Re: Uncapping cable modems, Free internet services [Re: baraka]
    #4437593 - 07/22/05 12:32 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Yeah they can and will blacklist you, thats why dont be stupid about it. I could of had basically unlimited speeds, but i chose to go a couple steps higher than what i was getting just to stay below the radar.

doomedgeneration
 User Gallery

Re: Uncapping cable modems, Free internet services [Re: prefloppro]
    #4437630 - 07/22/05 12:48 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Well I'm more interested in just getting my free service back, it wasn't uncapped when I did have it, I probably wouldn't bother uncapping anyway. I'm using Firmware, sigma 1.1 I believe. I think what I need is a working MAC address and serial, I was dickin around with the TFTP setting and config file setting in the ip/tcniso.html setup and may have altered something I wasn't supposed to as well. That would be awesome if you could hook me up with some programs/config files prefloppro.

InvisibleautomanM
blasted chipmunk
 User Gallery

#4438600 - 07/22/05 04:52 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

king hippo is key! nice avatar. i'll check out the site you recommended. thanks for the link.

--------------------
No, no, you're not thinking, you're just being logical. ~ Niels Bohr

OfflineBoringNickName
Stranger
Re: Uncapping cable modems, Free internet services [Re: automan]
    #4438928 - 07/22/05 06:14 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

http://coffer.com/mac_find/

002040 Motorola Broadband (was: general instrument corporation)

That should be the info you need to build a working MAC address, the serial should be on the box(along with the mac address)

InvisibleParanoidAndroid
Dude
 User Gallery

Re: Uncapping cable modems, Free internet services [Re: BoringNickName]
    #4440362 - 07/22/05 11:57 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Problem is that nowadays most ISPs have most of the configuration on the server's side - meaning no more uncapping. Also many ISPs...(comcast comes to mind) monitor unusually high bandwidth usage and will send cease-and-desist letters and may terminate your service. Also I dunno how you could get cable internet without paying, as the isp needs your mac address registered in their system for you to get a connection. sorry to bust your bubble!

doomedgeneration
 User Gallery

Re: Uncapping cable modems, Free internet services [Re: ParanoidAndroid]
    #4449740 - 07/25/05 10:00 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

ParanoidAndroid said:
Also I dunno how you could get cable internet without paying, as the isp needs your mac address registered in their system for you to get a connection. sorry to bust your bubble!

No bubble to bust here. I'm not making this shit up, it is possible to get cable internet without paying and I've already been doing it for months.

A small and diverse band of hobbyists steeped in the obscure languages of embedded systems has released its own custom firmware for a popular brand of cable modem, along with a technique for loading it -- a development that's already made life easier for uncappers and service squatters, and threatens to topple long-held assumptions about the privacy of cable modem communications.

Sigma is a delight, because it makes it simple to change the modem's configuration file -- the key to uncapping, and, on some systems, to getting free anonymous service using "unregistered" modems.

Offlineprefloppro
Last Call
    #4449939 - 07/25/05 11:52 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Very possible to have free cable internet. One of the best ways is to call a friend in the next city over and have him tell you his mac address. i myself have never done it, but it is very possible, so dont go talking out of your azz without knowing all the details..

It appears I will not be able to get my old hard drive to boot, somewhere along the line I must of dropped it because two pins have broke in the ide interface. Usually when this happens it will still boot, I am taking it to a jewelry maker so he can solder the pins back in place. Maybe so Maybe not.

Edited by prefloppro (07/25/05 11:55 AM)

doomedgeneration
 User Gallery

#4449983 - 07/25/05 12:09 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Cool enough, thanks though.

InvisibleParanoidAndroid
Dude
 User Gallery

#4451712 - 07/25/05 07:01 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

prefloppro said:
...so dont go talking out of your azz without knowing all the details..

"Also I dunno(Don't know/Do not know) how you could get cable internet without paying, as the isp needs your mac address registered in their system for you to get a connection."

As far as I know all of the local ISPs do need the MAC address on your modem to have you registered in their system.
And two of the same mac addresses registered in two different cities to the same ISP? IMO sound like a sure-fire way to get caught.
Then again, I am posting this from Washington DC and you may live somewhere where the technology hasn't caught up yet.

--------------------
Erowid
Every individual reacts differently to every chemical.
Know your Body - Know your Mind - Know your Substance - Know your Source.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Science and Technology