Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinesocialnorm77
forager
 User Gallery

Loc: north east
yesterday from NH (pics & guesses)
    #4432875 - 07/21/05 10:33 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

The heat/humidity finally broke here yesterday. There have been a few scattered thunderstorms the last few days, giving enough rain to keep things interesting, but certainly not a real good soaking. The full moon last night was amazing, I went for a small hike in the middle of the night. (no flashlight needed) I'm still finding small patches of chanterelles, and some of my normal spots have already had a second flush. (though the amount and quality is alot less than a week or two ago.
So here are some of the more photogenic specimans from the last few days.
Again these are just my guesses. I would like to thank Toxic-Man and mattymonkey, for helping point me in the right direction on some of my Id's and an accurate price/ pound for my work. (which consists of pretty much walking aimlessly around the woods for hours at a time)

Climacodon Septenrionale (northern tooth, pretty common, growing at the base of a living maple)

parasites are starting to pop up as well. The first one is Hypomyces lactifluorum (lobster Mushroom) and I think the second one is Hypomyces Chlorinigenus, (growing off a bolete Tylopilus Chromapes)?

Clitocybe Gibba

Suillius Pictus

Heres a good one, Hydnum Repandum Var. Album (Quelete) Rea

Clavulinopsis Fusiformis

This one is most likely a type of Psathyrella (spore print didn't take)

My buest guess on this one is Boletus Pallidus. It was completley snow white before I touched it. Bluing was instant

Boletus Subvelutipes: Though only a slight red reticulation about half way up the stem. Bluing was instant

Yellow foot chant gill macro.

And a coral perhaps Clavulina Cristata or Ramariopsis Kunzei?

So at what point does a Mycology hobby become an obsession? haha
I know none of these are actives, but I could really care less.I still look though (it's not like theres alot of those around here anyway) To me, I enjoy discovering something new everyday, just getting out there in the woods hiking, using my brain, and creativity, to try and figure out the enigmatic personalties of the fungi kingdom. Okay, I ramble.
Please Let me know if you enjoy these general mycology posts, thanks for the views- Norm Social

Edited by socialnorm77 (07/21/05 04:01 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinenycomyco
Stranger

Loc: PA
Re: yesterday from NH (pics & guesses) [Re: socialnorm77]
    #4433011 - 07/21/05 11:03 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Great pictures. did you end up eating the hedgehog? They are pretty tasty.

Offlinesocialnorm77
forager
 User Gallery

Re: yesterday from NH (pics & guesses) [Re: nycomyco]
    #4433096 - 07/21/05 11:32 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

No, I'm drying them for further study. The smell of these are not like the more common hedgehogs. It smells more like hydnellums do. that clay, earthy, pungent smell. sort of like st. georges (not sure of the latin)
Hydnum Repandum, and Hydum umbilicatum both grow here as well, but I haven't seen any yet. I was actually surprised to find this little patch, I left most of them there to continue growing and doing their thing.

Offlinesocialnorm77
forager
 User Gallery

#4434215 - 07/21/05 03:57 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

some better lobster today

Offlinemattymonkey
Feel Like aStranger...
 User Gallery

#4435787 - 07/21/05 09:49 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

beautiful pics norm! man those lobsters are amazing... i hope to find some of them this year, they seemed like a hard one to ID, but now that i see them it seems like its pretty straitforward..

cool parasites! :wink: gl on future hunts.. please post pics of the american matsutake when you find it! is that a later fall thing?
peace

--------------------
"listening for the secret.. searching for the sound.."

Offlinesocialnorm77
forager
 User Gallery

Re: yesterday from NH (pics & guesses) [Re: mattymonkey]
    #4437574 - 07/22/05 10:25 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

yeah, lobster mushrooms are some of my favorites, I'm always a little leary though about them, only because it is sometimes difficult to identify the host. That last picture especially. (it's not like the rest.) The research I have doesn't give difinitve answers to whether or not a non-edible host can be infected. I think Arora says some where that even though it's not known for sure , no one has ever died from eating a lobster mush.
matsutake is probably one of my favorite mush to hunt. From my experience it likes hemlock, and that sandy gravely/ mossy type areas that line mountainside brooks. Its kind of hard to describe it, you just know it when you see it. The spot i'm picking chants right now looks like a perfect matsi spot. But I will have to wait. Matsi's are one of if not the last edible that grows during the season here. This year I will begin looking towards the end of Sept. Though depending on temp and conditions, all of Oct. is potential even into early Nov. Most research on Matsi's is of the PNW variety. Those it is said only
grow when the ground temp reaches about 46f. That seems to hold true to here as well, but I've never measured it.
oh yeah they stink too. The best way to identify this mushroom is by smelling it. Again I think it was Arora that said it was a cross between cinnamon red hots and dirty socks. He is right.

OfflineSkater00
Stranger
    #4441839 - 07/23/05 06:29 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

socialnorm77 said:
I know none of these are actives, but I could really care less.I still look though (it's not like theres alot of those around here anyway) To me, I enjoy discovering something new everyday, just getting out there in the woods hiking, using my brain, and creativity, to try and figure out the enigmatic personalties of the fungi kingdom. Okay, I ramble.
Please Let me know if you enjoy these general mycology posts, thanks for the views- Norm Social

You say that there's not a lot of actives around here. I've been searching for a while and have yet to come across a single person or study that found actives in NH. Please tell me that you've found some before.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies