Home | Community | Message Board

Shroom Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds   Amazon Coir, Peat

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineBenKenobi
Enlightened 1
 User Gallery

Loc: Europe
Geting Moisture to an Overlayed Casing...
    #4426581 - 07/20/05 03:19 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Well ive just recently made my first casing and using Coir i let it colinise the surface a bit too much. Its pinning atm and quite well by the looks of it (for a newbs first grow) but im concerened when the shrooms start to grow i wont be able to get the water to them that they will need.

I do the occasional mist atm (not directly at the casing) and i have noticed the tiny lil water droplets sit on top of the casing rather than seem to be getin absorbed. I was thinkin of maybe pokin a couple holes into the casing and using a straw or soemthing to put small amounts of water in at a time as the shrooms start to grow.

Is this a stupid idea?

Here is what it looked like yesterday:

cheers

--------------------
Old Ben

I beleive that my job in mappin the impulse pathways of a single neuron can allow us to open a mecca into the quailitative functions of the human geno...

Please support your local free spore ring by sendin back prints from successful grows, FSRE

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineBlue Helix
bold hand
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Geting Moisture to an Overlayed Casing... [Re: BenKenobi]
    #4426607 - 07/20/05 03:25 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Yeah, you hit the problem on the head with overlay, moisture delivery. Coir is an overlay problem waiting to happen in my experience. Learn how to use peat moss next time and kiss overlay goodbye.

OfflineGNIOM1498
Death Cup
 User Gallery

Loc: My home is where my spiri...
Re: Geting Moisture to an Overlayed Casing... [Re: Blue Helix]
    #4426633 - 07/20/05 03:32 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

just let it go for right now. But once your done with that flush I would scrap(I Had the most success scraping) after first flushes a lot more pins and you should be fine.

--------------------

----ALL MY POSTS ARE FICTIONAL-------

OfflineBenKenobi
Enlightened 1
 User Gallery

Re: Geting Moisture to an Overlayed Casing... [Re: Blue Helix]
    #4426662 - 07/20/05 03:40 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Yer ive mixed some peat moss and calcium hydroxide to my recent casing mix and on the casing ive recently made with it ive noticed that its taken quite a lot longer to colinise. I was a bit worried it still might run through the casin so i fruited it a bit early but i feared it was a bit too early cos can only see a tiny bit of myc through the casin after being fruited for 2days. Oh well all part of the learnin process hey.

Any thoughts on tryin to get moisture to the current coir casing, ive heard about scratchin after the 1st flush and applyin another thin layer of casing mix to improve the 2nd flush but what can i do to try and make the first flush as 'successful' as possible.  :confused:

--------------------
Old Ben

I beleive that my job in mappin the impulse pathways of a single neuron can allow us to open a mecca into the quailitative functions of the human geno...

Please support your local free spore ring by sendin back prints from successful grows, FSRE

OfflineBenKenobi
Enlightened 1
 User Gallery

Re: Geting Moisture to an Overlayed Casing... [Re: GNIOM1498]
    #4426695 - 07/20/05 03:54 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

hehe beat me to it.

Why i got ya here, when u do a scratchin what happens to all the lil primordia and tiny pins that havent grown, do u just scratch into these as well and they wont mind?
cheers.

--------------------
Old Ben

OfflineGNIOM1498
Death Cup
 User Gallery

#4427012 - 07/20/05 05:27 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

you don't scratch when there growing. You would scratch after a flush or before one starts.

--------------------

OfflineSmallworlds
Trippin' fool -Merry Prankster

#4427166 - 07/20/05 07:28 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

O.K. they always say that the pins for the first, second, third, etc. etc. flushes are all created in the initial pinset. So how does that info co-exist with scraping after the first flush.

Apparently you are talking about destroying all of these initial pins, and then re-initiating a new pinset? Is that correct?

--------------------
Through the excercise of patience, one may learn humility..

Smoke plenty of green, and eat fungus!!!!
:peace::heart::slomo::gd_icon::gd_icon::gd_icon::slomo:

Trip Report

OfflineGNIOM1498
Death Cup
 User Gallery

Re: Geting Moisture to an Overlayed Casing... [Re: Smallworlds]
    #4427174 - 07/20/05 07:37 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Smallworlds said:
O.K. they always say that the pins for the first, second, third, etc. etc. flushes are all created in the initial pinset. So how does that info co-exist with scraping after the first flush.

I have never heard of this. I do get more pins though when I scrape after the 1st flush. I did this after a 2nd flush once and I got more pinning on my 3rd flush then on my second. Also I love to rehydrate my shit. I pour water on my casing, what about misting? no no no fuck misting that shit needs the water after it gets soaked in I take a fork sterilize it and run it through the casing layer. I did this recently 2 days later got pinning.

--------------------

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Geting Moisture to an Overlayed Casing... [Re: Smallworlds]
    #4427175 - 07/20/05 07:40 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Correct but not distroying just redistributing. You have a decent pinset already just keep it moist as in "near saturation" and you'll pull off more than one nice flush!
BYW FYI Overlayed casings produce little if any primordia, yours simply was initiated a few days to late remember that for next time, Congrads on your first casing bro! Not half bad and don't be shy with that mister! :wink: GL

--------------------
Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.
Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:
Not what is overlay but rather what overlay is
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #4427186 - 07/20/05 07:49 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

GNIOM1498 said:
Quote:

Smallworlds said:

I have never heard of this. I do get more pins though when I scrape after the 1st flush. I did this after a 2nd flush once and I got more pinning on my 3rd flush then on my second. Also I love to rehydrate my shit. I pour water on my casing, what about misting? no no no fuck misting that shit needs the water after it gets soaked in I take a fork sterilize it and run it through the casing layer. I did this recently 2 days later got pinning.

This is called initiating the pinset you do this only once. What you are doing is simply redistributing your initial pins. After this initial pinset pins still form but at a slower rate but the majority of your flushes pins are created in the initial pinset (fact). GL

--------------------
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

OfflineSmallworlds
Trippin' fool -Merry Prankster

Re: Geting Moisture to an Overlayed Casing... [Re: hyphae]
    #4427203 - 07/20/05 08:06 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Thank you! Yes, I'm very pleased with what I got. Next I'll be trying for some "Better homes and gardens", picture perfect casings. lol

My undying gratitude goes out to you and everyone else here at the Shroomery who helped me hone my skills to make my results possible!!

--------------------
Through the excercise of patience, one may learn humility..

Smoke plenty of green, and eat fungus!!!!
:peace::heart::slomo::gd_icon::gd_icon::gd_icon::slomo:

Trip Report

OfflineBenKenobi
Enlightened 1
 User Gallery

Re: Geting Moisture to an Overlayed Casing... [Re: hyphae]
    #4427448 - 07/20/05 11:02 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Thanks for the words of encouragement hyphae, i dun think i would of gotten this far without your pinset strat. :thumbup:
I followed it based on a peat based casin mix when i was using coir and i think thats what caused me to get too much colinisation. Ive recently done a smaller peat casin with the same strain and its amazin how slower its taken to get through the casin layer.

So no need to try get any moisture down into the heart of the casing, will the myc just slowly absorb it off the top of the casin?, im bit worried it will be using up the moisture in the casin and then run out and not be able to get enough from the top.

Oh well ill just leave it for now and see how it goes, can be a learnin lesson as long as i get enough weight for a lil journey ill be wrapped :laugh:

--------------------
Old Ben

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #4428075 - 07/20/05 01:50 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

It will absorb alot of water from the substrate and air. Dont fuck with it, let it do its thing. It'll be shrunken and dry as hell when the flush finishes...then you can dunk. Maybe break the casing in half, submerge in water, then when you drain put the peices right up against eachother and fill in the edges with casing mix, LIGHTLY scratch, dont even put pressure, just rub the fork on the surface to disturb it, then cover lightly any holes or parts that should be covered.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

OfflineBenKenobi
Enlightened 1
 User Gallery

Re: Geting Moisture to an Overlayed Casing... [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4430182 - 07/20/05 09:54 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Ok thanks scat, sounds like some good advice there like usual. Will wait till its finished this flush then.

And yer your right about it going to be shrunken, its already pullin away from the sides of the container.

--------------------
Old Ben

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #4430279 - 07/20/05 10:16 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Lightly misting it will not hurt preformed pins bro it will only help things like yield (size), speed of maturation, substrate moisture reserves (shrinkage). It doesn't hurt in nature it won't hurt now as long as you have adequate fresh air exchange. Trust me :wink:

--------------------
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds   Amazon Coir, Peat

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation