Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

PhytoExtractum Shop: Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMobius_Strip
Distant Relative
 User Gallery

Loc: Spangladesh
Glovebox is royally F@#$% - Epoxy Resin... HELP!
    #4429716 - 07/20/05 06:13 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Anyone know anything about epoxy resins? I coated my wooden glovebox in epoxy a few days ago. The temp was so hot it was curing before I could even apply it. I did a stupid thing...I decreased the amount of hardener to slow down the drying time. It worked...too well. Three days later the epoxy coating is still tacky, unsandable and fucked! Does anyone know if this thing will ever cure or will I have to strip and refinish? The instructions don't say anything about this. I used the BONDO brand of resin from Homme' Depot. I went to the BONDO site and found no instructions or FAQ's. I wrote the BONDO company and got no reply... I'm about to develop a really bad case of Tourette's ~!@#$%^&*!!!!!!!!!!!

Can I recoat it with the proper mixture?

I'd really hate to smash this thing with a hammer and throw it away since I spent so much time planning and building it!

--------------------
The smart way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of acceptable opinion, but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - even encourage the more critical and dissident views. That gives people the sense that there's free thinking going on, while all the time the presuppositions of the system are being reinforced by the limits put on the range of the debate
-Noam Chomsky

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblerod
Ψ
 User Gallery

Re: Glovebox is royally F@#$% - Epoxy Resin... HELP! [Re: Mobius_Strip]
    #4429892 - 07/20/05 06:46 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Do you have a hair dryer or a heat gun you can use on high heat and maybe make this start curing. I know what you mean, when I use this kind of stuff at work I have to add less, but then I take a heatgun to it?

InvisiblePsychoslut
The Mother Fucking Bear-o-dactyl
 User Gallery
Loc: all up in ya
    #4429913 - 07/20/05 06:51 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Go over it all again with another coat, with the correct amount of hardener, in the coolest spot you can find, maybe the basement.

--------------------

[quote]KristiMidocean said:
Good now thats clear.WHO FUCKING CARES. If I am fat u all keep pointing it out like its suppose to be a secret.LIke u really have nothing better to do then make fat jokes. If o know its like I do I know yall can come up with NEW AND BETTER SHIT . This shit is old and boring . I left in the first place cause this shit got boring not because of the fat jokes . Fat jokes dont bother me but seriously its old[/quote]

OfflineMobius_Strip
Distant Relative
 User Gallery

Re: Glovebox is royally F@#$% - Epoxy Resin... HELP! [Re: Psychoslut]
    #4429980 - 07/20/05 07:05 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Rod:
I've been leaving it out in the hottest part of the day hoping it would help and so far 100-115 deg heat hasn't done much. I havn't tried a hair dryer yet. I don't have a heat gun. This works for you? Is it just heat that it requires to cure?

Psychslut:
Have you done this before? I've been told by another person this will not work.

--------------------
The smart way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of acceptable opinion, but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - even encourage the more critical and dissident views. That gives people the sense that there's free thinking going on, while all the time the presuppositions of the system are being reinforced by the limits put on the range of the debate
-Noam Chomsky

InvisiblePsychoslut
The Mother Fucking Bear-o-dactyl
 User Gallery
Loc: all up in ya
    #4429985 - 07/20/05 07:07 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I called a guy that has 30 years construction exp. thats what he said to do.

--------------------

[quote]KristiMidocean said:
Good now thats clear.WHO FUCKING CARES. If I am fat u all keep pointing it out like its suppose to be a secret.LIke u really have nothing better to do then make fat jokes. If o know its like I do I know yall can come up with NEW AND BETTER SHIT . This shit is old and boring . I left in the first place cause this shit got boring not because of the fat jokes . Fat jokes dont bother me but seriously its old[/quote]

Offlinemattymonkey
Feel Like aStranger...
 User Gallery

#4429992 - 07/20/05 07:10 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

beautiful setup btw man! really nice job w/ the carpentry

OfflineMobius_Strip
Distant Relative
 User Gallery

Re: Glovebox is royally F@#$% - Epoxy Resin... HELP! [Re: Psychoslut]
    #4429993 - 07/20/05 07:11 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Cool,
Just wanted to be sure since I had conflicting reports.

--------------------
-Noam Chomsky

Invisiblerod
Ψ
 User Gallery

#4430160 - 07/20/05 07:48 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

the hardner sets up a chemical reaction, which causes heat to form,
and set. the resin I use is the stuff thats 2 tubes squeezed out together at the same time, and then mixed together, but there is a
certain amount of hardner that has to be used,or it might never cure.

OfflineMobius_Strip
Distant Relative
 User Gallery

Re: Glovebox is royally F@#$% - Epoxy Resin... HELP! [Re: rod]
    #4430636 - 07/20/05 09:57 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks Matt,
It's 1/2" baltic birch and 1/4" plexi. I used to be cabinetmaker so it came pretty naturally for me to make it from wood.

I'll use 4" PVC duct for the arm holes. The staging box on the left is a double door system for sterylizing objects before they go into the glovebox. It will be a pos pressure glovebox, if I ever get this resin thing worked out that is. Otherwise, I'm smashing the fuck out of it and remaking the whole thing out out of plexi. I would have done that to begin with but the wood and shop access cost me nothing whereas 1/4" plexi would have been a small fortune.

I can't believe I made such a stupid mistake! I guess I'll know for next time. The product I used is a liquid epoxy resin (BONDO brand) and you add small drops of liquid hardener to the mix to make it cure. Next time I'll use the slow-set hardener if I can find it locally.

--------------------
-Noam Chomsky

Offlinered914
Minion
Loc: Utah
    #4431143 - 07/20/05 11:38 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Get some rubbing alcohol and wipe the area down, use lots, it will desolve the uncurred resins. Let it dry outside. You can use a small amount of alcohol to thin epoxy once it is mixed, just don't wait too long. That way it will soak in if you are using that really thick glue type stuff. I use that floor coating epoxy from home depot. Comes in the two part bottles. It sets in about 2 hrs, faster if it is over 80 f. otherwise, just like the tube glue but slower. Measure epoxy carefully, does not take much unequal mix to give you the sticky mess. Once clean, recoat, it will be just like new. Your not screwed.

Invisibledeanofmean
mycophagous

Loc: PNW
Re: Glovebox is royally F@#$% - Epoxy Resin... HELP! [Re: red914]
    #4431307 - 07/21/05 12:07 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

if alcohol doesn't cut it try acetone, or finger nail polish remover.

OfflineMobius_Strip
Distant Relative
 User Gallery

Re: Glovebox is royally F@#$% - Epoxy Resin... HELP! [Re: deanofmean]
    #4431428 - 07/21/05 12:26 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks,
I'll try both alcohol and acetone. I was hoping I wouldn't have to strip it. It will take me as long to strip it as it would to build a new one.

I'll see what alcohol does first, I know from finishing cabinets how nasty acetone is. One time I had habanero juice on my hands from eating lunch, I cut them up and put them on my tacos... I went back to work to finish a cabinet and got acetone under my gloves. The acetone carried the habanero juice into my hands and it fucking burned for hours. It felt like it burned down to the bone. I've never felt anything like that, LOL. You gotta' be careful with that shit.
Thanks for the suggestions!

--------------------
-Noam Chomsky

OfflineHotnuts
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Wild Blue Yawnder
    #4432419 - 07/21/05 08:33 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Man honestly, Liquid Nails works great and gives you time to work before it's set. Works nice on plastics and about every other kind of material there is.

OfflineMobius_Strip
Distant Relative
 User Gallery

Re: Glovebox is royally F@#$% - Epoxy Resin... HELP! [Re: Hotnuts]
    #4432714 - 07/21/05 09:55 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I hear you on the liquid nails.
Although it seems too gummy to me and I don't like the aesthetic. I'm sure that seems rediculous since we're talkin' about a functional piece but if I have to look at it every day I don't want to see beige gummy shit plastered all over it. Thanks for the idea though.

--------------------
-Noam Chomsky

Offlinered914
Minion
Loc: Utah
    #4433079 - 07/21/05 11:25 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I use epoxy to seal steel on cars after sanding to metal. Sometimes... I get in a hurry and do a bad mix and there is nothing like looking at a Porsche covered with sticky goo. As Acetone is the solvent for Polyester (fibre glass), wussy old alcohol is the solvent for Epoxy. It will not cut set epoxy, but deals with the uncured mess. Use a rag!!! not paper towel. I tried the heat, and if I really screw up, does not work at all.
I'm just sayen... Ive lived through this mess a couple of times and this is what works. After wiping, it will still feel gummy. The next coat of epoxy will set flinty hard, if ya mix it very well, exact proportions, and scrape the sides! (we get lazy with modern mixes) I usually hit it with the air body sander at that point to take it flat as cars must be perfect, or the clear coat looks crappy! Great looking box! don't stop now!

OfflineMobius_Strip
Distant Relative
 User Gallery

Re: Glovebox is royally F@#$% - Epoxy Resin... HELP! [Re: red914]
    #4433416 - 07/21/05 12:46 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Unfortunately I think I am using polyester (It says "All purpose fiberglass resin" on the can) I say "Epoxy" in the lightest sense just bacause that's what I'm used to calling anything that comes in at least two parts and is mixed to cure.

So far I tried:
1. Sanding: It starts to ripple and gets dirty
2. Rubbing alcohol: Just streaks the surface with no marked removal of said resins. I think it's too cured already for alcohol.
3. Blow dryer (10-15 min in one spot): Too hot to touch. After it cooled it was still too tacky to sand.

Next I'll try Acetone. I have to wait until later to procure some.

The tacky surface collected some wonderful pine needles yesterday when I left it out in the sun. Now I can't just resurface it until I get the dirt and needles out. This thing has become royal pain in the ass!! I guess that'll teach me not to think and read up before I do something new. I thought I knew it all! Damn me!

Good thing this is a prototype anyway. The next one will definitely be built from Plexi. Fuck this polyester resin shit!

--------------------
-Noam Chomsky

OfflineHotnuts
old hand
 User Gallery

#4433520 - 07/21/05 01:12 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

IMO, it's not as bad as you'd think. Just use it cleanly and it looks ok. But, I feel ya! I'm a bit anal as well. It was just handy at the time. I was bit sloppy actually! LOL

Edited by hotnutz (07/21/05 01:13 PM)

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Glovebox is royally F@#$% - Epoxy Resin... HELP! [Re: Hotnuts]
    #4433546 - 07/21/05 01:19 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

When I built sub boxes, I used that stuff a number of times...I've made the same mistake. I went back over it with the correct ratio though to give it a nice hardened cover and that worked fine. It was a little different since I was building on it, so maybe thicker layers of it? Should still work though.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

OfflineHotnuts
old hand
 User Gallery

Re: Glovebox is royally F@#$% - Epoxy Resin... HELP! [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4433716 - 07/21/05 02:06 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

scatmanrav said:
When I built sub boxes, I used that stuff a number of times...I've made the same mistake. I went back over it with the correct ratio though to give it a nice hardened cover and that worked fine. It was a little different since I was building on it, so maybe thicker layers of it? Should still work though.

Did some installing aye? Me too. For a # of years. I loved it and am starting to again.

Edited by hotnutz (07/21/05 02:07 PM)

OfflineMobius_Strip
Distant Relative
 User Gallery

Re: Glovebox is royally F@#$% - Epoxy Resin... HELP! [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4433756 - 07/21/05 02:16 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

hotnutz
I looked over all of the designs on this board carefully (including yours) before deciding on my own. I went with what I had (wood) because I could and I wanted a compact and more permanent combination of both the flow hood design and a glove box. I think this thing will be a good compromise in both directions if I can get it going. The next one will definitely be made of 100% plexi though.

Thanks Scatman,
With all the great suggestions I think I've reached a good compromise. I'll try scraping the surface with a razor scraper to get the dirt off. I've razored a small section and it seems to be working ok. Then I'll coat it with the proper ratio. This time I'll use a resin system with slow set hardener. Like this one (the price is right):
http://www.mrfiberglass.com/mrfiberglass_epoxy.html

--------------------
-Noam Chomsky

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

PhytoExtractum Shop: Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder