Home | Community | Message Board

Vaposhop
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineCptCaveman
Stranger
Confirmation about indentification of Australian species
    #4422188 - 07/19/05 05:14 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

This is particularly for the ACT/Canberra area:

I already know what a p.sub looks like from description, photos and real life samples. I have seen many of the different variants that are not active and can look partly like p.subs in photo and in real life that grow in the Canberra area and can distiguish them apart quite easily as well.

From reading a lot about the dangers of magic mushroom hunting I have reached these conclusions:

- There are dangerous mushrooms that can look similar to p.subs.
- There are mushrooms that bruise blue that are not magic mushrooms and can be dangerous.

My Questions:

1) If a mushroom were to look like a p.sub (thin white stem, golden cap of varied shades for each mushroom, light coloured gills darkening as it ages, purple/brown spore print); bruise blue; grow in dead eucalypt leaves and rolled up bark, grassy gullys or in pine mulch and grass; grow in the colder months; and grow in the Canberra area - would it rule out any poisonous species?

2) All of the poisonous species I have researched that bruise blue and have gills do not grow in Australia. Is this true?

3) I talked to an experienced mushroom hunter of 20 years from Canberra who said on hunting in Canberra: "if it looks like a sub (white stem, golden cap, gills) and bruises blue then you're fine". This is simplified from what I said above, but is it correct even without a spore print?

4) Also, before I post any findings on this board should I be careful of authorities looking over this board ready to incriminate people? I have webspace from my web provider that I could post pictures on if I find anything on a hunt.

At the moment I'm just trying to get my hunting information correct before I pick and potentially ingest any mushrooms.

Thanks for the help :laugh:

Edited by CptCaveman (07/19/05 05:15 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblezee_werp
a fractalcreature
 User Gallery

Loc: Aotearoa
Re: Confirmation about indentification of Australian species [Re: CptCaveman]
    #4422447 - 07/19/05 08:00 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I would say yes to 1 and 3. Theres no poisonus shroom that I know of that looks like a sub and bruises blue. Especially given the criteria that you listed, I would be pretty damn sure it was a sub if those criteria were met.

Invisibletryptonite
mushroom ninja
Male User Gallery

Loc: aussie
Re: Confirmation about indentification of Australian species [Re: zee_werp]
    #4422466 - 07/19/05 08:30 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I think galerina is the only deadly lookalike you have to watch out for. the cap colour can look similair but the stem and gills are completely different. they are also very fragile and will break when you flick them (and dont bruise blue). when i first found subs it was immediately obvious it wasnt another mushroom because of its bluing and unique appearance, spore print wasnt needed. to be safe though you should get a camera and post the picture here for id. and if in doubt throw it out. good luck :thumbup:

--------------------
Entheogen Trade List

OfflineCptCaveman
Stranger
Re: Confirmation about indentification of Australian species [Re: tryptonite]
    #4425468 - 07/19/05 10:59 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Thanks for the help!

What about Q4 about posting pics?

Invisiblemoonrockmushy
High on Spite
 User Gallery

#4425927 - 07/20/05 12:39 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I wouldn't really worry about posting pictures.  Especially if you photograph them in a natural environment and keep yourself out of the pics there is no way to prove you every possessed the mushrooms.  If you always use common sense and follow the forum rules,in my opinion, you should be fine.

You had me really confused I thought you were talking about p. subbalteatus 'till I noticed you were'nt from US;  Was gonna be like, "You're crazy man those aren't subs." :doh:

anyways good luck

--------------------

Invisibletryptonite
mushroom ninja
Male User Gallery

Loc: aussie
    #4426784 - 07/20/05 04:25 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

yeah of course taking photo's of mushies isnt illegal, it is only if you are in possesion on illicit substances (psilocin and psilocybin). So post as many pics as possible, i will be very much looking forward to seeing some pictures of Psilocybe subaeruginosa from ACT. at the moment it is the only state in Australia without PA shroom pics. btw uploading pics to webspace may not work when u try to link it in the forums. the best and easiest way is to click on "My Pics" which is right below "Welcome CptCaveman" in the top left corner. then you just upload them and a thumbnail link code will show up, just copy and paste it into your post. Happy huntins mate! :thumbup:

--------------------
Entheogen Trade List

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification