Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, HEPA Filter, Perlite, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleNewbie
User of semicolons.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Suburbia
Finished Sterilization, do my next plans sound good?
    #4432449 - 07/21/05 10:40 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Sterilization was completed to the best of my current ability.  Jars are cooling in the fridge and waiting for inoculation 2morrow.  I had a total of 10 jars sterilized including 3 with tiny cracks in the jars :frown:

Once it's time to birth it, I plan on getting a 10 gal aquarium w/ a humidifier/air purifier attached for 7 or 8 of my cakes, and I plan to attempt a casing on 2 or 3 of my cakes.  I'll be reading about it constantly to get a better idea of how to grow a good yield, but I need to know if just an aquarium and humidifier are sufficient.  It eliminates fanning/air exchange altogether right?  So all I really would have to do is watch it grow and harvest when it's ready?  Any little tid-bits you can throw in are greatly appreciated and will be added to my grow guide I'm compiling :grin:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibletripndicular
My Minds Eye IsRhizomorphic

Loc: Bowels of HELL
Re: Finished Sterilization, do my next plans sound good? [Re: Newbie]
    #4432513 - 07/21/05 11:07 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Sticking hot jars in fridge is bad idea , assuming from what you said , that's what you did and is why jars cracked. Too rapid of a cooling will cause this.
Those jars that cracked are most likely going to become contaminated. No promises there but chances are greater , I have in the past had decent luck using cracked jars , but I always taped the cracks as soon as they formed to reduce chances of air being sucked in and bringing in contams.

NO,your setup will still require some fanning , unless you have a hole in the bottom of the tank with some sort of filter. C02 can and will slowly build up in a closed environment. CO2 is a gas that is heavier than O2 so a hole in bottom allows it a place to escape as O2 is pumped into the chamber. So plan on some fanning unless you bought one of those tanks designed for reptile breeding.
Depending on humidification system , and strain(some are thirstier IMHO)and ambient Rh in grow room you
are growing , you may also still have to mist periodically.
GL hope this helps .
Trip n D

--------------------
Any information I give is not intended to aide you in the production of potentialy illegal substances !None of my exp comes from growing illegal varities , so take it as you will .
So with that said here is our mission statement .

Then the priest fell into a trance or swoon,& said unto the Queen of heaven ; Write unto us the ordeals; write unto us the rituals; write unto us the law !

InvisibleNewbie
User of semicolons.
Male User Gallery

Re: Finished Sterilization, do my next plans sound good? [Re: tripndicular]
    #4432530 - 07/21/05 11:12 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

The jars cracked during the heating process, way before they got to the fridge, and the refridged onces are cooling well with no cracks:) Thanks for the tips on the aquariums, I might just buy a reptile aquarium, hell, if it saves me some extra work I might not have time for, I'm all for it:-) Funny thing however, the humidifier I plan on buying is made for reptile aquariums! lol

also, when I buy a bulb for it, I know I need blue but is it a blue coated bulb or is it a regular bulb but with certain specifications?

Edited by Newbie (07/21/05 11:16 AM)

Invisibletripndicular
My Minds Eye IsRhizomorphic

Loc: Bowels of HELL
Re: Finished Sterilization, do my next plans sound good? [Re: Newbie]
    #4432563 - 07/21/05 11:23 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Sorry for the assumtion as to when you placed jars in fridge.

TROPIC AIRE , is that what you are planning on using ? Those work real good IMHO , I use one and have it hooked up to multiple tanks works great at keeping rh up , but still have to mist especially between flushes when substrate dries up.
You still need to plan some time to maintain and care for the children  , if you neglect them ...the MUSHROOM GODDESS will punish you  :wink:

GL
May The Mushroom Goddess Bless All Your Endeavors!
Trip n D

PS regular old lite bulb works just fine.

--------------------
Any information I give is not intended to aide you in the production of potentialy illegal substances !None of my exp comes from growing illegal varities , so take it as you will .
So with that said here is our mission statement .

Then the priest fell into a trance or swoon,& said unto the Queen of heaven ; Write unto us the ordeals; write unto us the rituals; write unto us the law !

InvisibleNewbie
User of semicolons.
Male User Gallery

Re: Finished Sterilization, do my next plans sound good? [Re: tripndicular]
    #4432803 - 07/21/05 12:16 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Lol oh trust me I'll be lookin at em and caring for them every day, but it would be nice to have something that I can trust to keep most of the conditions constant...varmiculite or perlite and water seems like it needs a lot of maintenance to get a good flush going. I'll look into that brand too...is it sold at regular pet stores and if so how much for a 10 gallon tank? Also, will a Tropic Aire take care of the humidity too or is it just for fresh air? I've read people using that AND a humidifier but I didn't think that was necessary?

Edited by Newbie (07/21/05 12:38 PM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, HEPA Filter, Perlite, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation