Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineNicolibroadcast
Stranger
concerned about contamination
    #4435306 - 07/21/05 07:43 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Very first attempt, kind of nervous because I didn't have a pressure cooker so I boiled/steamed some long grain white rice in pint jars for 1hr+ and attempted to be very sterile during inoculation. It has been 7 days and I am starting to see some mycelium but it appears like a really really light peachy color (mostly on the sides of the jars in the inoculation locations) and I was kind of concerned. If I were patient I would just wait and watch but sometimes I am not so if anybody has experienced similar I would appreciate your results.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineiateshaggy
i haxor 360s
Male User Gallery

Loc: 612 Warf Avenue, next to....
Re: concerned about contamination [Re: Nicolibroadcast]
    #4435949 - 07/21/05 10:31 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

plain rice? that was how i did my first grow too. it really sucked. most of the jars didn't even grow. one thing to look forward to though is if you made plain rice cakes, you can eat them or make tea when they finish producing if not contaminated.

--------------------
You are a filipina sex goddess who wants to fuck me until I fall asleep, so then you can tickle my balls and see if the legend of my diamond filled nutsuck is true.  I am a white man from costa rica, who smells like lime jello.

I can flash/jtag/repair 360's, pm for details.

OfflineNicolibroadcast
Stranger
Re: concerned about contamination [Re: iateshaggy]
    #4436027 - 07/21/05 10:51 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

did you notice any slight coloration at the inoculation points (peachy) I would take pictures but it not very easy to see

OfflineImpulse101
Stranger
 User Gallery
Loc: 2 paces west of the "big ...
Re: concerned about contamination [Re: Nicolibroadcast]
    #4436160 - 07/21/05 11:30 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

i had the same problem are you using jars? or drinkin glasses? is there foil on top or a sealed cover?

--------------------
"Take me koalas back jack... take my koalas back, he lives somwhere out on the track mack... so take me koalas back"

"Tie me kangaroo down sport, tie me kangaroon down!"

Offlineiateshaggy
i haxor 360s
Male User Gallery

Re: concerned about contamination [Re: Impulse101]
    #4436175 - 07/21/05 11:35 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

if these spots aren't big yet then you need to wait it out. when they get the size of quarters or so you will know. how did you inocc? please go into extreme detail.

p.s. get a pressure cooker. i have one and still get contams so how much success do you think you'll have with out one? i know it seems like a big investment but it is the most worth while piece of equipment you can buy in this hobby. i probably use my pc more than i use my cooking pots and pans.

--------------------
You are a filipina sex goddess who wants to fuck me until I fall asleep, so then you can tickle my balls and see if the legend of my diamond filled nutsuck is true.  I am a white man from costa rica, who smells like lime jello.

OfflineImpulse101
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #4436177 - 07/21/05 11:37 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

mine turned out not enough gas exchange and some of the mycelium died very slow colonization like a month and a week... the cake shrunk and wasnt touchign the glass anymore... im not sayin take off the top (i did that to one and the top got yellow? i dont know if it was contam or not the top (dry verm was taken over by mycelium my best jar! and the top turned yellow...) but the mycelium on the bottem was as white as can be... i just made sure theres breating holes in the lids.. id poke 4 holes if you didnt do so already

--------------------
"Take me koalas back jack... take my koalas back, he lives somwhere out on the track mack... so take me koalas back"

OfflineImpulse101
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #4436184 - 07/21/05 11:39 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

and do so take pics... if its hard to see it dosnt matter it still helps ALOT!

--------------------

OfflineNicolibroadcast
Stranger
    #4440424 - 07/22/05 10:09 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Here are some pics

during inoculation I was very clean sprayed lysol kept hands clean flamed sterilized needle on spore syringe. One thing I did do kind of different I cut out the front of a box to inoculate inside of and I put alum foil over the jars before the lids when I steam sterilized that way when I Innoc I could just take the lids off and poke through the alum foil. I think I am just a newbie being impatient and paranoid however I am now concerned about the air transfer and considering taking the lids off and just letting it breath through the innoc holes 4 per jar any comments are greatly appreciated

OfflineNicolibroadcast
Stranger
rules of gas exchange [Re: Nicolibroadcast]
    #4449212 - 07/25/05 12:40 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

if you have read the posts prior to this one I am curious what methods you employ for gas exchange. The way I do it with the alum foil under the lids and the inoc holes through that do you think it would be a good idea to take the lids off. Right now it is day nine and I have got rhizomorphic growth and about 10%+/- colonization. I guess I dont know why but it scares me to take the lids off (evil contams) any suggestions would be geatly appreciated

Offlineiateshaggy
i haxor 360s
Male User Gallery

Re: rules of gas exchange [Re: Nicolibroadcast]
    #4449649 - 07/25/05 05:44 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

is that white rice. i think we found the problem. i have seen a rice only tek but you MUST use brown rice. all things equal, the tek sucked. read up on the pf tek. get a pc. get some new spores if you already ran out and start over. as far as gas exchange goes, that hasn't been a problem for me until the jars are 50% colonized (using pint jars). then you can take the second layer off the top exposing the innoc holes (since they are already colonized and can fight off contams), then flip the jars upside down since co2 is heavier than o2. hope this helps.

--------------------

InvisibleFooMan
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Earth Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: rules of gas exchange [Re: iateshaggy]
    #4449884 - 07/25/05 09:34 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

iateshaggy said:
is that white rice. i think we found the problem. i have seen a rice only tek but you MUST use brown rice.

I think you can use white rice, but I've heard that the potency sucks ass because it doesn't have the right nutes in it like brown rice. Shaggy is right though. The rice only teks suck IME. Use the PF tek for better results. With the verm mixed in, the substrate retains more moisture, which mushrooms thrive on and are 90% comprised of. Using rice by itself is better if you are trying to avoid fruiting and just want to eat the myc cakes.

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

Offlineiateshaggy
i haxor 360s
Male User Gallery

Re: rules of gas exchange [Re: FooMan]
    #4450728 - 07/25/05 02:01 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

seriously, i have 2 cakes that each have as many shrooms as i got off of a dozen rice cakes. and fooman is right, the can make shrooms, but you could feed them to your mother without her knowing. maybe what you could do if those cakes do make myc. is let the myc. get the size of a whopper candy or a little bigger, then transfer only the myc. to a pf jar.

--------------------

OfflineBetaDelta
Stranger
Male
Re: rules of gas exchange [Re: iateshaggy]
    #4451271 - 07/25/05 03:40 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Worth a shot if you're desperate, Transfers don't always work as planed though from cakes,
Take care

OfflineNicolibroadcast
Stranger
exposing innoc holes [Re: BetaDelta]
    #4464492 - 07/28/05 12:31 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

After 50% colonization you can take top layer off and let breath through innoc holes. Just leave them in incubation chamber at 80d until full colonization? If a person was going to eat the cakes how would that compare to mushrooms (potency, quantity) Thanks for all the helpful info. I know white rice isn't the best but I was turned on to cultivating by an older friend and this was how he did it. I plan to experiment with whole grain brown rice and pf tek I just thought it would be a good way to learn start simple and experiment. I still have Ecuador and treasure coast liquid left to play with as soon as I get my PC let the fun begin. I have plans to try 6 whole grain brown rice vs 6 pf tek with the treasure coasts so then I will be able to make a decision on which I prefer. I am thinking about mixing some brf in with the whole brown rice cakes on 3 of 6 just to see if that would do anything.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder