Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineZingfharn
Stranger
Freezer, Calcium Chloride, and others
    #4418304 - 07/18/05 08:48 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Hello there.

I picked up some 'shrooms on a whim from a uk mushroom shop yesterday. It was from the a mushroom shop, from which I've bought before with pleasant enough results.

1) I've never had to store them before, though. So, I had to run out, and threw them in the freezer. I'm at work today, and looking into long term storage, when I discovered that they should not have been in the freezer at all. I've got my flat mate to take them out. Which is a start. They were in the freezer for about 15 hours, it seems. Now they're in the fridge. Should I just throw them away? What's going to be the best way to save them, if at all? Should I try fan drying them, and see what happens?

2) Where can I buy some calcium chloride, or silica gel? I've been poking around on the 'net to no avail. I'm the uk, and would ideally like a shop I could walk into. Otherwise, an online store with good delivery would be useful.

3) Do I never need to bother with a desiccant? Will fan drying be enough in this weather?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

edit: sources

Edited by gdman (07/18/05 08:52 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblegdman
badger, badger,badger...
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dancing In the Streets
Re: Freezer, Calcium Chloride, and others [Re: Zingfharn]
    #4418316 - 07/18/05 08:55 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Welcome to the shroomery! The reason why you are not supposed to store fresh mushrooms in the freezer is because the water inside the cells will crystalize and destroy the cell. With they thaw it will become mush. Try a search on drying technique, or go here.

--------------------

Got a question about a substance?  Erowid might already have your answer! Have questions about the  mushroom experience? The  Tripper's FAQ may have your answer or someone else might have had your question before.

I know up on the top you are seeing great sights, but down at the bottom we, too, should have rights.
  - Theodor Seuss Geisel Dr. Suess

"I didn't come here to be easily understood" - Steve

OfflineZingfharn
Stranger
Re: Freezer, Calcium Chloride, and others [Re: gdman]
    #4418337 - 07/18/05 09:06 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Hi, thanks for the welcome :smile:

I realised that freezing them was basically a bad idea from research that I've done this morning. What I'm trying to find out is if it's too late to rescue them?

Offlinelardnar
Pu Pu Platter
Male

Loc: Behind what appears
Re: Freezer, Calcium Chloride, and others [Re: Zingfharn]
    #4418844 - 07/18/05 12:08 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

If I were you I would throw them BACK in the freezer (I know it sounds dumb) because if they thaw they should be absolutely gross. Take them out of the freezer when you are ready to use them and mix them in a blender with some juice or whatever

--------------------
If your soul is sence this life is lost ...

Offlinerock_ten
Re: Freezer, Calcium Chloride, and others [Re: lardnar]
    #4419375 - 07/18/05 02:27 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

CaCl is in B&Q as a room dehumdifier product

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom