Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisibleflowstone
blustering

Loc: precious
Georgia Oysters!!
    #4428966 - 07/20/05 03:21 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Well, they are finally here. Looks like they don't like to fruit when it's a swamp storm up to the neck. They wait until it calms down a day or two to show their pretty face. What an amazing ten days, ehh Georgia!?!? 40 pounds of chanterelles and countless others I can say this year will be remembered as the summer of mushrooms.
Back to the oysters. I am very delighted to find them, as I have never eaten or found these before. The time was just ripe because some were still mild and young, while others on the log had developed to full size. They were on a rotting log down by the Chattahoochee, and they are the only ones I have seen in the past 10 days after searching TONS of wild lands here in N-GA(probably 15-20 miles of hiking/bike riding)
From what I know, they can be cultivated, but I am looking foreword to frying some up and seeing how flavorful they are. I imagine the season is just kicking off for these bad boys.
As far as chanterelles go, the megaplex is over, and right now is the tail end. Very few new ones are coming up, and most of the previous ones from the large fruiting on 7/15-7/17 have started to decay. None the less I picked about two pounds of nice fresh ones today along with two pounds of nice oysters.
Eat up, and happy shroomin
:scaryshroom:

--------------------
these long agonizing months without you...have been long and agonizing..
"War Doesn't Decide Who's Right... It Only Decides Who's Left."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleflowstone
blustering

Re: Georgia Oysters!! [Re: flowstone]
    #4429620 - 07/20/05 05:51 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Reported Health Benefits: Oyster mushrooms are best known medically for their cardiovascular and cholesterol-controlling benefits. Oyster mushrooms contain mevinolin and related compounds which are potent competitive inhibitors of HMG CoA reductase (3-hydroxy-3-methyl-glutaryl coenzyme A reductuctase), the major rate limiting enzyme in cholesterol biosynthesis. In addition, they have been shown to have activity in the following:

* Antitumor
* Immune response
* Anti-inflammatory
* Antiviral
* Antibiotic

Looks like these might actually be good for me.. I'm about to fry some of these up. I will report back with taste and texture details.

--------------------

Offlinemattymonkey
Feel Like aStranger...
 User Gallery

#4429630 - 07/20/05 05:53 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

nice flow! found some oysters myself today.. not that many but im still stoked! bout to clone em, got the petri's cooling...

do you cultivate at all? its a neat hobby when these things arent fruiting on their own...

sounds like you are having a great season man.. gj :smile:

have fun w/ the food :smile: :peace:

Invisibleflowstone
blustering

Re: Georgia Oysters!! [Re: mattymonkey]
    #4429948 - 07/20/05 06:57 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Ya dude, this is an amazing year.

I don't cultivate actives or gourmets, or anything really. But I try to find everything I can..
I am REALLY looking foreword to 'chicken of the woods' 'lobster' and 'hen' mushrooms. Can anyone comment if these grow in Georgia? I can't find any conclusive evidence.

By the way, oysters are not very strong flavored at all, but they are VERY tasty dipped in eggs then a batter, then fried on the stove with some olive. And I do mean DAMN TASTY :grin:
They are meager compared to the almost overpowering flavor of the chanterelles. Which by the way, are way better stir fryed than deep fried.
Happy hunting :sun:

--------------------

Offlinemattymonkey
Feel Like aStranger...
 User Gallery

#4429983 - 07/20/05 07:06 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

here's something fun to try.. ever found the pheasant back? they make great batter when dried.. they grow so huge also, but are usually not the best when they get that big... so you dry em, and powder em, and use em as you would any flour... mmmm :wink:

last year we dried some chanterelles and used them as seasoning.. they ARE potently tasty eh! :smile:

good luck with the chickens and hens.. shouldnt be too hard to ID those.. lobsters seem tough though, but not impossible!

you need to get a camera or something man! wanna see pics of all these :smile:

OfflineBetaDelta
Stranger
Male
    #4430211 - 07/20/05 08:02 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I think once people start to get over the "ew all mushrooms grow in poo...their worthless!" idea and actually look at them, they will start to find all sorts of health benefits!
Take care

Invisibleflowstone
blustering

#4431773 - 07/21/05 01:48 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

mattymonkey said:
last year we dried some chanterelles and used them as seasoning.. they ARE potently tasty eh! :smile:

Great stuff! Looks like I can find a use for all those 'bits and pieces' after cleaning a mushroom to cook. I think that is an excellent culinary idea and I can't wait to try it. Speaking of, can anyone comment if mushrooms loose their nutritional value over time when dried, much as an active mushroom decays psilocybin? What is the best method of storage for dry mushrooms, and will the freezer be better than the pantry?

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds