Home | Community | Message Board

Gaiana.nl
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Rye Grain

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineDragoncaviar
Stranger
Mexicana Truffles
    #4422461 - 07/19/05 08:25 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I recently bought a grow kit with Mexicana Truffles in it.
Expected yield should be 150g. I am very pleased with my purchase but I do have a few questions.

Has anyone grown mexicana truffles before, and what potency should I expect? Will they be as potent as if I had bought them in a box straight from a sterile lab?

Should I wish to regrow, how simple is this, and what medium should I grow on. There is so much information about regrowing shrooms, but I am yet to find anything about regrowing truffles, however I am told that it can be done.
(My local head shop seems to vary their techniques from day to day. The more stoned he is, the more unbelievable the idea is. Once he told me to burn a truffle and use the ash from it to regrow).

I have never grown before, so anyone who knows about this, I would very much appreciate some details about what exactly I need to grow it on, what I need to put in the medium, which spores to use, (e.g. are they the tiny little ones that just haven't developed into truffles yet that look like seeds?) how long I should expect to wait until harvesting, will it be 12 weeks like they are from the lab in my current kit, will I lose potency, what yield can I expect, how much water do I need to put in, all that kind of stuff.

Advanced thanks to anyone who can reply with anything of use.

Thanks  :laugh: :thumbup: :laugh:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineJellyRollMorton
Stranger Danger
Loc: Bobland
Re: Mexicana Truffles [Re: Dragoncaviar]
    #4422647 - 07/19/05 10:47 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Hmmm, my experience is only with cubensis truffles but i can tell you this...
1 first go into the archives and just start reading everything you can until you have a basic concept of what to do.
2 to start again you will need to make a spore sprint, ask someone how do do so as i dont feel like typing that much or just use the search feature
3 you cannot see individual spores. they are way too small like only a few microns so i dont know what seeds you are talking about.
4 fuck grow kits. they are way to expensive and you don't know what you are getting. making your own set up with be like half the price, and you learn in the process. plus its way more fun to do it your self.
5 when you are ready to start, walk before you run. i.e. start with BRF cakes not trying whole grains and spawn runs.

so my advice is hang around on the board and just start reading everything and have fun with your new hobby

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Mexicana Truffles [Re: JellyRollMorton]
    #4422654 - 07/19/05 10:49 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

>my experience is only with cubensis truffles

Oh yeah??? And how was your experience with these magical cubie truffles that dont exist?

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

OfflineJellyRollMorton
Stranger Danger
Loc: Bobland
Re: Mexicana Truffles [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4422689 - 07/19/05 11:00 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I've found that many people don't mention different psilocybe species by name so i assumed he was speaking about psilocybe mexicana but didn't want to say it. So i replied to him in the same.... vernacular? is that the word im looking for?
you are of course correct though, but it would be nice if they did exist

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #4422711 - 07/19/05 11:11 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

He did mention by name that hes talking about Mexicana (theres only one, Psilocybe Mexicana). And when talking truffles there are only a few species that produce the stones, only 2 of which hed have, Mexicana or Tampanensis...and either way both grow basically the same. All your information reguards mushroom growing, not growing stones.

The kit you have should work fine, and kits are fine for starting off with truffles. Spores are expensive and harder to come by, and you have to work at it. Truffles are easy to grow and dont require anything but time. Theres a little info on them, but not much out there, and not much on this site. The medium to grown on would be either rye grass seed (usual) or rye berries (rye grain, winter rye ect). I've had good luck with stone production in rye. THe kit should have come with the substrate though. You got way to many questions and need to do some reading. Spores come suspended in water in syringes. You sterilize jars of moist seed and inject a cc of spore water into them, from there white mycelium grows. From there, truffle species turn a brownish goldish yellowish redish color and start forming stones on the glass. You leave them in the jars for 2-4 months after turning fully white (fully colonized) and then open the jars and harvest the stones. Potency of mexicana stones will be the same from a store, from the growkit, or made yourself. It may vary a bit, but mostly the same. I think 10-30 fresh grams of stones is a good number to use for a trip, 10 being lighter, 20 being medium, 30 being strong. It can definatly vary from person to person and stone to stone though.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Offlineblackout
Microwaver
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #4422800 - 07/19/05 11:36 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Dragoncaviar said:
Has anyone grown mexicana truffles before, and what potency should I expect?

Estimated as 2/3 as strong as cubes when both are dry, and twice as strong when comparing fresh weights, this is because stones have about 3 times more dry weight when fresh. I suggest finely grating them when fresh as they are compact an may pass through undigested (sweetcorn). They should be as potent as those commercially grown. I do not find sclerotia to be 2/3 as strong as cubes

Quote:

Dragoncaviar said:
Should I wish to regrow, how simple is this, and what medium should I grow on. There is so much information about regrowing shrooms, but I am yet to find anything about regrowing truffles, however I am told that it can be done.
(My local head shop seems to vary their techniques from day to day. The more stoned he is, the more unbelievable the idea is. Once he told me to burn a truffle and use the ash from it to regrow).

look up cloning. The proper name of truffles is sclerotia. They are easy to clone. Rye grass seed and rice are quoted in most books. Rye grain has been reported to give good results and is cheaper than seed. Some suggest soaking the rye grain in coffee. The head shop owner doesnt have a clue, most I meet know little about what they sell.

--------------------
support the free spore ring http://fsre.nl/

Edited by blackout (07/19/05 11:39 AM)

OfflineDragoncaviar
Stranger
    #4423342 - 07/19/05 01:45 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Ok that's great. I'll get reading on the archives.

I read this in another post(http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/4075873)

"I would also have paid the extra ?10, you will be able to clone the sclerotia and grow your own now. It is very easy, you cut open a stone with a sterile blade and scoop out some inner flesh and dump it in honey water. Keep some fresh in the fridge in a jar and you should be able to clone them for a long time. This is the bonus of buying stones, especially since the spores tend to be expensive"

Would that work?
I don't know if Blackout (the author of that post) will read this, but if so, would there be any chance I could have more details on that?
I gather that would be cloning the sclerotia, and then I could inject that into the truffles container. Really I just need more specific information. If anyone can help out there, then many regards  :smile:

OfflineDragoncaviar
Stranger
    #4423379 - 07/19/05 01:54 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Sorry about that post if most of it is irrelevant. I wrote it a couple of hours ago and only just posted it before reading the replies. Everyone has been so helpful. I have some old pictures of my truffles when they were about 16 days into ripening.
I think most people know what I am talking about, but the label says: "mycosphere psilocybe mexicana truffle grow kit"

I will post a couple of pictures in my next post. My truffles are 12 weeks ripe on the 20th July ... tomorrow! Yay!

Edited by Dragoncaviar (07/19/05 01:55 PM)

Offlineblackout
Microwaver
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #4423392 - 07/19/05 01:56 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Yep thats me! heres a thread with pics of my stone
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=Forum2&Number=4341875

If you have a syringe it is easier to do. Just core out some flesh with the needle, i.e. pass it right through a stone then inject it in some sterile 4% honey water. Somebody else reported simply putting a stone into a jar of substrate which then started to grow. With honey water you can inject a whole lot which will disperse all over your grains and quickly colonise.

--------------------

OfflineDragoncaviar
Stranger
Re: Mexicana Truffles [Re: blackout]
    #4423471 - 07/19/05 02:24 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

This might tell people some more about what it is I have.
These photos were taken a long time ago. My truffles now look a lot darker and ready to harvest. I think I might leave them another couple of weeks though.
When I said seeds earlier, I meant what I have circled in the last picture. Can anyone tell me what they are?
Thanks to everyone who has posted. There isn't much info out there about cloning truffles, but you have all helped.
I think I may use Rye Grass, it seems to be the most talked about medium.
Hope I can regrow successfully before the head shops finally stop stocking grow kits and shrooms!
If I do everything correctly in the most sterile environment possible, how many times would I successfully be able to regrow?
Thanks in advanced.

Offlineblackout
Microwaver
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #4426823 - 07/20/05 04:35 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Dragoncaviar said:
When I said seeds earlier, I meant what I have circled in the last picture. Can anyone tell me what they are?

That is just the grain in the jar, probably rice or rye grass seed.

40g wet sclerotia should dry to 12g if they are 30% dry matter, then this is 12x2/3=8g comparison to dry cubes.

Or wet is meant to the twice as strong so would equal 80g wet cubes, again 8g dry.

This is a huge dose. I do think the potency of them is overrated, maybe the tamps are far more potent than the mexicana and that is where the dosage came from. I never found my mexicana to be strong and put it down to poor growing methods and small stones. Then I got 15g fresh commercial stones which had one very large one. This should compare to 3g of dry cubes, I have had stronger trips from 1g of cubes. 3g of cubes blows me away.

Anybody else find mexicana weak, but tamps much stronger?
I have never tried tamps

--------------------

Edited by blackout (07/20/05 04:36 AM)

OfflineKalix
'Head

Re: Mexicana Truffles [Re: blackout]
    #4427769 - 07/20/05 12:43 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

IME 40g wet is like 1.75 g dry cubes.. They're not very strong (Mexicana)

--------------------

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: The Shotgun of Sweet Reason

OfflineTurquoise buttons
Psychonaut/empath
Male

#23721030 - 10/09/16 01:57 AM (1 month, 24 days ago)

Truffles are sclerota, which is a socialized form of mycelium. So all you would have to do is transfer a little bit of fresh truffle to some growing medium like sterilized rye, and it should propagate.All rules for sterility used I cubensis should be followed here as well. I mean, as far as I know.

OfflineTurquoise buttons
Psychonaut/empath
Male

Re: Mexicana Truffles [Re: Turquoise buttons]
    #23721033 - 10/09/16 01:58 AM (1 month, 24 days ago)

*specialized, not socialized.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Rye Grain

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation