Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineNewbieS
User of semicolons.
Male User Gallery

Loc: SoCal
Syringe is OK, I'm ready to inoculate...?'s of course
    #4434055 - 07/21/05 03:21 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

OK I have a total of 10 jars. A couple cracked during sterilization but I'll attempt a grow in some of them that aren't too bad.

1)I'll prolly end up filling some jars up with more than 1cc, is that OK?

2)Should I pry off the tape from one hole at a time, inoculate it, then cover it back up and move to next hole?

3)Is heating necessary or will a quick wipe of alcohol suffice. And if I use alcohol and it touches the needle tip, it won't kill spores on their way out will it?

4)Add suggestions here:

Thanks guys...getting closer to having my first set!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleImOver18
FormerlyMr.Sleep

Re: Syringe is OK, I'm ready to inoculate...?'s of course [Re: Newbie]
    #4434173 - 07/21/05 03:47 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

1.) It's okay, not necessary though.
2.) You can do this, quickly tape back over it though with the tape, covering the hole as you remove the needle.
3.) You can use alcohol, 70%+ isopropyl will work, make sure you don't drench it though. It may kill spores, but not a significant amount of them.
4.) Good luck with the cracked ones, might want to tape around the sides of the cracked jars to make sure they don't fall apart or anything.

OfflineNewbieS
User of semicolons.
Male User Gallery

Re: Syringe is OK, I'm ready to inoculate...?'s of course [Re: ImOver18]
    #4434197 - 07/21/05 03:54 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

The cracks are still small and tight, no signs or water leakage or anything so I think they're ok. Thanks for the advice too, j/w if anyone has ordered from sporeworks before because I looked at the needle and its very thick on the end, much thicker than the nail holes I punched on the lid. The kit said something about me having to possibly assemble the needle tip itself...I'm guessing it's in the taped cardboard square in the syringe bag and I have to screw it on?

Edited by Newbie (07/21/05 03:54 PM)

InvisibleImOver18
FormerlyMr.Sleep

#4434209 - 07/21/05 03:57 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Sporeworks is the shit. First spores my friend ever got were from them. You just have to screw the needle onto the actual syringe body. If the needle is thicker than the holes you punched, try using larger nails to very carefully push the holes in the lid open wider, that's probably your best bet. Do you have foil under the lids? If you do, just take the lids off completely and put rubberbands over the foil to hold it on the jar and then inoculate through the foil, and just keep the metal ring bands on and save the lids for your next grow.

OfflineNewbieS
User of semicolons.
Male User Gallery

#4434237 - 07/21/05 04:02 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Well the needle is fully assembled, but the needle is WAY too thick for the holes. Can I sterilize a piece of tin foil with lysol or something and QUICKLY cover the jars then inoculate? Dammit all that time spent punching all those holes lol.

InvisibleImOver18
FormerlyMr.Sleep

#4434265 - 07/21/05 04:08 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

It's risky, you could try it, I wouldn't recommend it though. You mean it's just your jar with lids and no foil under the lids?

OfflineNewbieS
User of semicolons.
Male User Gallery

#4434284 - 07/21/05 04:12 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Yes, I used the basic pf tech, when I sterilized I put the foil over the lids but I just trashed the foil. It didn't call for foil under the lid:(, and reopening the holes with thicker nails is more of a risk for contamination than sterilizing more foil and putting it over it the second the lid comes off. Now once I have the foil on, can i just jab the needle through the foil to inoculate? And once inoculated and open holes are in foil, how should I cover them up to keep it closed?

InvisibleImOver18
FormerlyMr.Sleep

#4434297 - 07/21/05 04:13 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

How much thicker is the needle than the holes? Would it be possible to push the needle through the holes to make it wider? Or is the size of the hole significantly smaller than the size of the needle?

OfflineNewbieS
User of semicolons.
Male User Gallery

#4434325 - 07/21/05 04:18 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Needle's just about this thick: ||

Holes are about as big as you see in the tek pics, thin, general sized nail (look at the . button on your keyboard, its just about that thick maybe a little thicker)

I suppose I COULD try to squeeze it in, but I wouldn't wanna snap the needle (despite how thick it is)

EDIT: type that same || in the posting area...the text is wider there than the forum displayed it to be, and that's the correct thickness I'm talking about.

Edited by Newbie (07/21/05 04:20 PM)

InvisibleImOver18
FormerlyMr.Sleep

#4434356 - 07/21/05 04:22 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Try squeezing it in with one jar and see how that works, if it feels like it'll snap, don't push it. But your other options are a lot less likely to work in my opinion as exposing the jars to air is a bad idea overall. If you have the extra materials you might want to re-do this batch I'm sorry to say, but if I were in your shoes that's what I'd do. If you spent money on a good spore syringe, there's no sense in wasting it.

OfflineNewbieS
User of semicolons.
Male User Gallery

#4434398 - 07/21/05 04:28 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I guess I'll try to squeeze it in, I mean if it feels like it's going to break I'll prolly build a glove box and try the tin foil, I'll do anything I can just to get SOMETHING ya know?

Invisiblemyndreach
philosopher
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #4434402 - 07/21/05 04:29 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

NewbieShroomie said:
OK I have a total of 10 jars. A couple cracked during sterilization but I'll attempt a grow in some of them that aren't too bad.

1)I'll prolly end up filling some jars up with more than 1cc, is that OK?

Yes...the more you put in, the faster it will colonize. However, too much will introduce too much water, which will give an entrance for contams. I try and put 2ccs in...any more than that may overdo it.

Quote:

2)Should I pry off the tape from one hole at a time, inoculate it, then cover it back up and move to next hole?

Sure. I usually leave the tape on until growth is seen, and once there is growth, take all the tape off to allow for better gas exchange. This is all assuming you have a dry layer of verm, of course.

Quote:

3)Is heating necessary or will a quick wipe of alcohol suffice. And if I use alcohol and it touches the needle tip, it won't kill spores on their way out will it?

I never wipe or sterlize the needle after each inoculation. Just before I start the whole process. I know most disagree, but using this method I've only seen 3 out of 24 jars get contamed. A wipe with alcohol is good I guess, just give it a few seconds to evaporate before innoculating again.

Sterlize the nail you used to put the holes in the jar lid, push it back in, and wiggle it back and forth a bunch. This will make the hole a bit bigger.

Edited by myndreach (07/21/05 04:30 PM)

Invisibleactionshroom
RookieMycologist

Syringe is OK, I'm ready to inoculate...?'s of course [Re: myndreach]
    #4434422 - 07/21/05 04:33 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Why don't you buy a smaller needle?

OfflineBoringNickName
Stranger
Re: Syringe is OK, I'm ready to inoculate...?'s of course [Re: actionshroom]
    #4434995 - 07/21/05 06:34 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

With my method, I don't punch the holes until after I sterilize my jars, surely you can clean a nail and use that to make the holes large enough.

OfflineNewbieS
User of semicolons.
Male User Gallery

Re: Syringe is OK, I'm ready to inoculate...?'s of course [Re: BoringNickName]
    #4435316 - 07/21/05 07:45 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I guess I'll try that too, I guess just torch the nail for a while the drive that sucker through?

InvisibleImOver18
FormerlyMr.Sleep

#4435336 - 07/21/05 07:50 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Torch it just to sterilize it, then push it gently through, don't put it futher into the jar then you need to, that'll only risk contaming it.

Offlineiloathu
Spiffo theLamblancer
    #4435813 - 07/21/05 09:58 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

goodluck,i'm not sure but it might expand a bit when it colonizes the brf and break the cracks but im no expert
next time put a small plate on the bottom of the pc...i did last night and it broke but it saved my jars still
what strain you doing?

Invisibleactionshroom
RookieMycologist

Syringe is OK, I'm ready to inoculate...?'s of course [Re: iloathu]
    #4437309 - 07/22/05 08:16 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I suggest purchasing a thinner needle.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds